New Navigation Video Series - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

2Likes
  • 2 Post By capta

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2018 Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-02-2018

Re: New Navigation Video Series

The video was well done. A couple of comments.

The video showed a fairly sporty looking beach cat. You then proceeded to do some position plotting on a relatively small scale chart in open water, offshore in the vicinity of a Traffic Separation Zone.

For small vessel navigation I will generally go electronic with a handheld GPS, but I realise electronics are beyond the scope of the video.

For small vessel pilotage I have three primary types of charts I use. You didn't really mention any of those options. For small vessel navigation my chart selection options might include;
-Waterproof strip charts contained in a waterproof chart display case lashed down to the tramp.
-8.5 x 11 chart and or google maps print outs formed into a booklet, also displayed in a chart case lashed down to the tramp
-I would consider a laminated chart book purchased from a third party (expensive)

For plotting on these small vessel charts, I probably wouldn't do anything, aside from maybe a mark 1 eyeball grease pencil mark.

The practice you show in your video is something I would more associate with cruising a large cruising vessel.
Attached Thumbnails
Chartbag.png  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
The video was well done. A couple of comments.

The video showed a fairly sporty looking beach cat. You then proceeded to do some position plotting on a relatively small scale chart in open water, offshore in the vicinity of a Traffic Separation Zone.

For small vessel navigation I will generally go electronic with a handheld GPS, but I realise electronics are beyond the scope of the video.

For small vessel pilotage I have three primary types of charts I use. You didn't really mention any of those options. For small vessel navigation my chart selection options might include;
-Waterproof strip charts contained in a waterproof chart display case lashed down to the tramp.
-8.5 x 11 chart and or google maps print outs formed into a booklet, also displayed in a chart case lashed down to the tramp
-I would consider a laminated chart book purchased from a third party (expensive)

For plotting on these small vessel charts, I probably wouldn't do anything, aside from maybe a mark 1 eyeball grease pencil mark.

The practice you show in your video is something I would more associate with cruising a large cruising vessel.
Thanks for the reply! The sporty Hobiecat is just the Intro to (almost) every Video on the channel and your absolutely correct the Navigation shown in the Video has nothing to do with that boat. The Series Terrestrial Navigation is meant for anyone who wants to learn about “analog” Navigation without electronics. We may cover the chart selection you mentioned in a future video!

I also agree that it’s not necessarily practical with normal sailing cruisers but I think its nice to know how to do it, if everything else should fail!

post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2018 Thread Starter

post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2018

Worst explanation of latitude and longitude I have ever seen.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2018 Thread Starter

post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2018 Thread Starter

post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2018
Master Mariner

Sorry, but you've pretty much started out on the wrong foot from the title.
terrestrial; "of or on dry land"
Then you wander off onto " “analog” Navigation without electronics." which I believe would be referred to in nautical parlance as DR, for dead reckoning and basic plotting.
Slayer and CVAT like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 08-15-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in