FWC kit for Atomic 4, a good idea? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-19-2015

Re: FWC kit for Atomic 4, a good idea?

I have a friend that did the conversion many years ago (he has since sold the boat). He did have to do an acid flush (using Rydlyme) of the cooling passages to remove any scale. The system worked well for many years. Pretty sure he used the Moyer system. I would do it if you intend to keep the boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
hstege2 (01-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 01-19-2015

Chuck, that's an old wives tale that never really had any substance to it at all. In reality, the only thing that remains inside the engine is the corrosion - not the salt. Now, the FWC system will provide you with lots of corrosion protection from that point forward. Be sure to use a good grade of antifreeze, check it frequently, and if the temperature is variable, the culprit is usually the thermostat.

My A4 has thousands upon thousands of hours on it, runs like a Swiss watch, and I would not even think of converting to diesel. If and when the engine dies, I would replace it with an A4 gasoline substitute, though they cost a bit more than a diesel replacement of the same HP.

Good luck,

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
hstege2 (01-19-2015)
post #13 of 21 Old 01-19-2015
Tundra Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstege2 View Post
Hoping for some more good advice: My '79 A-4 runs well but the temp is quite variable. Reading about the Indigo FWC kit and their new t-stat sounds like cat's meow - but is it foolish to go at fixing things that are not real broken (yet). Last summer was my first with this boat/engine, so I don't have much history at all.
Thanks for your ideas.
When I re powered with an exchange from Moyer 5 years ago I included the fw cooling option from Indeglo. I am glad I have it. Installation took some "cleverness". I run a little cool here along the Maine coast. I added a rw pickup strainer that lives in the bilge. I can switch the rw pick up to it and fill the heat exchanger and wl muffler with antifreeze easily. It would allow the rw pump to serve as an engine driven aux. bilge pump if necessary. The engine is always "winterized".

Down

Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper
The Following User Says Thank You to downeast450 For This Useful Post:
hstege2 (01-19-2015)

post #14 of 21 Old 01-19-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

h-
Aside from corrosion reduction, going to fresh water allows the engine to be run some 20-25F hotter, which improves power and economy. Salt water would have minerals crystalizing out, so raw water thermostats are normally a good 20F cooler to ensure against that.
Brewgyver likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
hstege2 (01-19-2015)
post #15 of 21 Old 01-19-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the useful feedback, ideas, and experiences. Very helpful stuff!
post #16 of 21 Old 01-20-2015

The old wifes tail is called salt creep and while not much is said now in the past it was not recommended due to the scale chunks clogging the exchanger and it does due some wired stuff turning everything inside black

I due OWN two A4 blocks one always salt and the one 1970 block i rebuilt 5 years ago that was made FWC in 1980 by my PO

The saltwater block was carboned up like crazy due to the low water temp saltwater requires YET most things like head studs came off easy as i removed donor parts

On the other hand NONE of the studs were coming out of the block that had run FWC going back to 1980

Again due to lack of thermostat maintenance the motor was run way to cool and carbon forms under the valves in the air intake passages to the point of barley ABLE TO RUN

after much cleaning and gasket and seals

It has ticked away for 5 more while being run as long as 12 hours at a time when the LIS plays dead sea years and is celebrating its 45th Birthday

IMHP the indigo stuff is needlessly complex adding stuff that is just not necessary as it runs very happy with nothing more than the exchanger and second water-pump

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tommays For This Useful Post:
hstege2 (01-21-2015)
post #17 of 21 Old 01-21-2015

If you want to keep that A4 carbon free and keep those valves well seated, there's nothing on the planet better than Marvel Mystery Oil. Even Moyer highly recommends using this stuff, and in my old C-27, that engine would not start unless I kept the fuel and oil treated with Marvel Mystery Oil. This is the one product that I can truthfully say works very well in keeping those old A4s happy.

Good Luck,

Gary
hstege2 (01-21-2015)
post #18 of 21 Old 02-05-2015

I apologize for hijacking the thread, but do you run Marvel Mystery oil in your fuel and also some in with your oil?
post #19 of 21 Old 02-05-2015
islander bahama 24

That is what Gary seems to keep saying about the stuff. Won't hurt the fuel system. As much as he talks about it makes me wonder if he's the inventor ( he is old enough to be). . Seriously though marvel is good stuff

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

post #20 of 21 Old 02-05-2015

Yes, I usually put about a quart in the crankcase and 2 ounces for every 10 gallons of gasoline in the gas tank. There are instructions on the bottle for how much to add.

I am old enough to have invented this stuff, and sometimes wish I did.

Gary
FirstCandC (02-12-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in