I've made a forecast web app - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question I've made a forecast web app

Hi sailing community,

I've been working for 2 years on https://igetwind.com it's a wind-waves-tides forecast web app.

Basically you click on the map anywhere in the world and you get different weather models and tides. You can save up to 8 forecasts on your profile.

Give it a try and let me know if you like it. Any constructive comment is welcome.

Thanks and good wind!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by laf1greg; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: I've made a forecast web app

I like it - good job.
It's fast, gives a great overview, and I really like that you save my settings and locations, without me having to create a profile/login.
Cookies or local storage I guess? (Didn't bother to check)
Good stuff.

What I would love, would be the ability to see a graph (linegraph) illustrating the wind-strength for all the models in the same view. With a line (different colors of course) for each model. That would give a fantastic overview, if the models pretty much agree on how much wind we can except, or if there are big differences, which would mean that the forecast is unpredictable.
post #3 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

While it is visually simple, it does not appear to provide as complete and detailed information as the better weather apps that are out there.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Barquito

I couldn't find a wave forecast. Out of curiosity, how do wind prediction models take into account the effects of land?

Valiant 32
post #5 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

We'll be sailing between Canouan and Carriacou tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
arrgh!

Dock

I won't be able to try this until a couple of feet of snow is gone

but one good thing I have noticed right off is the predicted gusts.

In my little sailboat (DC15) it is nice to know this

Vector X Y
post #7 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
What I would love, would be the ability to see a graph (linegraph) illustrating the wind-strength for all the models in the same view. With a line (different colors of course) for each model. That would give a fantastic overview, if the models pretty much agree on how much wind we can except, or if there are big differences, which would mean that the forecast is unpredictable.
Thats interesting. I've seen a site somewhere with that feature, it was a bit of a messy graph though. One other problem is that different model family have different "forecasted/reality scale" so to compare all of them could be misleading. But that's definitely an interesting idea to dig. Thanks for sharing I will try to see how I could implement it.

Quote:
While it is visually simple, it does not appear to provide as complete and detailed information as the better weather apps that are out there.
Hi Jeff, thanks for your comment. What other data would you like to have ?
I've tried to put most interesting forecasts models for wind and weather. I didn't put PRESSURE amongs the different data and no current weather or current wind. But other than that you get 7 different weather models for north america + NOAA tides for both coast + high res wave models WW3. All of that for every single location. And worldwide you also get 2 models + tides + NOAA waves low res.

post #8 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by laf1greg View Post
Thats interesting. I've seen a site somewhere with that feature, it was a bit of a messy graph though. One other problem is that different model family have different "forecasted/reality scale" so to compare all of them could be misleading. But that's definitely an interesting idea to dig. Thanks for sharing I will try to see how I could implement it.

Hi Jeff, thanks for your comment. What other data would you like to have ?
I've tried to put most interesting forecasts models for wind and weather. I didn't put PRESSURE amongs the different data and no current weather or current wind. But other than that you get 7 different weather models for north america + NOAA tides for both coast + high res wave models WW3. All of that for every single location. And worldwide you also get 2 models + tides + NOAA waves low res.

thanks for responding --- so many people come here to sell something are one post and done
Morild and Towguy like this.

Vector X Y
post #9 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Full time cruiser

We spend a lot of time looking at weather - your idea is nice but it is missing pressure - we watch fronts and do our planning on what we see coming. This would be great for a day or short sail but not for longer sails - and we need to know what is coming based on the pressure fronts to see if we need to get in or stay in for a few days as perhaps the next couple of stops are not secure enough -

Example - when we crossed the Atlantic we watched the fronts come across the USA and how far south they would go (we left from Antigua) - and we watched for a couple of weeks before deciding to leave.

Currently we are using multiple models and only something like yours for short day sails or hops along a coast.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #10 of 25 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hmm, I posted, but it appears not to have made it here. Anyway, I seem to be having issues scrolling. I get weather data for 2.8 days, with the third day abruptly cut off, but no way to scroll to see further days. Is this intended, or is it on my side?

As for line graphs, it is predictwind that gives those. They do 4 models: GFS, ECM, and two of their own special models. Of these, their two special models are so much crap that it distracts from the actual model data. Really, I have never seen their special models predict anywhere close to reality.

However, I too have become fond of this mode of presentation - it provides a very quick visual overview before digging further into the data.

BTW, nice so far, and thank you for the work. I'm always happy when people put effort into these types of non-mainstream, specialty apps.

Mark
Morild likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in