11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 230 Old 12-15-2014
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Sailnet Suggestion Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpip4x4 View Post
can you add a section in the gear and maintenance just for "Sails" or a thread all by its self. It is the most important piece of equipment we have on the boat!!
After discussion, this is not something we're going to implement at this time.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 230 Old 12-15-2014

Apparently I was, DRFarron. Thanks.
Still totally counter-intuitive, I think. I guess you're supposed to figure out that you're supposed to copy the text under the little TV commercial into the box. Might as well just close the search feature to people not logged in, if it's a source of problems.
post #223 of 230 Old 12-15-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VallelyJ View Post
Apparently I was, DRFarron. Thanks.
Still totally counter-intuitive, I think. I guess you're supposed to figure out that you're supposed to copy the text under the little TV commercial into the box. Might as well just close the search feature to people not logged in, if it's a source of problems.
This is the first we've heard about it. I'm pretty sure that it isn't a widespread issue.

I think by now the captcha boxes are well known and they are necessary to help keep out bots. Considering the amount of human spammers who register, I'm not going to recommend getting rid of it.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #224 of 230 Old 12-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
If I remember correctly from working on cars with my dad, you have to pay for workshop manuals (also referred to as service manuals). They aren't the same as the instruction manual that comes in the box and that most manufacturers already have online.
No, they're not. Yes, they are charged for.

Copyright is usually reserved for a 'for-profit' pursuit. I am not, of course, talking about charging for the service, this is information freely shared.

For example: If you go to the site 'bluemoment dot com' there is a fairly comprehensive library of shop manuals there. Sailing and Yachting Downloads Marine Engione Manuals

I have also seen threads at various fora with linx to downloadable shop manuals, but as I said, the problem with that is that the linx grow old or aren't maintained.
post #225 of 230 Old 12-15-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
No, they're not. Yes, they are charged for.

Copyright is usually reserved for a 'for-profit' pursuit. I am not, of course, talking about charging for the service, this is information freely shared...
They would still be under the control go the holder of the copyright. Whether it is for-profit, non-profit, or whatever, the copyright holder has the legal authority to control any reproduction (with some limited exceptions, which would almost never include anything more than small excerpts).

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." --- E.B. White
post #226 of 230 Old 12-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin'_Tain View Post
They would still be under the control go the holder of the copyright. Whether it is for-profit, non-profit, or whatever, the copyright holder has the legal authority to control any reproduction (with some limited exceptions, which would almost never include anything more than small excerpts).
True, I should have been clearer. Given how easy (for the most part) it is to find these things hosted, I would be surprised to find that these engine mfg pursue those who publish just for knowledge. After all, these manuals facilitate parts purchases, if not labor sales. I'd be surprised if the engine mfg think there's enough in it if the repros aren't up for sale. I'd also posit that the worst that would happen is a nasty letter requesting that the thread/page be pulled.

I did, after thought, go and look at my saildrive manual pdf. I don't see any copyright info on it at all.(?)

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 12-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.
post #227 of 230 Old 02-15-2015
Bill SV Rangatira

Send a message via Skype™ to Bill-Rangatira

Can we include BC in this forum
maybe the title should indicate so?
Pacific Northwest & Alaska - SailNet Community

post #228 of 230 Old 06-03-2015

Why don;t you have a spot that shows/tells how to start a new thread. Been a member for years and don't know how to start a new thread. Maybe to old or....
post #229 of 230 Old 06-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxie View Post
Why don;t you have a spot that shows/tells how to start a new thread. Been a member for years and don't know how to start a new thread. Maybe to old or....
Never too old...

To start a new thread you need to select the topic/forum you want to post in (far right of your 'new posts' page in light blue is the forum that the listed post is actually in - eg 'General discussion, Gear and Maintenance, or Learn to Sail etc etc

When you click that link you get a listing of all threads in that forum. At the top left just above the first thread on the page is a 'Start New Thread' button. Click on that, type your Post#1, submit it and you're off. This works for all the forums. So say for example you have a diesel engine question, go to 'forums/gear and Maintenance/Diesel engines' the post a new thread there..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #230 of 230 Old 11-07-2019

Maybe this already exists and I don't know about it, but I can imagine a sister site wiki could be very helpful. Maybe not 'sailing' oriented, but boating in general, or cruising. There are so many questions that have been asked 100 times and people respond by referencing old conversations. What a forum is really good for is having conversations, it's not as good as a reference or encyclopedia. I cam imagine plenty of topics that have been discussed, and could later be distilled down to summaries, FAQs, How To's etc. I imagine a lot of posters here would have fun creating those pages and arguing over their content as well. A page outlining the different type of anchors out there, a page for anchoring technique, a page for bedding technique, a page for... everything. I could see a lot of questions and discussions popping up in the forums, that result in someone saying 'we should update the wiki with this'. Everyone doesn't have to agree to have a wiki, pros and cons can be listed, and difference of opinion noted, or maybe reference related forum conversations on a wiki page for reference and further detail. Ultimately I think we could have a seriously valuable reference resource for all kinds of boaters. I could also see a wiki helping to drive constructive discussion on the forum as well, "so are you saying something new that we should list as a con for catamarans or just saying the same things we have heard before? if you look at the wiki you can see all the potential cons already listed..."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in