Washing clothes on a boat - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 08-17-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Washing clothes on a boat

There's no real discussion, just spam and clickbait thinly disguised with a vague question intended to lend just a hint of legitimacy to avoid getting her booted by the mods. When the forum becomes polluted with enough of these threads, I'll just stop visiting because there is no useful information, only links to self-promoting vlogs and blogs.

The teasing and flirting are not for the purpose of getting forum members to engage in discussion, it's to lure people into clicking the links, pure and simple. It's lame, tedious and so over used. Like I said previously, no one is forcing me to click on the baited topics but if the forum discussion index just becomes a list of self-promoting clickbait, then it's lost its usefulness and I'm out. And now we get the "Moi? Surely you're not accusing me?" reaction from the OP.

There's a great thread going on how LEDs may cause interference with VHF and a procedure that boat owners can use to see if they're affected. The conversation stands just fine on its merits and didn't need innuendo and a sexy thumbnail to get people to participate.

Seriously, start a Youtube channel so all the lonely dirt dwellers trapped in the central plains states can find you. Desperate dreamers are your demographic, not people who are doing the same things that you're doing. If I want to watch a beautiful woman tanning at anchor, I'll watch my wife. If I want to watch a video of someone doing laundry on a sailboat or replacing a water pump impeller while sweating and swearing, I'll record myself doing it and watch it later.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 08-17-2018
Administrator

So here is all sides of this:

Within reason, no matter who or what Thecrabbycaptain says or does, our forum rules require that members be civil with each other. (A standard that is arguably very tough to define, moderate or enforce.) But I have noticed that there is a tendency lately to be pretty tough ion new members and suggest that some of the comments are perhaps harsher then ideal. If you think that a post violates forum standards, report it and we moderators will try to deal with it.

Another side is that Forum Policy does allow members and non-members alike to make one single-post with a link to a sailing related app, book, blog or Vlog. These can only be in the Author and Apps section of the site. We have pplied the one year and 50 (legitimate sailing related) post rule to the ability to post a link to a blog or Vlog site in their signature line.

This does not permit a member to post a link to multiple individual posts on a Vlog unless they are a paid advertiser, or a contributing author (which why certain Vlogs have multiple posts linking to Vlogs or blogs). Where a member who is not an advertiser or contributing author is posting multiple links, they are advised to cease, links will be removed from non-conforming posts, and they will be banned if they fail to conform with the request.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-17-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #23 of 43 Old 08-17-2018

Jeff, I seem to recall that new members need a certain number of posts before they're allowed to link pictures or send PM's. Perhaps establishing the same minimum post requirement before posting any links or uploading photos to the Sailnet servers would be a good way to encourage people to become actual participants and not just advertising their blog or Facebook page. It does seems like we have some people who merely promote themselves in their very first "introductory" post with no intention of engaging in any discussion. (I reported one yesterday.) And while this is relatively harmless, if enough people follow that example, it can soon become a real nuisance.
thecrabbycaptain likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #24 of 43 Old 08-18-2018

Panda makes a nice small washer and dryer ... Works great for me!
oldfurr likes this.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-18-2018

Seemed beside the point of the thread, but we have a Splendide, installed by the prior owner. I did not initially think I cared, but I would never want to cruise without it now. I do not use it to dry and it runs when weíre planning to run the generator for more than an hour anyway. For any cruise over a week, itís luxurious. No need to over pack, or have too many sweaty smelly dirty clothes lying around. We run it about every 6-7 days and itís perfect, if weíre stuck below for rain. Need room for it and a generator, or itís moot. Iíve done plenty of bucket washing and thatís also effective.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 43 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
There's no real discussion, just spam and clickbait thinly disguised with a vague question intended to lend just a hint of legitimacy to avoid getting her booted by the mods. When the forum becomes polluted with enough of these threads, I'll just stop visiting because there is no useful information, only links to self-promoting vlogs and blogs.

The teasing and flirting are not for the purpose of getting forum members to engage in discussion, it's to lure people into clicking the links, pure and simple. It's lame, tedious and so over used. Like I said previously, no one is forcing me to click on the baited topics but if the forum discussion index just becomes a list of self-promoting clickbait, then it's lost its usefulness and I'm out. And now we get the "Moi? Surely you're not accusing me?" reaction from the OP.

