"Philosophy of Sailing: Offshore in Search of the Universe" - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-07-2018 Thread Starter

"Philosophy of Sailing: Offshore in Search of the Universe"

Here's a "trailer" for the new book, now available on Amazon.

Regards,
Christian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christian Williams For This Useful Post:
Sal Paradise (07-08-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-07-2018

Re: "Philosophy of Sailing: Offshore in Search of the Universe"

I am curious... no dodger... seems unprotected without. I delivered a boat with a bimini on a ocean passage. I took it down... too much windage. But left the dodger up.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 17 Old 07-08-2018

Seems cool enough but after a winter of no sailing after after years of nearly uninterrupted sailing the vid just makes me want to leave. Iíve noticed there are two types of sailors. No better or worse but different. Those who are happiest on passage. Those happiest exploring new landfalls. Both love sailing and boat life. Iíve always been interested in why that is.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 17 Old 07-08-2018

Push it to the limit....
post #5 of 17 Old 07-08-2018
Captain Obvious

outbound - winter is over!! Get out there!

He's in the Pacific North West so he doesn't need a dodger. This past week I was just hiding from the terrible heat and humidity here in NY.I was out day sailing yesterday and it fixed me up and I'm temporarily feeling great. But I have to start going a bit further pretty soon.

I just pushed the button on this purchase; I'll be in Newport for a week later this month and I can put this book in the cabin for afternoon nap/reading. I'll share my impressions of the book after that.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 07-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-09-2018 Thread Starter

>>>>I am curious... no dodger... seems unprotected without.

This comes up a lot. I can only say, try sailing without one. At best they are necessary evils that interfere with deck gear, block the view, create windage, have to be maintained and too often look ugly as sin and ill matched to the yacht. And they;re expensive.

They do provide wonderful handholds for the deck-companionway transition when fitted with stainless rails.

It is assumed a sailboat is naked without a dodger. In fact, it's just another choice. Some climates may demand it, although the practical value may be in some cases quite low (many dodgers aren't extended enough to sit under, and many provide no spray protection at all)

Their best value in steamy climates is allowing the sliding hatch to stay open in downpours, or supporting a full cockpit cover.

In temperate climates, try life without one. An open sailboat deck is a glorious thing, especially when reefing in a gale.

For crew shelter, I prefer weather cloths.

Last edited by Christian Williams; 07-09-2018 at 05:16 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-13-2018
Captain Obvious

I received my book within 2 days. I have not had time to actually read it all the way through yet as I am scrambling to get ready for vacation. But this morning I just flipped through it and read a few selected passages.

It is a very solid read, not like anything else I have ever read, chock full. Lots of detail, lots of sailing experiences packed in here. Its a real sailors book. First impression is very good and I will add more thoughts on it when I finish it. If Christian will allow me, I might post a short section of a favorite passage so you can get the flavor . Anyway - Go buy this book!
SanderO likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 17 Old 07-13-2018

Christian... re the dodger.

I have sailed my boat for 33 years and it includes a few tens of thousands of miles of offshore passages. My boat has a pretty high free board and is a dry sailer for the most part. I also delivered a sister ship with a bimini and that came down because it's not a good idea offshore in a blow.

Sailing upwind and in winds of over 15 apparent depending on wave height and period there will be spray. When it's bad it will deliver a nice shower to the cockpit. The dodger, mine which is quite low actually will take the brunt of the spray. I would not sail without the dodger. It also provide protection from sun and rain. I can sit facing forward on the bridge deck under the dodger and have excellent visibility and access to all instruments and controls. When it's not raining I sit under the dodger to stay out of the sun... no spray there either. The front "glass" is removable and is mostly not used... in mild conditions.

I consider it essential sailing gear and wouldn't go offshore or cruise without one. I don't know any other sailors except ocean racers which don't use a dodger.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2018 Thread Starter

Fair enough.

Regarding biminis--another of my opinions: an umbrella, instead, if climate permits. And any climate with seasons ought to permit.

I know it looks a little odd. But an umbrella can be put up or down when needed. It can be low, for shade where its needed. The mainsail can be easily seen by poking head out around it.

A market-style is best, with a vent. Mine is good to the first reef, about 17 knots to windward. Good all the time downwind.

The size is best measured from backstay to binnacle, the likely mount. Umbrellas are measured over the arc of the canopy, so an 8-foot umbrella is less than 8 feet point to point. Also, the ribs can go either side of the backstay, where the cloth retracts. Ergo, if backstay to binnacle mount measures 6 feet, a 7-foot umbrella may fit.

Yes, more than you wanted to know.
Attached Thumbnails
1-ERicson 38 umbrella.JPG  

post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2018

My first boat had neither a bimini, nor a dodger and I really didn't find the boat needed one, aside from some leaks around the hatch in the rain.

Second boat had a substantial dodger and bimini. Hated the dodger because I couldnt see through it on wet nights, and it interfered with some of my running rigging, so I prety much permanently removed it, but kept it on board for cold weather sailing. However, I left the bimini up al the time for sun and rain protection. Boat was big old leaky teaky and couldnt sail to weather very well any way, so no harm.

My current boat is tiny, but has a bimini designed to fold down out of the way entirely and has a dodger that attaches to the bimini with no independent hardware. Really nice set up. I never sail with bimini or dodger. Folding bimini goes up when motoring for sun protection and at dock or anchor. Dodger goes up at anchor/dock only for rain and wind. Seems like a nice compromise.

For some reason I cant seem to see right through even the cleanest soft dodger.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-14-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
christian williams , cruising , hawaii , philosophy of sailing , thelonious

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in