Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain - Page 31 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 865 Old 10-09-2015

Re: Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain

We're cruising right now and Active Captain on my Garmin Bluechart
on our IPad has been the single most useful thing on the whole damned boat!

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 865 Old 10-09-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We're cruising right now and Active Captain on my Garmin Bluechart
on our IPad has been the single most useful thing on the whole damned boat!
Dude - what about your sails - and booze? Let's not get carried away here.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-09-2015 at 06:37 PM.
post #303 of 865 Old 10-09-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude - what about your sails - and booze? Let's not get carried away here.
Good point. For the most part I don't even like messing around with sails unless there is going to be some booze involved somewhere along the way.

Does WWG list the booze spots?
smackdaddy likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #304 of 865 Old 10-09-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Good point. For the most part I don't even like messing around with sails unless there is going to be some booze involved somewhere along the way.

Does WWG list the booze spots?
Wouldn't that be pretty much every anchorage and marina?
post #305 of 865 Old 10-09-2015

I suppose it's some kind of sickness, but I generally follow these types of threads...at least for a bit...because they can be entertaining. But after about the third or fourth volley I normally get bored.

I should say right off that I use AC and find it useful. I also think the rest of offerings--eboatcards, companion, etc--are positively creepy. As I've said before, I sail to get away, not to locate my BFFs and hang out. But I also know I am in the minority with this view. It's cool. To each his own.

However, I have learned a couple of things from this thread and have to give thanks to Smack for those. First is just learning about the existence of WWG's site. Always appreciate finding out about new resources and I can evaluate them to see if they work for me. Second, I appreciated learning about how AC markets itself to potential sponsors. Now I've heard it said more than once about free apps that "if you're not paying then you're the product" but the details were still pretty eye opening.

I'm going to keep using AC for now, but hope that WWG becomes a stronger competitor. Actually, for written cruising guides to the Chesapeake Bay, I far prefer the one written by Chesapeake Bay magazine to WWG so maybe THEY should write an app.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
post #306 of 865 Old 10-09-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
However, I have learned a couple of things from this thread and have to give thanks to Smack for those...
Thanks Jim. That's been my intent.
post #307 of 865 Old 10-10-2015

Lots of blather on this thread, a lot of it from smack. I'll use any resource that is useful. AC is useful. WG is useful. That said, I've gotten my share of bum steers from WG in print over the years, so why would I expect perfection from the WWG ap (or any other ap)?

Seriously, WG caused me serious inconvenience in FL, MD, and MA over the years, by providing incorrect information about pumpouts, boating faciities, and fuel resources. AC is not perfect either and there are some naive inputs there as well. All that said, I'll keep an open mind about emerging sources of information for sailors. Recently, I've been impressed by Garmin Bluechart (with AC).

As always, we will filter our inputs as best we can.
post #308 of 865 Old 10-10-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailserenade View Post
That anchorage at High Island Bridge has an average rating of 2 stars in ActiveCaptain. In the approach text is says, "Silted to 2 feet on 5 January 2009." One review implies you can get in with about 4 feet but that probably is tide dependent.

It's a good thing that WG has it documented as 6-8'. I guess you've checkmated me about the quality of their expert reviewing versus the quality of the crowd, right?
2-3' is about right. Skipper Bob's Cruising the Gulf Coast 11th edition still shows 6-8'.

I'm too tired to check AC and WWG, but scratch Wallace Bayou at mile 80.4. We couldn't get in due to draft (less than 5'). So....a 66 mile day, and we are in Houma, La. tied up under the twin bridges.

Man, ya gotta love these Louisiana swamp anchorages. Bring your bug spray folks! Last night, anchored in the Charenton Drainage Canal (mile 123), the mosquitoes were ripping at the screens, and hammering on the hull for blood...

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

Last edited by RTB; 10-10-2015 at 10:48 PM.
post #309 of 865 Old 10-10-2015 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
...I'll keep an open mind about emerging sources of information for sailors...
Cool.
post #310 of 865 Old 10-11-2015

Read this thread with interest and conclude there is something to be said for being old school. Look at your chart and pick a spot. Do a circle the length of your expected swing around that spot. Go back to that spot and drop.
Sure it's great to put a waypoint at your spot to make sure you did it right. It's great you can plug in the spot to your anchor alarm program. And it's wonderful you can use sonic depth instead of a lead line as you creep around your circle. And sure convenient to have digital charts. But still pretty old school. And safe.
blowinstink likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in