SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   atomic 4 mini explosion (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/260545-atomic-4-mini-explosion.html)

Turnin Turtle 08-01-2016 06:46 PM

Re: atomic 4 mini explosion

OP description is of an engine that needs to be removed from the boat for complete rebuild.

If it can be saved.

Generally when you let the magic smoke out things don't work without a major infusion of $$$ to replace the smoke.

Sal Paradise 08-01-2016 07:18 PM

This thread is funny. In reality it could be anything from a couple of loose plug wires to rusty points (would be my first guess) , to a stuck carb float ( another good guess) to a clapped out motor. There is precious little to go on except that there was a lot of unburned gas fumes in a compartment, some oxygen - and then a spark. A compression gauge is very cheap at HF if ignition and/or carb check out.

SloopJonB 08-01-2016 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnin Turtle (Post 3601281)
OP description is of an engine that needs to be removed from the boat for complete rebuild.

If it can be saved.

Generally when you let the magic smoke out things don't work without a major infusion of $$$ to replace the smoke.

A jar of this isn't real expensive.

RichH 08-01-2016 08:52 PM

HAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO -
"LUCAS" ignition parts .... Manufactured by the "Prince of Darkness".

;-)

travlin-easy 08-01-2016 09:33 PM

Believe me, you can rebuild an A4 on a small picnic table and do the entire job in two days if you know anything at all about gasoline engines. It's a very simple engine to work on.

Gary :cool:

SloopJonB 08-01-2016 09:36 PM

And there's little that is more exhilarating than when an engine you built yourself lights off for the first time.

albrazzi 08-01-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMSVictory (Post 3601129)
well it wasn't me but I was going to help. Partially in light of the responses of this forum, I did not help, as a result of lack of knowledge on the part of those who towed her, that boat was improperly anchored, dragged into a boat lift, impaled, sunk, salvaged at the tune of 25k to the city of fort lauderdale taxpayers, and they will never get it back no matter how hard they try. Im sure sailors and anchoring and all that got a bad name in the process. Would that have happened had I Been there? Absolutely not. But sailnet party poopers among other things convinced me not to go... anyway ets leave that topic at rest.

I'm a friend of the girls who own it, and I am helping her with the boat.

perhaps if the sailnet community is this time helpful rather than simply dismissive, rude or even wrongly accusative a few very nice and pretty in their 20s girls will not accidentally blow themselves up

I think Jeff Goldblum said it best "where would we all be without be without a good rationalization every day" I hope you feel better.

Rocky Mountain Breeze 08-01-2016 11:35 PM

No matter the venue people who are not willing to learn at least the basic principles of whatever endeavor they have undertaken are fools. I see it everyday in my world unrelated to sailing, Darwin merely observed what happened naturally in nature if left unmolested. Now people get offended when these same observations are offered concerning someone they know on a personal level. As I once read, if you are sitting at a poker table and you cannot recognize the patsy it is probably you......

oldlaxer1 08-02-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMSVictory (Post 3601129)
well it wasn't me but I was going to help. Partially in light of the responses of this forum, I did not help, as a result of lack of knowledge on the part of those who towed her, that boat was improperly anchored, dragged into a boat lift, impaled, sunk, salvaged at the tune of 25k to the city of fort lauderdale taxpayers, and they will never get it back no matter how hard they try. Im sure sailors and anchoring and all that got a bad name in the process. Would that have happened had I Been there? Absolutely not. But sailnet party poopers among other things convinced me not to go... anyway ets leave that topic at rest.

I'm a friend of the girls who own it, and I am helping her with the boat.

perhaps if the sailnet community is this time helpful rather than simply dismissive, rude or even wrongly accusative a few very nice and pretty in their 20s girls will not accidentally blow themselves up

My suggestion is to go to the forums at Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts and post your situation. There are some real Atomic 4 experts that are always willing to help sort out a problem. They will virtually adopt you and the motor if you follow their advice.

deniseO30 08-02-2016 01:23 PM

Here we go again... 3 pages.