SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   I've made a forecast web app (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/328898-ive-made-forecast-web-app.html)

laf1greg 03-23-2019 05:59 PM

I've made a forecast web app

Hi sailing community,

I've been working for 2 years on https://igetwind.com it's a wind-waves-tides forecast web app.

Basically you click on the map anywhere in the world and you get different weather models and tides. You can save up to 8 forecasts on your profile.

https://i.ibb.co/8D7GsXT/sailing2.png

Give it a try and let me know if you like it. Any constructive comment is welcome.

Thanks and good wind!

Greg

Morild 03-24-2019 11:46 AM

Re: I've made a forecast web app

I like it - good job.
It's fast, gives a great overview, and I really like that you save my settings and locations, without me having to create a profile/login.
Cookies or local storage I guess? (Didn't bother to check)
Good stuff.

What I would love, would be the ability to see a graph (linegraph) illustrating the wind-strength for all the models in the same view. With a line (different colors of course) for each model. That would give a fantastic overview, if the models pretty much agree on how much wind we can except, or if there are big differences, which would mean that the forecast is unpredictable.

Jeff_H 03-24-2019 12:04 PM

While it is visually simple, it does not appear to provide as complete and detailed information as the better weather apps that are out there.

Jeff

Barquito 03-24-2019 12:20 PM

I couldn't find a wave forecast. Out of curiosity, how do wind prediction models take into account the effects of land?

capta 03-24-2019 02:11 PM

We'll be sailing between Canouan and Carriacou tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.

titustiger27 03-24-2019 03:32 PM

I won't be able to try this until a couple of feet of snow is gone

but one good thing I have noticed right off is the predicted gusts.

In my little sailboat (DC15) it is nice to know this

laf1greg 03-24-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

What I would love, would be the ability to see a graph (linegraph) illustrating the wind-strength for all the models in the same view. With a line (different colors of course) for each model. That would give a fantastic overview, if the models pretty much agree on how much wind we can except, or if there are big differences, which would mean that the forecast is unpredictable.
Thats interesting. I've seen a site somewhere with that feature, it was a bit of a messy graph though. One other problem is that different model family have different "forecasted/reality scale" so to compare all of them could be misleading. But that's definitely an interesting idea to dig. Thanks for sharing I will try to see how I could implement it.

Quote:

While it is visually simple, it does not appear to provide as complete and detailed information as the better weather apps that are out there.
Hi Jeff, thanks for your comment. What other data would you like to have ?
I've tried to put most interesting forecasts models for wind and weather. I didn't put PRESSURE amongs the different data and no current weather or current wind. But other than that you get 7 different weather models for north america + NOAA tides for both coast + high res wave models WW3. All of that for every single location. And worldwide you also get 2 models + tides + NOAA waves low res.

titustiger27 03-24-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laf1greg (Post 2051591342)
Thats interesting. I've seen a site somewhere with that feature, it was a bit of a messy graph though. One other problem is that different model family have different "forecasted/reality scale" so to compare all of them could be misleading. But that's definitely an interesting idea to dig. Thanks for sharing I will try to see how I could implement it.

Hi Jeff, thanks for your comment. What other data would you like to have ?
I've tried to put most interesting forecasts models for wind and weather. I didn't put PRESSURE amongs the different data and no current weather or current wind. But other than that you get 7 different weather models for north america + NOAA tides for both coast + high res wave models WW3. All of that for every single location. And worldwide you also get 2 models + tides + NOAA waves low res.

thanks for responding --- so many people come here to sell something are one post and done

chuck5499 03-25-2019 03:37 AM

We spend a lot of time looking at weather - your idea is nice but it is missing pressure - we watch fronts and do our planning on what we see coming. This would be great for a day or short sail but not for longer sails - and we need to know what is coming based on the pressure fronts to see if we need to get in or stay in for a few days as perhaps the next couple of stops are not secure enough -

Example - when we crossed the Atlantic we watched the fronts come across the USA and how far south they would go (we left from Antigua) - and we watched for a couple of weeks before deciding to leave.

Currently we are using multiple models and only something like yours for short day sails or hops along a coast.

colemj 03-25-2019 04:39 AM

Hmm, I posted, but it appears not to have made it here. Anyway, I seem to be having issues scrolling. I get weather data for 2.8 days, with the third day abruptly cut off, but no way to scroll to see further days. Is this intended, or is it on my side?

As for line graphs, it is predictwind that gives those. They do 4 models: GFS, ECM, and two of their own special models. Of these, their two special models are so much crap that it distracts from the actual model data. Really, I have never seen their special models predict anywhere close to reality.

However, I too have become fond of this mode of presentation - it provides a very quick visual overview before digging further into the data.

BTW, nice so far, and thank you for the work. I'm always happy when people put effort into these types of non-mainstream, specialty apps.

Mark