Recommended Reading - Page 56 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #551 of 558 Old 01-25-2018

Re: Recommended Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
I'm trying to make my way through Airborne, and I need reasons for continuing to the end. While I appreciate the vocabulary lessons and his command of English, I find it difficult to keep the idea out of my head that I'm reading something by an elite snob with too much money and nothing better to do than write about how he spends his free time.
I was once out sailing my first boat a Bristol 24 late in the season on Long Island Sound. I was alone and came across another boat also sailing that late fall afternoon. I recognized the name as Buckley's boat at the time and could see him looking at me through binoculars. A some time later I met him backstage of a TV show. I introduced myself and mentioned our paths had crossed out on Long Island Sound. He responded "My Gawd I hope I didn't run into you."
I did enjoy his book Atlantic High.
willyd likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #552 of 558 Old 01-25-2018

Don't know if it's already been recommended:

One of my favorite books on history, not just sailing. Amazing people with an amazing history, the Polynesians.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." óThoreau
post #553 of 558 Old 11-24-2018

Sorry if this has been asked....my wife is coming round to the idea of sailing the ICW and cruising in general. So much so that sheís asked for a book about life on the ditch as a present for Christmas. So Iím looking for recommendations. Hopefully a book by a woman author with kids but thatís not a hard and fast requirement. Any ideas?

post #554 of 558 Old 11-25-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudrx3 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked....my wife is coming round to the idea of sailing the ICW and cruising in general. So much so that sheís asked for a book about life on the ditch as a present for Christmas. So Iím looking for recommendations. Hopefully a book by a woman author with kids but thatís not a hard and fast requirement. Any ideas?
You won't be doing much actual sailing on the ICW but the bits that I've motored, I enjoyed. Lots of wildlife. I don't know of a book specifically written by a woman specifically written about the ICW but I'll check my shelves for sailing books by female authors. I did follow a few blogs and YouTube channels where there were kids on board (it isn't as rare as non-sailors think) and a former SailNet moderator (CruisingDad) and his wife raised two kids on board. The kids were teenagers before they lived on land full time.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #555 of 558 Old 11-25-2018

Dock

Quote:
Lifeís a Ditch is a good read about the ICW....

Andy
Cruising
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #556 of 558 Old 11-26-2018

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked....my wife is coming round to the idea of sailing the ICW and cruising in general. So much so that she’s asked for a book about life on the ditch as a present for Christmas. So I’m looking for recommendations. Hopefully a book by a woman author with kids but that’s not a hard and fast requirement. Any ideas?

Check out:

Once Around Is Not Enough: Cruising America's Great Loop

By Capt John C Wrighty

He has a great website as well.
http://captainjohn.org/GL-1.html

Last edited by midwesterner; 11-26-2018 at 04:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to midwesterner For This Useful Post:
Gaudrx3 (11-28-2018)
post #557 of 558 Old 11-28-2018

@ Andy, Thank you. Finished Life’s a Ditch last night. Good read. Wife is starting it today.

Last edited by Gaudrx3; 11-28-2018 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added clarification
post #558 of 558 Old 11-28-2018

@ Midwesterner. Thank you, Iíll find it and read it.

And happy holidays to all,

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in