There's a great thread going on how LEDs may cause interference with VHF and a procedure that boat owners can use to see if they're affected. The conversation stands just fine on its merits and didn't need innuendo and a sexy thumbnail to get people to participate.

Seriously, start a Youtube channel so all the lonely dirt dwellers trapped in the central plains states can find you. Desperate dreamers are your demographic, not people who are doing the same things that you're doing. If I want to watch a beautiful woman tanning at anchor, I'll watch my wife. If I want to watch a video of someone doing laundry on a sailboat or replacing a water pump impeller while sweating and swearing, I'll record myself doing it and watch it later.
I am sorry that you donít think that I have engaged in conversations with real merit. I perhaps, have not be the giver of much knowledge to the forum (but I hope i have at least given a little here and there,) BUT i have received a wealth of information. It seems you have a bit of anger towards a situation that i am not personally responsible for. But I will take your criticisms, however harsh they may be, knowing that my intent is not to hurt others. If i have offended someone, I apologize. If I have broken rules, I accept responsibility and will fix that. But knowing that I hope to only bring smiles and lightening someoneís day, is my comforting truth.
And that is all that I strive for in life as well as in this forum....to cause a few smiles here and there. I am saddened that today, yours was not one of them.
Take care,
Cara
post #27 of 43 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Panda makes a nice small washer and dryer ... Works great for me!
But how small is small? Lol. I barely have enough room on my boat for my scuba equip and SOP!
post #28 of 43 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Seemed beside the point of the thread, but we have a Splendide, installed by the prior owner. I did not initially think I cared, but I would never want to cruise without it now. I do not use it to dry and it runs when weíre planning to run the generator for more than an hour anyway. For any cruise over a week, itís luxurious. No need to over pack, or have too many sweaty smelly dirty clothes lying around. We run it about every 6-7 days and itís perfect, if weíre stuck below for rain. Need room for it and a generator, or itís moot. Iíve done plenty of bucket washing and thatís also effective.
NOw THAT is some of the coolest information I have learned today! I am looking up this Splendide right now!
Thanks so much!
Cara
post #29 of 43 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Thing is, if you had bothered to do a search, you would have found that this unit, others like it, buckets and plungers have all been discussed seriously at least a few times before for doing laundry on a boat. I didn't watch your video, but I find it difficult to believe that with such a simple thing as washing clothes, you've come up with anything new.
This leads me to believe, as mentioned by a few above, that you are more interested in getting people to click, than actually imparting information.
As for our laundry situation, whenever possible, we treat ourselves to having our laundry done by the locals ashore. They pick it up and return it, washed and folded at a very reasonable price, plus we are contributing to the local economy. I don't see any value in spending huge amounts of time doing laundry in 5 pound increments. I suppose if I had that much free time, I'd go to the Tiki Bar and have a few boat drinks.
I do greatly look forward to the day that we can do the same! I mean that! Tiki while someone else cleans seems like a dream.
I am new to the forum but I have researched many other (and seemingly more important information) like about local shoaling, broken dinghy motor, electrical problems troubleshooting and more. But I thought that the Eco wash was pretty cool for the price paid for it and that others may actually want to know about it.
But I will look forward to Tiki time in my future!
post #30 of 43 Old 08-18-2018 Thread Starter
Cara - Sunny Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not sure why I'm feeling badly for the jabs that Crabby is taking, but they tend toward critical, rather than constructive. Maybe it's because she never came out swinging and I respect that she's taken every hit, without jabbing back.

IIRC, she was a dance instructor/performer, so the vlogs may just be an outlet to continue to perform. Clearly she has an enthusiasm for cruising. Maybe we shouldn't chase her away, rather just give constructive feedback.
I only wish I could give you a big ole southern hug. You pegged me correctly on all counts.

I hope you have a beautiful, happy, healthy, prosperous day. (That is some good Louisiana ďGris GrisĒ I just put on you )
Cara

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in