Passage from US to Abaco Dec 2018 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-08-2018 Thread Starter

Passage from US to Abaco Dec 2018

Is there anyone sailing from the US mainland to Abaco over the next couple weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-09-2018

Re: Passage from US to Abaco Dec 2018

Interesting question for a first post. Welcome, btw. I assume this isn't a trivial question. If you're looking to hitch a ride, I would provide a bit more about what you bring to the table or why someone might consider bringing you along. Experienced watchman, cook, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-10-2018 Thread Starter

Hi Minnewaska:
Yes, I understand. I guess I didn't qualify much. Im not quite comfortable navigating this site quite yet. I am not looking to be crew. I have a boat that I just took over from Florida and its now in the Bahamas. I am looking for transport to Bahamas of parts that were left off my boat in Florida.

post #4 of 17 Old 12-11-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSnider View Post
Hi Minnewaska:
Yes, I understand. I guess I didn't qualify much. Im not quite comfortable navigating this site quite yet. I am not looking to be crew. I have a boat that I just took over from Florida and its now in the Bahamas. I am looking for transport to Bahamas of parts that were left off my boat in Florida.
Don't think anyone is going to volunteer to deal with Bahamian customs on behalf of a stranger.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-11-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Don't think anyone is going to volunteer to deal with Bahamian customs on behalf of a stranger.
That's a brief way of saying that a Bahamas customs are very efficient. If you take boat parts into their country for another person there may be a duty payable. This duty paid in cash maybe more than the used parts are worth.
So it might be a bit difficult.

Also the person bringing the parts over doesn't know you, doesn't know if you have drilled holes and inserted cocaine, fanantyl etc.

capta likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #6 of 17 Old 12-11-2018

I've not done it, but I understand parts can be shipped into many/most countries, labeled for a vessel in transit and avoid duty. Not sure that works on a private vessel, delivering stuff to a stranger. As others have said, pretty unlikely someone will get involved.

How much stuff, how big. Why not just have it put in a box and shipped. Are you on a remote out island? I've been to several where others have described the extraordinary amount of time it takes to receive shipments. I did witness the mail ship arrive on Cat Island nearly 20 years ago. It came once per week and had everything, mail, packages, food for the local store, everything. Watching the process to unload it was more painful that watching paint dry. No one cared one little bit about getting anything done. Ever.

Later that day, I was speaking with an old Tory family descendant, whose ancestors were given land there at the end of the Revolutionary War. He said, if the locals didn't fill there entire day doing that work, they would have nothing else to do. Interesting point.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-11-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've not done it, but I understand parts can be shipped into many/most countries, labeled for a vessel in transit and avoid duty. Not sure that works on a private vessel, delivering stuff to a stranger. As others have said, pretty unlikely someone will get involved.

How much stuff, how big. Why not just have it put in a box and shipped. Are you on a remote out island? I've been to several where others have described the extraordinary amount of time it takes to receive shipments. I did witness the mail ship arrive on Cat Island nearly 20 years ago. It came once per week and had everything, mail, packages, food for the local store, everything. Watching the process to unload it was more painful that watching paint dry. No one cared one little bit about getting anything done. Ever.

Later that day, I was speaking with an old Tory family descendant, whose ancestors were given land there at the end of the Revolutionary War. He said, if the locals didn't fill there entire day doing that work, they would have nothing else to do. Interesting point.
From a few interactions with Bahamian customs importing parts for a "vessel in transit" I can assure you that their laws are completely irrelevant. Duties are entirely dependent on the mood of that particular officer on that particular day.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-11-2018
Master Mariner

Just box the stuff up, add invoices for each and every item and mail it through the PO if time is of no concern. FedEx and DHHL are speedier (certainly not overnight or anywhere near that) but much more expensive.
If the parts are too big for a box, surface shipping is very, very cheap. We shipped a diesel engine and a 600# barrel of chain all the way to Trinidad for around us$150.00 each.
No matter which way you ship, supplying invoices for your own items will probably be the most difficult task. You really do not want the customs officers to value the items. When I was there duty could be 100% on many items, including my own equipment sent from the Bahamas for rebuild, to the states, so consider carefully if what you are sending is worth the duty.
Also, it is highly likely that you will require a 'customs broker' to do the paperwork and deal with the customs officials. These guys are not cheap (up to several hundred dollars local currency), but you can shop around and they may save you some duty.
The biggest problem arises when you are not at the port of entry. If you are in the Abacos and the items arrive in Nassau, then you will absolutely need someone (a customs broker) to get your items through customs and on to Abaco.
Good luck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 17 Old 12-11-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Just box the stuff up, add invoices for each and every item and mail it through the PO if time is of no concern. FedEx and DHHL are speedier (certainly not overnight or anywhere near that) but much more expensive.
If the parts are too big for a box, surface shipping is very, very cheap. We shipped a diesel engine and a 600# barrel of chain all the way to Trinidad for around us$150.00 each.
No matter which way you ship, supplying invoices for your own items will probably be the most difficult task. You really do not want the customs officers to value the items. When I was there duty could be 100% on many items, including my own equipment sent from the Bahamas for rebuild, to the states, so consider carefully if what you are sending is worth the duty.
Also, it is highly likely that you will require a 'customs broker' to do the paperwork and deal with the customs officials. These guys are not cheap (up to several hundred dollars local currency), but you can shop around and they may save you some duty.
The biggest problem arises when you are not at the port of entry. If you are in the Abacos and the items arrive in Nassau, then you will absolutely need someone (a customs broker) to get your items through customs and on to Abaco.
Good luck.
Customs in Marsh Harbour, can ship there.
I was hit with 300% on one shipment that was a free replacement under warranty .... he was having a bad day

post #10 of 17 Old 12-11-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Customs in Marsh Harbour, can ship there.
I was hit with 300% on one shipment that was a free replacement under warranty .... he was having a bad day
Did you need a customs broker?
Down here, on many islands, it is required.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in