Washing clothes on a boat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
I too notice that you are using the forum to promote your video blog business. I don't care pretty much one way or the other about that. I notice that you use sexual inuendo to draw people in. "Going Topless" and "Talking Dirty" are designed to get men to click on your site. Perhaps that works (I don't know), but it seems pretty manipulative. I do wish you well in your travels and in your video efforts. I have two comments about the video:

I notice you are using your clothes washer in the harbor, with the discharge of dirty water going into the harbor water. This is a pretty big error. Harbor water is dirty enough. If you're going to wash cloths at the harbor, you should walk it to a land based machine like the rest of us do, so that the water can be treated. If your thought was just to demonstrate the product, then demonstrate the use of it properly, and in an appropriate location.

A bucket can be used for so many things, including washing clothes. A single use item like the washer you are showing takes up storage space. A washboard and bucket might be a better idea. Or a plunger. On a fishing boat I crewed on once, we rigged a plunger to a small electric motor and washed our clothes in a bucket. Very luxurious.
I have asked and received many answers in these forums that i value very much. I do share my blogs but that is not my only purpose by any means. And the teasers just make it flirty and many people enjoy the ultimately tame play on words.
I did not know about that info you shared about the harbor. I was unaware and won't do it again.
Thanks for sharing the entertaining visual about the mechanical plunger! 🤣😂
Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 08-16-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Crabby, the thing is, and perhaps no one has wanted to risk offending you by letting you know this, most of us have no interest in washing soiled clothing on a boat. We have people whose job includes ensuring that fresh new clothes are purchased and stowed to replace the soiled ones, and other people who come and dispose of the soiled ones.

Laundering and re-using soiled yachtwear...really...that's just so desperate. I hope your situation improves.
Hahaha!!! I sure hope my situation improves to your level as well! Yes sir I do! 😄
post #13 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

Re: Washing clothes on a boat

The one thing Crabby is doing expertly is staying on the social media high road, even when taking a punch to the face. Most aren't very good at that.

The vids are clearly intended to be flirtatious. That will bait some in and turn others off. I think it's been proven by media experts that there is a sweet spot. Just a tad maximizes viewership. Both none and too much are limiting. I do think this had way too much and caused me to think how annoyed I might be at my wife, if she posted something like this on the internet. I'm not judging, I'm just saying there was an excess and it distracted me from wanting to watch more. Limiting.

Maybe more importantly, it was hard to hear at times, due to background noise/music and the video editing was very choppy.

As for the ecowash, I'm not a fan. I find it hard to believe it would outlast a 5 gallon bucket and a clean plunger/masher, which accomplishes the same thing, with the same amount of energy, and the bucket can multitask.
thecrabbycaptain likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #14 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

A good number of folks will put their dirty clothes on the floor of their shower and do the shuffle while showering as the major wash and then finish them off with a light dip and rinse before setting them to dry. Of course if you are more dirty than most of the clothes then rinse yourself off first before putting the clothes in the shower with you. Saves a lot of water and laundry soap.
post #15 of 43 Old 08-17-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

[quote=thecrabbycaptain;2051546334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
If you use biodegradable soap in your washing machine is discharging the grey water in the harbor much of an issue?

Crabby,
There is a 'cruising videos' forum which might be more appropriate for posting links to a vlog. Probably catch less grief if you did.[/QUOTE
Thank you 😊
It depends.

Know your local regulations. Some harbors are "NDZ" (Non-discharge Zones) That means *any* kind of discharge, even gray water.
Even if your local harbor is not an NDZ, if the harbor has a slow rate of water exchange (tides and currents) then the soaps build up as TakeFive said, and cause problems. TakeFive is also correct in that the "biodegradable" label is misleading.

In my opinion, gray water is more difficult to contain compared to black water. Showering, laundry and dish washing generate large amounts of gray water in comparison and would require large amounts of tankage and frequent trips to the pump out in order to keep all of it from entering the environment. It's not easy and I don't know anyone who never discharges gray water but nearly everyone I know tries to be responsible with their use of soaps and detergents.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #16 of 43 Old 08-17-2018
Master Mariner

Thing is, if you had bothered to do a search, you would have found that this unit, others like it, buckets and plungers have all been discussed seriously at least a few times before for doing laundry on a boat. I didn't watch your video, but I find it difficult to believe that with such a simple thing as washing clothes, you've come up with anything new.
This leads me to believe, as mentioned by a few above, that you are more interested in getting people to click, than actually imparting information.
As for our laundry situation, whenever possible, we treat ourselves to having our laundry done by the locals ashore. They pick it up and return it, washed and folded at a very reasonable price, plus we are contributing to the local economy. I don't see any value in spending huge amounts of time doing laundry in 5 pound increments. I suppose if I had that much free time, I'd go to the Tiki Bar and have a few boat drinks.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

Not sure why I'm feeling badly for the jabs that Crabby is taking, but they tend toward critical, rather than constructive. Maybe it's because she never came out swinging and I respect that she's taken every hit, without jabbing back.

IIRC, she was a dance instructor/performer, so the vlogs may just be an outlet to continue to perform. Clearly she has an enthusiasm for cruising. Maybe we shouldn't chase her away, rather just give constructive feedback.
ThereYouAre and Sean Mattan like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 43 Old 08-17-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrabbycaptain View Post
Absolutely not true. This is just one of the MANY questions i have asked. Please look at my history.
Thank you
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...-new-post.html
You’ve started eight threads, including your Welcome message. Of those, the majority are teasers with a direct link back to your site.

This is a discussion forum. If you want to discuss washing clothes on the boat, then discuss it. Don’t just drop a little flirtatious comment and a link.

I’m not trying to discourage your participation here. Just try and be a bit more subtle with the marketing .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 08-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

"Hey, check out my Vlog......"

Goes to Vlog and sees nothing but clickbait and links to Patreon account with "members only" section.....

Clicks member history and sees long list of "Hey, check out my vlog" threads.

But sure, you aren't promoting anything.... LOL
post #20 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

C'mon guys - does anyone really care if, or how, she promotes her vlog? You don't have to click on the link to it, no one is forcing you to comment. She's a very attractive, relatively young lady. When I was still working as a musical entertainer, I got to see them on a daily basis, and I enjoyed looking at them as much as they enjoyed looking at and hearing me sing and play music - kinda' like a mutual admiration society.

Give it, and her, a break,

Gary
Sean Mattan likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in