Alberg 30 Free to a good home in Ohio - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By troy2000

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2018 Thread Starter

Alberg 30 Free to a good home in Ohio

Hi I am in the process of moving and am afraid I have to cut sling load on the Alberg 30 project I have in the back yard. has an inboard volvo diesel 18 hp. rolling furler, sails that might work for half a season.

It needs quite a bit of work but I think the hull is solid. clean ohio title.

Some of the bits that need done:

Bulkhead under the mast step needs to be re-built with new support beam.

Engine mount pieces need to be re-anchored to the hull.

Overall general cleaning, refinishing, and refitting.

If your interested send me a private message ****** boat must be moved by licensed and insured boat mover at your expense, currently boat is sitting on shore stands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-26-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Alberg 30 Free to a good home in Ohio

Boat is a 64 model year. please see pictures. It looks like I have to get a greater post count before I can respond to PMs. so if you inquire if you may try to give an alternative communication method.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2279.JPG   IMG_2278.JPG   IMG_2277.JPG  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2018

Predicting a qualified half season of useful life in the sails was a good one.

First thing I would look at is the diesel. Last time it ran and condition. The tough part about all these project boats is the cost to put it back into shape vs. the value when you're finished. These are probably worth something in the $10k range, in fully fitted, good shape. The engine, sails, rigging, repairs, etc, can eat that up fast (and then some). It's sad to see them get to this point, because they are sometimes hard to rationalize the recovery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-28-2018

Going to be a hard sell, not being on a trailer. the cost to move is going to be what you can buy one for that is in the water and already to go.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Marine World Classifieds

Tried to PM but I don't have enough posts. Do you have more pictures. Wanted to see the inside and more pics of the hull if you can. Thank you.

Marine World Classifieds - Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Marine World Classifieds

Pls send pictures to [email protected]

Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Here's a writeup on Alberg 30's: The Alberg 30 Sailboat : Bluewaterboats.org

Seems like the sort of boat I'd enjoy, if I were in the market for a 30 footer. They're a little narrow and cramped by today's standards (although with good headroom), but they're apparently solidly built, sea kindly in rough conditions, reasonably fast, and definitely pretty. They aren't known for windward performance, but I'm willing to bet there's room for improvement with some tweaking.

A project boat (or vehicle, or house or whatever) can't really be judged by comparing its finished cost to its potential resale value; people who like projects are generally more into the satisfaction of completing them than they are into cost analysis. For example: on a much smaller scale, I've been known to rebuild small engine carburetors when I could have bolted on a new one for less money and in a fraction of the time...
Scottelly likes this.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:46 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 3 Weeks Ago

That's almost the same as my Bristol 30, which I paid thousands for, and thought I got a steal. Mine was in the water and I was able to motor away from the dock though . . . and it has a running, two-cylinder Yanmar diesel in it, rather than the similar-horsepower Volvo. Does it have any soft spots? how's the tiller? (. . . or does it have a wheel?) It looks like an interesting boat, but I have to say that unless you know what you're doing with that boat, it could end up costing more than it would cost to get a boat like a running, floating Alberg 30 or Bristol 30 (or Bristol 29 or Bristol 29.9). Albergs are legendary boats though, and there aren't many boats that would be more worthwhile spending money and time fixing them up. I'm not saying you'd get all your money back, after spending $20,000 or $30,000 fixing up this one, but if you did that much to it, you'd likely have one hell of a nice, super-seaworthy boat . . . as long as you're careful about what you do to it (and how you do it). If I didn't already need to do a bunch of work to my Bristol 30, I'd seriously consider coming to Ohio and taking that gem off your hands.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in