LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 Old 09-23-2014
islander bahama 24

Re: Carb Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Newhaul-
"find a mechanic you can trust."
Reminds me of something Benjamin Franklin said, that any three men can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead. So any dead mechanic should be trustworthy, although, I'd still have reservations about some of them.
Sorry you feel that way there are many people that trust me to do the best job I can do on their vessels and I have been doing it for over 20 years so I must be doing something right

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 09-23-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sorry you feel that way there are many people that trust me to do the best job I can do on their vessels and I have been doing it for over 20 years so I must be doing something right
If you have a big return clientele, you must be doing it right. When I said :

Quote:
First, not all "professionals" are experts, or conscientious
I didn't mean to imply that all "professionals" do sub-standard work.

Paul T
newhaul likes this.
post #23 of 45 Old 09-23-2014
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
I left a clean white paper towel. If that thing is stained next weekend, then that HAS to be it. Either way, I know I need to pull the carb.

ALSO, the mechanic failed to seat the choke cable bracket correctly. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.
You are going to want to get a few oil absorbent pads at your local auto parts store to use instead of paper towel. The ones I use are white also. I keep one under my carb all the time to keep tabs on what might be leaking out. I also have some Marvel Mystery oil in my gas.

If the mechanic messed up the choke cable it is possible that your choke butterfly is not closing/opening fully which could cause you to burn rich or be hard starting.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
FirstCandC (09-30-2014)

post #24 of 45 Old 09-30-2014 Thread Starter

Pulled the carb this weekend. Was easier than I thought.
More gas found under it again. This time I left absorbent pads and sealed off everything, just in case the local insects were looking for a nice nesting spot.

Going to take it apart. Thanks again to all for your advice. The one thing I can't understand is why is it running rich while ALSO having a leak? Could a high float level cause leaking?
post #25 of 45 Old 09-30-2014
Tartan 27' owner

Running rich implies too much fuel which is consistent with your carb dripping gasoline. It is leaking because there is too much fuel.
Yes, it is probably the float valve/needle that needs re-thinking.
I'd get the carb rebuild kit from Moyer (new gasket, jets, float needle etc).

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

post #26 of 45 Old 09-30-2014

^^ Yes, that would be the obvious and common reason.

The float may also be heavy (leaked).

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #27 of 45 Old 09-30-2014
Banned

If you are shutting off the gas at the tank, the leak may be from a loose fitting or a crack in the carb body, assuming the tank is higher than the carb. If the tank is higher & the fuel
is left on, & the float is set too high, or not closing, the leak could be from the float?

Paul T
post #28 of 45 Old 10-07-2014 Thread Starter

Update: took the carb apart and examined it closely. The float was indeed functioning. I also pushed the float down in a cup of water to see if it had any leaks. No leaks. Put it back together and installed it.
The engine fires up, runs steady (no more knocking), but still smokes. There is also what still appears to be some oily residue on top of the water from the exhaust. The oil pressure was steady at 40 psi. Oil level the same- not drinking oil. Set the mixture screw to one and half turns out. Tried turning it in half a turn and also the other way a half a turn. Doesn't stop the smoking/oily residue. I can't figure it out. Left absorbent pads under the carb. Going to see if it is still leaking on the next trip.
I guess checking the combustion is the next step. The only other thing I can think of is the Marvel Mystery Oil that is in the gas. I add a few ounces per gallon.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-07-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Update: took the carb apart and examined it closely. The float was indeed functioning. I also pushed the float down in a cup of water to see if it had any leaks. No leaks. Put it back together and installed it.
The engine fires up, runs steady (no more knocking), but still smokes. There is also what still appears to be some oily residue on top of the water from the exhaust. The oil pressure was steady at 40 psi. Oil level the same- not drinking oil. Set the mixture screw to one and half turns out. Tried turning it in half a turn and also the other way a half a turn. Doesn't stop the smoking/oily residue. I can't figure it out. Left absorbent pads under the carb. Going to see if it is still leaking on the next trip.
I guess checking the combustion is the next step. The only other thing I can think of is the Marvel Mystery Oil that is in the gas. I add a few ounces per gallon.
I used to run all my 2 strokes at 50:1, which is about 2-1/2 ounces per gallon. Looks like you are running about the same ratio in a 4 stroke, which could be the reason for the smoking. If you can run a separate tank, an outboard tank, perhaps, without the oil, & after a while the smoking stops, there is your cause.

Not sure about the leak, but it is evident because the oil in the fuel doesn't evaporate, like the gas does.

Paul T
post #30 of 45 Old 10-07-2014
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I generally don't believe in magic elixirs, my faerie godmother told me they are all worthless. But I must confess that I've only heard good things about MMO, from people who have had, ah, intimate relationships with engines. Even in that context, I'd also say run that fuel out, or switch your fuel supply to a smaller "just gasoline" mix to see how it runs. Is there a chance you misread or miscalculated, and added way too much MMO?

I knew someone who misread and added 1/4 cup instead of 1/4 tablespoon of vinegar in a chocolate cake mix. Um, yummy. (Not!)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in