atomic 4 mini explosion - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 Old 08-02-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: atomic 4 mini explosion

Look at the donut-shaped air filter on any older car. There's always a metal screen or grid around the perimeter and that is no coincidence, that is called a BACKFIRE ARRESTOR because engine with carbs can backfire and spew out flames. On a car that is nasty but you can always walk away. On a boat, that can be lethal if you have to jump overboard.

I knew an old Chevy that was running rough. Took off the air filter to look at the carb and found the float had malfunctioned, the entire top of the carb was filled with gasoline, which was overflowing either into the carb or out on the engine. And if it had run onto the exhaust manifold, it would have made a nasty fire.

These things happen.

If the boat is such a nasty old POS, don't even ask what might be wrong. Don't attempt to run the engine until a mechanic has gone over it, because an A4 is a good simple solid engine, but with enough owner neglect? It could be waiting to turn that boat into a bbq pit.

If you MUST play with it, make Real Damned Sure someone is standing by with an extinguisher, with the pin already pulled and ready to use. The girl(s) will not be happy in a burn ward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 08-02-2016
Captain Obvious

or put in a fume detector. Its a lot cheaper than blowing someone up.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #33 of 43 Old 08-02-2016

The older engines had an updraught carburator so when the float stuck the gas safely ran out on the ground (this is common) Bilge you say. Now that can be a problem. Rebuilding carbs (needle and seat in particular) becomes fairly important . Flame arresters can help putting off having to maintain ignition systems and valves and de coking but no guarantee they'll stop the flames. Probably could learn some good skills easier than having to heal the burn scars

post #34 of 43 Old 08-02-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Here we go again... 3 pages.
I'm confused. You have a problem with offering a piece of advice to go to the experts on the subject, or am I misreading your post?

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD
post #35 of 43 Old 08-02-2016

Even if a thread starts off with head shaking or nodding it can form and morph into a learning experience for newbe readers who may avoid some disaster or horrible adventure that we older(more experienced) ,who didn't have the advantage of SN and have the tales and scars to show for it,are willing to share. Exempt are those who already know all or are incapable of getting a chuckle over others limitations Now if there were a charge per post or browsing fee it would lend some importance toit all.
post #36 of 43 Old 08-02-2016
One of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
I'm confused. You have a problem with offering a piece of advice to go to the experts on the subject, or am I misreading your post?
Sorry. you don't know about previous things HMS has posted. Getting all the forum regulars and others all into giving advice then getting insulted with name calling
chef2sail and oldlaxer1 like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #37 of 43 Old 08-02-2016

Capt Len, the A4 has a downdraft carb, comes with a great flame arrestor - never saw one without one.

All the best,

Gary
post #38 of 43 Old 08-02-2016

Most of my old fish boat experience was with Crysler Crowns )6 cylinder flatheads and the big Royals 8 flatheads. Engines were modified auto type set backwards Most boats went to them as bigger and more dependable than the older Easthopes . Can't think of a single fire caused by gas engines. Oil stoves were the culprits as their carbs or drip feed often went wonky.

Last edited by Capt Len; 08-11-2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: wording
post #39 of 43 Old 08-02-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlaxer1 View Post
My suggestion is to go to the forums at Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts and post your situation. There are some real Atomic 4 experts that are always willing to help sort out a problem. They will virtually adopt you and the motor if you follow their advice.
Great advice and true. They are a great group of people on that forum. I can remember working on my old engine and posting questions with an Iphone1.

Checking the forums for answers to questions with the phone in one hand and a wrench in the other.

Call them and Don Moyer or his son would answer the phone and walk you through a problem.

I'd buy stuff from them I could get cheaper at NAPA because they are so helpful.

They Rock
tsell and travlin-easy like this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #40 of 43 Old 08-08-2016 Thread Starter

such is deserved for people who return a request for help with nothing but discouragement, insults, claims that such people shouldn't be on the water when they are just learning and ASKING for help...im pretty sure that was the only type of person I've ever insulted if anyone, the type that just wants to shut things down, dismiss, and be as unhelpful and dicourging as possible while encouraging other people who would help to be the same way

all I'm doing here is asking for help, and not even for my own sake!!! if you don't want to lend it, which you don't have to, then kindly get TFO of here and let that be that!

by the way thanks for all who have been helpful. I have directed the boat owner to this thread and they are grateful for the most part, though naturally discouraged by many of the responses as anyone would be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in