New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 04-26-2019 Thread Starter

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS

Hello,

Sailor for 30 years, last November, I was making my first transatlantic!! How many memories...
But during these 15 days, I would have needed an app to see if the action of a trim (sheeting, easing, bending the mast, digging the sail, raising the tangon, ...) is positive or not.

So back, I created an Android Application: SailFreeGPS for smartphones or tablets that displays graphics with speed and course history. You can thus see if the new trims are positive or not (despite the waves, gusts or calms).

In addition I have created a page displaying COG, SOG, magnetic compass and current Position.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ic.sailfreegps

Moreover, since the values from the GPS are too fluctuating on our smartphones (while we advance to 6 kt stable, speed fluctuates from 4 to 8 Kt), I added a "filtering function" (average of a number of points that you can adjust).
You can also adjust how many past you want to see (from 30s to 20min)

I also added a Man OverBoard (MOB) function which will lead you to the MOB position using a graphical displaying.
SailFreeGPS also handle a night mode and allows you to share your position, Cog, SOG using one of the app installed on your device: SMS, e-mail, Facebook, WhatsApp, Snap, ….

Do not hesitate to provide me feedbacks or suggestions: [email protected]

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS-screenshot_p1.png

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS-screenshot_p2.png

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS-screenshot_l6.png

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS-screenshot_p4.png

New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS-screenshot_l7.png

Fred.
grenlin87 likes this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-30-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: All posts related to this app moved to the permitted forum and to a single thread Per Forum Rules- Jeff_H SailNet Moderator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 04-26-2019

Re: New Android Sailing App : SailFreeGPS

Interesting, I downloaded it and took a quick look at the features. I like the graphing feature to measure performance. I played with the settings a bit and it seems the longest graphing period is over a 20 minute period?

It would be nice if it had (or maybe it does) a logging feature so you could save and analyze the data at a later date.

I won't get a chance to field test it until next week end. I will try and report back after testing it out.

Last edited by Arcb; 04-27-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Hello,

I haven't planned to ad a logging feature but may be an anchor watch once !!!

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-30-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: All posts related to this app moved to the permitted forum and to a single thread Per Forum Rules- Jeff_H SailNet Moderator

post #14 of 28 Old 04-27-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Interesting, I downloaded it and took a quick look at the features. I like the graphing feature to measure performance. I played with the settings a bit and it seems the longest graphing period is over a 20 minute period?

It would be nice if it had (or maybe it does) a logging feature so you could save and analyze the data at a later date.

I won't get a chance to field test it until next week end. I will try and report back after testing it out.
Yes, SailFreeGps only propose to display information from 30s to 20min
Fred

Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-30-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: All posts related to this app moved to the permitted forum and to a single thread Per Forum Rules- Jeff_H SailNet Moderator
post #15 of 28 Old 04-30-2019

Looks like a handy app. I will try it out.
post #16 of 28 Old 05-04-2019 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am changing the "Settings layout" in order to be more explicit and more evolutive.

SailFreeGPS

Fred
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #17 of 28 Old 05-05-2019

Dock

I used it the other day on a quick 2 day trip.

The graph is very small and hard to see. To expand it one needs to drop the time from 20 minutes to lower. It would be nice to spread it with fingers.

20 minutes is long enough for tracking but not long for currents on a 2 day trip. It would be nicer if it was 24 hours.
grenlin87 likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #18 of 28 Old 05-05-2019

Any thoughts for us IPad peopl?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #19 of 28 Old 05-05-2019

I tried it today, but found I couldn't really see it that well while I was trying to sail the boat.

But I have a sailing kayak so a bit of a funny nav set up where my electronics go in a soft sided clear chart case on my foredeck in front of me. So it's a bit tough to see a cell phone screen at the best of times because of the angle.
post #20 of 28 Old 05-06-2019

Is there an actual smart phone app... or only a web site? On a large PC monitor the information is interesting.
You might want to shade the hours when the sun is down... as this is useful when planning long trips for those who prefer to sail in daylight.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Tags
android , application , smartphone , tablet

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in