Carb Problem? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 09-20-2014

Re: Carb Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually when an engine is running extremely rich it will exhaust blue smoke with a distinct gas smell just like the op described
Partially or un-burnt fuel will result in a black exhaust emission. Blue smoke = Oil and White = Coolant (steam). Of course the colors are subtle and I agree your nose is often a much better indicator when it comes to determining if your exhaust emissions are the result of fuel, oil, or coolant.

Certainly residue and the smell of gasoline in the engine compartment is cause for major concern. Had a customer with a very similar situation. Ended up he had connected the crankcase breather to the intake manifold which resulted in a high idle and blue exhaust emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 09-20-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marknid View Post
Partially or un-burnt fuel will result in a black exhaust emission. Blue smoke = Oil and White = Coolant (steam). Of course the colors are subtle and I agree your nose is often a much better indicator when it comes to determining if your exhaust emissions are the result of fuel, oil, or coolant.

Certainly residue and the smell of gasoline in the engine compartment is cause for major concern. Had a customer with a very similar situation. Ended up he had connected the crankcase breather to the intake manifold which resulted in a high idle and blue exhaust emissions.
I owned an auto repair shop for many years now I do marine to supliment my
VA and my cruising kitty What does it mean when a car is running to rich Running rich can be accompanied by a distinct exhaust smell, and in the extreme cases, some blue smoke

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 45 Old 09-20-2014
Tartan 27' owner

I have taken the Zenith updraft carb apart several times for cleaning etc. It is quite easy to do - yourself. It is also quite easy to put the float pin in upside down - which will cause the symptoms the OP is experiencing - gas smell, dripping carb. Obviously I have done this.
A fuel tank with a lot of ethanol crud in it will also wreak havoc on the float needle, causing it to get stuck in the open or closed position.
There is an old expression: "If you want something done right you will have to do it yourself."

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 45 Old 09-20-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"A fuel tank with a lot of ethanol crud in it will also wreak havoc"

Any crud will do.

But the most important point is probably that if you can SMELL gasoline, there's probably a fire danger.

1. Call insurance broker, make sure boat is overinsured.
2. Buy marshmallows and sticks.
3. Attempt to repair engine. Using bronze, brass, or beryllium-copper non-sparking tools.

Stick to the sequence and you'll be happy whatever the outcome is.(G)
post #15 of 45 Old 09-20-2014
Banned

How about:

1.Opening every hatch, port, or other opening you can

2. Turn off the gas at the tank

3. Sop up any gas that is visible

4. Disconnect from shore power

5. Go have a long lunch

6. Remove carb & take it home to clean in a well ventilated garage

As others have mentioned, if you can smell gas, heap big trouble.

Paul T
post #16 of 45 Old 09-22-2014 Thread Starter

I went down again this weekend. The smell in the boat wasn't quite as bad, but when the bilge pump kicked on there was more residue on top of the water when it exited the boat. I know now that shutting the gas petcock should be done after each trip. I traced every line and every connection, looking for a leak. I am in agreement with you folks that there is a float problem. I did not start the engine. The carb had some wet residue on it, so I cleaned it up and also the area underneath it. I left a clean white paper towel. If that thing is stained next weekend, then that HAS to be it. Either way, I know I need to pull the carb.

ALSO, the mechanic failed to seat the choke cable bracket correctly. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks again for your advice.
post #17 of 45 Old 09-22-2014
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post

ALSO, the mechanic failed to seat the choke cable bracket correctly. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.

Thanks again for your advice.
He did that wrong makes me wonder what else he forgot to do.
My advise learn to do it the manuals are available and find a mechanic you can trust.
http://www.moyermarine.com/reference/a4manual2.pdf

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

Last edited by newhaul; 09-22-2014 at 10:26 AM.
post #18 of 45 Old 09-22-2014
Banned

First, not all "professionals" are experts, or conscientious . I am not even close to being an expert on anything. Fortunately, my Dad started teaching me how to work on engines about 68 years ago. I don't know what your mechanical experience level is so forgive me if I am speaking out of turn.

I would imagine that Community Colleges, or something similar, offer small engine maintenance courses? That & a good shop manual or equivalent, can take you far. It is my opinion that the more work you can do yourself, with some limitations, the better off you are. Carburetors & distributors are generally fairly simple. However, a diesel high pressure injector pump is not. Older gas engines are relatively simple & easy to work on, in my opinion.

Paul T
post #19 of 45 Old 09-22-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Newhaul-
"find a mechanic you can trust."
Reminds me of something Benjamin Franklin said, that any three men can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead. So any dead mechanic should be trustworthy, although, I'd still have reservations about some of them.

Paul-
I don't think you'd find engine courses in Community Colleges. In high school trade programs, yes. In "Trade Schools", yes. And some adult ed classes, like the New York State BOCES programs. But with a lot of the trade schools, the problem is that they are "student loan" mills, set up to take in anyone who is interested, get them signed up for government student loans, and then no one really pays a lot of attention to anything beyond getting those loan dollars. Sad to say, but a long-term racket. Asking a local car dealer's shop manager might get you a local referral, if there was one.
A good manual, and some you-tube videos, might be just as reliable a way to start.
post #20 of 45 Old 09-23-2014
Banned

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Newhaul-
"find a mechanic you can trust."
Reminds me of something Benjamin Franklin said, that any three men can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead. So any dead mechanic should be trustworthy, although, I'd still have reservations about some of them.
Quote:
Paul-
I don't think you'd find engine courses in Community Colleges. In high school trade programs, yes. In "Trade Schools", yes. And some adult ed classes, like the New York State BOCES programs.
Just a guess. I took night courses in welding at the local high school shop. If the OP does a search, he can probably find a course. If he has basic mechanical knowledge & basic tool skills & a good shop manual, he should be OK.

Quote:
But with a lot of the trade schools, the problem is that they are "student loan" mills, set up to take in anyone who is interested, get them signed up for government student loans, and then no one really pays a lot of attention to anything beyond getting those loan dollars. Sad to say, but a long-term racket.
Interesting, I didn't know that

Quote:
Asking a local car dealer's shop manager might get you a local referral, if there was one.
A good manual, and some you-tube videos, might be just as reliable a way to start.
I forgot about you tube, right, I have seen some of those, like how to time a VW diesel, something I have done many times. Brought back some memories.
It is absolutely amazing what you can find on the internet.

Paul T

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in