Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 Old 08-01-2018

Re: Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

I'm a really old (77), overweight, and lazy fart that raises the main sail on his 33 Morgan Out Island without breaking into a sweat. Never really thought about it, and never need to use the winch. I pull down using my 225 pound body, and the sail goes up. Nothing to it!

Before I got an electric windless for the boat, I hauled a 42-pound anchor attached to 50-feet of chain out of the mud on a regular basis, again, no sweat.

Now, maybe it would have been easier if I were in my 50s, slim, trim and getting ogled by the ladies. Ha! That's never gonna happen again, but I sure enjoyed those days.

Good Luck,

Gary
thecrabbycaptain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 Old 08-01-2018

I'll bet if us guys could do that silk thing on the foredeck, we get all the chicks. kevin
post #23 of 48 Old 08-01-2018

Sea legs - a term which I suppose means getting accustomed to the constant motion of the boat and not getting sea sick or even slightly so. It takes some time for you body to make the adjustment but it seems to sick for quite some time. After 5 or 6 months not being on the boat it takes me about a half an hr of sailing motion.. to adjust and then I seem to be fine for the rest of the season. I don't normally get sea sick... but have been a few times is very nasty conditions. But that's not bad for over 30 years of sailing. Wifey on the other hand was very prone to sea sickness and it's taken her maybe 10 years to feel comfortable and not get sea sick. She now misses the boat in the winter!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #24 of 48 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
I'm a really old (77), overweight, and lazy fart that raises the main sail on his 33 Morgan Out Island without breaking into a sweat. Never really thought about it, and never need to use the winch. I pull down using my 225 pound body, and the sail goes up. Nothing to it!

Before I got an electric windless for the boat, I hauled a 42-pound anchor attached to 50-feet of chain out of the mud on a regular basis, again, no sweat.

Now, maybe it would have been easier if I were in my 50s, slim, trim and getting ogled by the ladies. Ha! That's never gonna happen again, but I sure enjoyed those days.

Good Luck,

Gary

That's great. Now, to be clear, I'm not talking about some 250 sq.ft. rag that weighs 30 lbs. Those I can hoist with one hand. The mainsail has a full roach, made of some heavy multi-ply material, is ~650 sq.ft., weighs upwards of 100 lbs even without the 6 battens inserted, and resembles an X-ray blanket more than it does a typical Dacron bedsheet. It's just a different weight category than a 33-footer with a masthead rig and a small main.
post #25 of 48 Old 08-01-2018

I weighed my main, mainly because It felt pretty damned heavy when I was dragging it to the van a couple years ago. If I recall correctly, it tipped the scales at just over 80 pounds with the battens removed. 30 pounds would have been a dream to hoist - coulda' done it with one hand tied behind my back.

I'm fairly confident I could hoist a 100 pound plus main a few years ago, but since my back and lungs are shot to Hell, I wouldn't even attempt it. I'll stick with what I have for as long as I can still single hand the boat, and when I can't I'll sell it, or maybe give it to one of the kids if they want it.

All the best,

Gary
SanderO and thecrabbycaptain like this.
post #26 of 48 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
watch out for your sunglasses... I found that cable temples which hook around the ear are the only secure frames unless you use a croakie.

The video is fabulous!
Thank you!!
post #27 of 48 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post

Good Luck,

Gary
As my husband would say, It doesn't matter that your looks may be waning as you get older, because my eye sight is failing!
SteffanieS likes this.
post #28 of 48 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Sea legs - a term which I suppose means getting accustomed to the constant motion of the boat and not getting sea sick or even slightly so. It takes some time for you body to make the adjustment but it seems to sick for quite some time. After 5 or 6 months not being on the boat it takes me about a half an hr of sailing motion.. to adjust and then I seem to be fine for the rest of the season. I don't normally get sea sick... but have been a few times is very nasty conditions. But that's not bad for over 30 years of sailing. Wifey on the other hand was very prone to sea sickness and it's taken her maybe 10 years to feel comfortable and not get sea sick. She now misses the boat in the winter!
I always wondered if sea legs was the term for when you still feel like you are on a boat when you walk on land (the movement thingie) or if it was the term for getting used to being on the boat. Maybe I should ask this question in a forum and see what most folks say!
post #29 of 48 Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman_3rdClass View Post
That's great. Now, to be clear, I'm not talking about some 250 sq.ft. rag that weighs 30 lbs. Those I can hoist with one hand. The mainsail has a full roach, made of some heavy multi-ply material, is ~650 sq.ft., weighs upwards of 100 lbs even without the 6 battens inserted, and resembles an X-ray blanket more than it does a typical Dacron bedsheet. It's just a different weight category than a 33-footer with a masthead rig and a small main.
You have a 650 square foot main sail on a 40 ft boat and it weighs over 100 lbs?

That is quiet unusual. The specs for the Freedom 40 show a 483 square foot sail. Did you have it custom made to increase the area? How did that affect the balance?

For comparison purposes, the main on my Bristol 40 is 316 square feet and needs to be reefed pretty early. My entire sail area is 650 square feet with the genoa, less with the working jib I usually use in SF bay. I realize the displacement on the Freedom is larger, but why on earth would you need a 650 square foot main sail on a 40 foot boat?
post #30 of 48 Old 08-02-2018
bell ringer

I take it all back. I had the main reefed earlier today but the wind died down so decided to it take out and hoist the sail up the rest of the way. This is a lot harder than hoisting the sail normally because the reefing lines need to be pulled back through the blocks and that a lot of extra fiction. I did it on my full battened full roach main while my wife was down in the head.

When she came back up she said ď Damn you look all buff and hot, I want you!Ē

Ainít sailing grand?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
aerial silk , liveaboards , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in