SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Atomic 4 (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/)
-   -   Atomic 4 - head off, leave studs or remove/clean/install? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/atomic-4/302850-atomic-4-head-off-leave-studs-remove-clean-install.html)

fstarocka 11-03-2017 09:49 PM

Re: Atomic 4 - head off, leave studs or remove/clean/install?

gr8 rich thanks will do that - yes I have a one way check valve I use to test outdrives with. Ill hook it up 2moro and see -

fyi heres a vid of it starting up: (i added a few degrees of advance and a 1/4 turn in and shes actually a tad peppoer than the vid - either way shes well tuned!)

:pirateraft:

I think the manifold is old - will keep an eye out for a replacement.. its holding up for now though!

CalebD 11-04-2017 04:41 PM

Nicely done.
Have you posted about this at the Moyer Forum?

fstarocka 11-04-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 2051271242)
Nicely done.
Have you posted about this at the Moyer Forum?

I did - got a bunch of stinky replies (none which pertained to my question). I just started ignoring them.. In my opinion a bunch of old timers who belong to an elite class of "I bought the manual for $55" - and if you havent/dont, we dont really help you.

Quite ridiculous - hence why I came here (and cruiserforums). Much more helpful folks around here -

fyi I left them as suggested by some old time engine guys who really know their stuff on cruiserforums.. plus I kind of agreed - as one chap said, "let sleeping dogs lie". At least I permatexed under the bolt heads "in case" steam tried getting thru..

CalebD 11-04-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstarocka (Post 2051271250)

At least I permatexed under the bolt heads "in case" steam tried getting thru..

Sorry to hear you had a less then stellar experience there. Seems to me you did pretty good work and nicely documented too.

When I replaced my engine gaskets I did not use Permatex on the studs and I did/do sometimes get some steam through one bolt. Good call.

hellosailor 11-06-2017 06:21 PM

f-
Don't forget that stuck parts often respond to judicious heat from a torch. Or, from a dry ice/alcohol slurry. (Freezing works as well as torching.) And then there's PBlaster (sold retila) and Kroil (only available by mail/online) both of which are incredibly different from WD40.
Even with a stud remover, using those other things gives you a head start. LocTite and such break down and release with high heat, too.

RegisteredUser 11-06-2017 06:30 PM

Heat and cold:
Have done that before with bearings...oven and freezer.
Just takes a tad...tolerances so tight.

fstarocka 11-06-2017 08:28 PM

hi guys, I left them as is and just used a little permatex aviation under the head bolts - I used kroil over 3 days..then tried with a 1/2" impact wrench and stud remover - it was not budging so i just left them all..

Motor is running smooth as butter!

travlin-easy 11-06-2017 09:50 PM

I love A4 success stories! :) I've owned two boats with A4s and loved both of them.

All the best,

Gary :cool: