Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with! - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 07-27-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

I know that pulling sheets and boat maintenance is hard work and will keep you in shape. But much of the time we are in a port (as now, waiting for hurricane season to pass) so what do I do for exercise? I do AERIAL SILK!
Check it what I do to stay in shape (at 56) and come watch me fly sometime in Coquina Harbor, Little River. I love putting on free shows!
Check out the new video at https://thecrabbycaptainandthesunnys...anging-around/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6152.JPG   sailboat.jpg   photo 2 (17).JPG  

Last edited by thecrabbycaptain; 08-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-27-2018

Re: Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

It appears that you are in good physical shape, and from those photos I would have never guessed your age.

Keeping in shape afloat is easy - just live on the boat. Keep in mind that a boat, by it's very nature is a great physical fitness device. This is because the boat is constantly in motion, even when tied to the dock. You body is constantly compensating for that motion, even at night while asleep in the Vee berth. You just don't realize this is happening.

When I traveled south down the ICW and offshore, I consumed a lot of calories, but during trip, I went from 225 pounds down to 195 in just 2 months. During the following three months, while my boat was tied to a bulkhead in Marathon City Marina, where there is almost no wave action to speak of, my weight drifted down to 177. I was still drinking booze, eating fattening foods, playing music and loving life.

So, even though you are unaware this is happening, it happens just the same. In my travels I meet a lot of cruisers, folks that have been cruising up and down the east coast for many, many years. Not a single one of them are out of shape. Unfortunately, I have since become a landlubber and gained back a lot of the weight I lost, but at this stage of life, 77-years-old, I no longer care about keeping in shape. I'm having a difficult time just making it to the next week.

As stated in the onset of my post, you appear to be in excellent physical condition, therefore, whatever you are doing, just keep doing it - it seems to be working!

All the best,

Gary
thecrabbycaptain likes this.
post #3 of 48 Old 07-28-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrabbycaptain View Post
I know that pulling sheets and boat maintenance is hard work and will keep you in shape.
It isn't really and it wouldn't

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 48 Old 07-30-2018
Sailing to Majorca next

Send a message via Skype™ to Amy Thome

Oh how cool. & beautiful
thecrabbycaptain likes this.

"Parce que je suis heureux en mer et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame" ("because I am happy at sea and perhaps to save my soul").~ Bernard Moitessier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 48 Old 07-30-2018

She is also into it...

SanderO and thecrabbycaptain like this.
post #6 of 48 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Red face Re: Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
It appears that you are in good physical shape, and from those photos I would have never guessed your age.

Keeping in shape afloat is easy - just live on the boat. Keep in mind that a boat, by it's very nature is a great physical fitness device. This is because the boat is constantly in motion, even when tied to the dock. You body is constantly compensating for that motion, even at night while asleep in the Vee berth. You just don't realize this is happening.

When I traveled south down the ICW and offshore, I consumed a lot of calories, but during trip, I went from 225 pounds down to 195 in just 2 months. During the following three months, while my boat was tied to a bulkhead in Marathon City Marina, where there is almost no wave action to speak of, my weight drifted down to 177. I was still drinking booze, eating fattening foods, playing music and loving life.

So, even though you are unaware this is happening, it happens just the same. In my travels I meet a lot of cruisers, folks that have been cruising up and down the east coast for many, many years. Not a single one of them are out of shape. Unfortunately, I have since become a landlubber and gained back a lot of the weight I lost, but at this stage of life, 77-years-old, I no longer care about keeping in shape. I'm having a difficult time just making it to the next week.

As stated in the onset of my post, you appear to be in excellent physical condition, therefore, whatever you are doing, just keep doing it - it seems to be working!

All the best,

Gary
Thanks so much for taking the time to write, Gary. All good information. I wish you well and maybe you can read our blog and offer some advice there. you can find it at The Crabby Captain and The Sunny Sailor

Take Care,
Cara
post #7 of 48 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

[quote=SVTatia;2051542156]She is also into it...

THAT IS ONE OF MY FRIENDS! I adore Annie and Philip and little known fact SHE is the one that got me into aerial silks!!! Shows how small the sailing world really is.

Thanks for the message,
keep in touch!
Cara
post #8 of 48 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
It isn't really and it wouldn't
you make a good point
post #9 of 48 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Thome View Post
Oh how cool. & beautiful
Thank you so much for your kind response,
Take care,
Cara
post #10 of 48 Old 07-31-2018

watch out for your sunglasses... I found that cable temples which hook around the ear are the only secure frames unless you use a croakie.

The video is fabulous!

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Tags
aerial silk , liveaboards , sailing

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in