The Passing of TQA John Duncker - Elephant's Child - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: The Passing of TQA John Duncker - Elephant's Child

There are always anecdotal exceptions to everything. I just thought Iíd add that some close friends of mine just crewed for their Fatherís friend to help him relocate his 50ft sailboat from Newport to Annapolis. He and his wife cruise all over New England, every summer, without help, but in shorter hops. They took on crew only for the open water trip home.

My friends are 60 and 63, the owner/cruiser is 80!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Looking back I was in "perfect" condition when I was 60... I was completely unaware of what that would feel like. I never was in the hospital, broke a bone or even did much exercise. I just got up each day and my body worked the way it did the day before. At 60 I was just beginning to have some hearing loss... and didn't need hearing aids. Didn't think twice about lifting / man handling an OB from a cart into the trunk.

What a difference a decade makes!
Jeff_H and capta like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #13 of 13 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Weíre getting ready to fly back to Grenada recommission the boat and do the islands are harbors weíve havenít spent enough time in. On my birthday (early June ) I went septic from a leg infection so couldnít do the final chores to put the boat to sleep on the hard at Clarkeís Court. Because I was limited to bed wife needed to flip the switches to drain the fresh water tanks. She fell 10í and broke her foot in three places falling from the top of the ladder.
Next day we flew home. I got admitted to hospital. She had her fractures addressed correctly. Itís now months later. Iím finally scabbed over with minimal pain but sheís still braced (although now able to weight bear some). She was the one with better balance, fine motor and better up the mast. I was the one with better strength and technical knowledge. Weíre a good team. But now we are totally de conditioned. Thatís the saving grace of cruising. Even if you are lazy and donít like exercise just cruising forces you to be constantly doing balance exercises, use your core, do things requiring upper body strength. You donít exercise your legs much nor build endurance but if you hike or snorkel time to time you fill in that gap.
Itís rare to see a deconditioned cruiser. Think that allows many cruisers to age more gracefully.
However you can blame everything on your parents. Unfortunately genetics has a lot to do with it.
I kind of agree with the deconditioned cruiser statement . That it allows them to age gracefully. Most of my cruiser friends are in pretty good condition except for their skin and eyes. Their brains are still on hyperdrive. Their mental states very positive.

The only major negative is The sun weathers them disproportionately and unless you have really good sunglasses takes a toll on vision. Many of them look weathered.

Iím sure that cruiser have a greater incidence of melanoma however Iím not backing this with any metrics as Iím just using common sense with increased expose, come increased risks.

But genetics is a large player as was said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in