I've made a forecast web app - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter

Re: I've made a forecast web app

Quote:
I couldn't find a wave forecast.
You have to click near or on ocean to get waves and tide forecasts. If it doesn't appear it's that it's not close enough to ocean or a bug.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do wind prediction models take into account the effects of land?
That's a good queston, I think it takes into consideration altitude and if it's land or lake/ocean. By the way it's only the high resolution models that take effect of land but not the low res (GFS 27km, ICON 13km).

Quote:
We'll be sailing between Canouan and Carriacou tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.
Thanks , let me know how you like it!

Quote:
but one good thing I have noticed right off is the predicted gusts.
From my experience gusts are not very informative. The wind prediction is really what matters and what should be looked at. I might be wrong though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-25-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
We spend a lot of time looking at weather - your idea is nice but it is missing pressure - we watch fronts and do our planning on what we see coming. This would be great for a day or short sail but not for longer sails - and we need to know what is coming based on the pressure fronts to see if we need to get in or stay in for a few days as perhaps the next couple of stops are not secure enough -

Example - when we crossed the Atlantic we watched the fronts come across the USA and how far south they would go (we left from Antigua) - and we watched for a couple of weeks before deciding to leave.

Currently we are using multiple models and only something like yours for short day sails or hops along a coast.
Thanks for your comment, you are the first one asking me for pressure. That would be easy to add it into igetwind though.

Would you think the igetwind interface is suitable for longer journey planning ? (does windy.com would not be better?) I could add feature like getting the forecasts for a certain geolocation and maybe other stuff for this purpose...

By the way if you click any location on USA coasts you get closest NOAA tide if available closer to 10 km. If further you get tide from TPXO calculation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-26-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmm, I posted, but it appears not to have made it here. Anyway, I seem to be having issues scrolling. I get weather data for 2.8 days, with the third day abruptly cut off, but no way to scroll to see further days. Is this intended, or is it on my side?
If you click on GFS does scrolling works? (I know of some bugs with scrolling on some apple device)

Quote:
As for line graphs, it is predictwind that gives those. They do 4 models: GFS, ECM, and two of their own special models. Of these, their two special models are so much crap that it distracts from the actual model data. Really, I have never seen their special models predict anywhere close to reality.
It's surprising that their own forecasts are that bad.

Quote:
BTW, nice so far, and thank you for the work. I'm always happy when people put effort into these types of non-mainstream, specialty apps.
Thanks a lot, really appreciated. It's a lot of work and it's always good to see that people find it usefull.

post #14 of 25 Old 03-26-2019

OK, I see how it works now. It isn't a scroll, it is a click and drag function that makes it move further. However, this function is very unstable for me - sometimes it drags and other times it does not. It appears to depend highly on where I click to drag. If I hit an active element in the graphic, it will drag. If I hit a blank spot, it does not drag.

I find this type of user interface to be awkward. Much better if there were scroll bars that operated normally.

FWIW, I'm on a Mac using Safari and Chrome. But it works the same way on my PC and Explorer.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #15 of 25 Old 03-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
If I hit an active element in the graphic, it will drag. If I hit a blank spot, it does not drag.
That's surprising! You are the first one reporting such a problem. Could it be that you are using old versions of these browsers ?

post #16 of 25 Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by laf1greg View Post
That's surprising! You are the first one reporting such a problem. Could it be that you are using old versions of these browsers ?
Most likely. Constant updating is not something I can do with our usual internet connections. However, the browsers aren't more than a year old, since we do update when we can.

Scroll bars, and multi touch scrolling would be much better to me - that is how everything else works.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #17 of 25 Old 03-29-2019 Thread Starter

Ok thanks a lot for your feedback.

I will try to fix it. Thanks again.

post #18 of 25 Old 04-03-2019
arrgh!

Dock

I have a question----and maybe I am missing something

I Get Wind is referenced as an app... but to me it seems like it is a web page

SanderO likes this.

Vector X Y
post #19 of 25 Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post

I have a question----and maybe I am missing something

I Get Wind is referenced as an app... but to me it seems like it is a web page

App is a general term for an application. The term app is not bound to a specific platform, but you can use the terms "Native app" and "Web app" to distinguish between apps that run directly on the operating system (Windows programs, iOS Apps from App store, Android apps from Google Play etc.), and apps that run inside a browser (Web-apps).

So this is a Web-app.

Web-apps are becomming more popular for many good reasons
post #20 of 25 Old 04-04-2019
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
App is a general term for an application. The term app is not bound to a specific platform, but you can use the terms "Native app" and "Web app" to distinguish between apps that run directly on the operating system (Windows programs, iOS Apps from App store, Android apps from Google Play etc.), and apps that run inside a browser (Web-apps).

So this is a Web-app.

Web-apps are becoming more popular for many good reasons

Thanks, ... I guess I don't think of apps as web pages... like I don't say Weather Underground or SailNet are apps

Vector X Y

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in