SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Allmand (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/allmand/)
-   -   Another set of new allmand owners in FL (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/allmand/290570-another-set-new-allmand-owners-fl.html)

WSMFP 07-11-2017 06:50 PM

Another set of new allmand owners in FL

My wife and I bought a 83 31 footer about 7 months ago and I've done alot of repairs and improvements. The boat was very well equipped with solar and a newer beta 25hp so we were very happy to have found it. Unfortunately our surveyor missed a couple pretty big issues. Most significantly we had to replace the deck step because it had rotted. We had the mast down for about a month fixing that and replaced the standing rigging. I also removed the CNG system and installed a new Origo 6000 Alcohol stove which we like alot. The next biggest expense so far was replacing a ancient alder barbour refrigeration and replaced it with a Isotherm unit that actually works too well. It freezes anything within a foot of the evaporator even in the Florida summer.

We are looking at adding a AC unit soon so I'm open to suggestions about the BTU size and where to mount the unit.

We are sailing Tampa Bay most weekends. Hoping to share info here as I've dug into alot of systems on the boat.

Teamstone 01-30-2019 09:12 AM

Re: Another set of new allmand owners in FL

Hello there WS

As you can see, we are not very active here, but welcome!

I am the proud owner of a Allmand 35 at Burnt Store Marina near Cape Coral.

Drop me a line.

Tom
AbacoMyst

capta 01-30-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSMFP (Post 3991010)
MThe next biggest expense so far was replacing a ancient alder barbour refrigeration and replaced it with a Isotherm unit that actually works too well. It freezes anything within a foot of the evaporator even in the Florida summer.

Sorry to be of no help and ask questions, but which unit did you install in how big a box? Did you use the existing box or build new with modern insulation? Also, do you have any idea of your 12 power consumption over 24 hours on a hot Fla day?
Thanks.

Teamstone 01-30-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051580120)
Sorry to be of no help and ask questions, but which unit did you install in how big a box? Did you use the existing box or build new with modern insulation? Also, do you have any idea of your 12 power consumption over 24 hours on a hot Fla day?
Thanks.

Previous owner had converted the original ice box on my 35 using a IsoTherm using the original box. Not sure my 12v draw from it. I will say, since I am typically on the dock, I use it as a freezer and than have it on only during the day while sailing (when I can get some recharge from my Solar).