Going Topless??! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 08-16-2018

Re: Going Topless??!

Same problem, Don - I Just Don't Look Good Naked Anymore! Not sure if I ever did.

Gary
NCboatrx and sailforlife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 08-16-2018

Did anyone actually watch the video? The title is just tongue in cheek , they sewed in a new window on their dodger...totally f****** harmless, kinda informative , I've never watched a vid of a sailrite , pretty hefty machine I might say , beefier than my grandmas singer . Nobody naked , nobody trying to sell you on signing up for xx amount a month ... if they score a few bucks from their vids , good on 'em , I couldn't do it , don't have the patience to film and edit , but as a unabashed morally flexible, politically incorrect male , give me a video with a attractive woman in a bikini on a boat and ill click the play button .
Some video of some overly serious sailing expert showing how to achieve proper sail trim, etc and they'd have to send me a check to watch it .... whatever makes ya happy ... funny thing is , if they had posted on the SA forums they'd be getting bashed because she wasn't topless !
post #13 of 25 Old 08-16-2018

I went shirtless yesterday. Had an estimated 2 hour sail/motor to our next island, which was recommended to us as having good beaching, we believed this inspite of the cruising guides indicating otherwise.

Less than an hour into our trip we ran into engine problems bucking a current. Dropped the anchor in 75 ft of water to hopefully slow down our drift. Got the engine restarted in short order. Went to haul up the anchor, felt like I was hauling up a load of bricks hand over hand. We put the kids below in the cabin and my wife started tailing on the cleat for me. After 40 minutes of manual heaving (no winches on board), we discovered we had snagged an old 80ish pound discarded anchor on our anchor. Took me another 20 minutes to clear the snagged anchor from our anchor with a canoe paddle.

Then proceeded up river to recommended island. No beach. Cliffs on all 4 sides. Engine started acting up again, so we proceeded up stream on a beat towards another probable island. Rounded the point and started flying on a run and reached the next island around 1800. Beached the boat and took off my life jacket. My wife was like OMG, your back is cooked. I had planned on 2 hours shirtless, got distracted by a bunch of stuff and ended up going 11 hours with no sunscreen or shirt. Luckily I have a good base tan, but it's pretty uncomfortable with big peeling.

You have to be careful about going shirtless. I wear a PFD, so my burns are limited to shoulders, belly and lower back, but I could imagine how it could have been worse in different circumstances.

post #14 of 25 Old 08-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I went shirtless yesterday. Had an estimated 2 hour sail/motor to our next island, which was recommended to us as having good beaching, we believed this inspite of the cruising guides indicating otherwise.

Less than an hour into our trip we ran into engine problems bucking a current. Dropped the anchor in 75 ft of water to hopefully slow down our drift. Got the engine restarted in short order. Went to haul up the anchor, felt like I was hauling up a load of bricks hand over hand. We put the kids below in the cabin and my wife started tailing on the cleat for me. After 40 minutes of manual heaving (no winches on board), we discovered we had snagged an old 80ish pound discarded anchor on our anchor. Took me another 20 minutes to clear the snagged anchor from our anchor with a canoe paddle.

Then proceeded up river to recommended island. No beach. Cliffs on all 4 sides. Engine started acting up again, so we proceeded up stream on a beat towards another probable island. Rounded the point and started flying on a run and reached the next island around 1800. Beached the boat and took off my life jacket. My wife was like OMG, your back is cooked. I had planned on 2 hours shirtless, got distracted by a bunch of stuff and ended up going 11 hours with no sunscreen or shirt. Luckily I have a good base tan, but it's pretty uncomfortable with big peeling.

You have to be careful about going shirtless. I wear a PFD, so my burns are limited to shoulders, belly and lower back, but I could imagine how it could have been worse in different circumstances.
I often think about picking up a small trailer sailor , even with the glitches you had that seemed like it was great fun .... as a point of reference for me , what's your boat weight? Being able to beach it must be awesome for outings ... great just what I need , another boat ....
post #15 of 25 Old 08-17-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Sounds like a cool adventure in spite of the troubles and burns. I splash my Hobie 16 when I get the small boat itch or the speed itch.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #16 of 25 Old 08-17-2018

My boat is 900 lbs and flat bottomed, draws 9".

Ajax, I have a beach cat for speed too. They aren't bad as camping platforms.

I am going to try and watch this video when I am back in the world of decent internet, sounds interesting and I have canvas repairs to make.

Dinosda, been off grid camping for about a week. Picking up LTE Cell Data and my solar is keeping up with our small electrical wants. We are in fresh water, so we are using a Katadyne Gravity filter and drinking river water.
post #17 of 25 Old 08-17-2018

Capta, you are very fortunate to have survived so well. I grew up in Miami and in the summer hardly wore more than cutoff jeans. I was as dark and Latino looking as my Cuban friends. But at age 31 both my eyes were operated on for ptygrium, even though I always wore a hat and sunglasses. Now at age 67 I have it again. Sometimes, all the protection in the world does not help. My old friends now would not think of going out in the S. Florida sun without a long sleeve, white shirt. I live on a sailboat in the tropics and I don’t recall any other cruiser running around naked in the poisonous sun; only on the “look at me” vlogs.
post #18 of 25 Old 08-17-2018

The one show-blog I used to check out now and then was Distant Shores.

I just can't get into a lot of what's showing up out there now. A lot of it is too contrived, too reality TV...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-R...xpXx96KsNVCrDw
overthehorizon likes this.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #19 of 25 Old 08-17-2018

I just let the bean bag hang lose ... Its kinda the same!
post #20 of 25 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I was going topless a few weeks ago when it was hot. I would post pictures, but get the feeling too many here couldn’t handle it!

Tags
topless

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in