Advice for new Atomic 4, gas, owners - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 57 Old 07-18-2018
Dirt Free

Re: Advice for new Atomic 4, gas, owners

The atomic 4 is a sturdy little engine and is not problematic in itself however the vast majority (I really mean .... all) of manufacturers who installed these engines were complete idiots.

In 4,593 surveys I've never seen a single Atomic 4 properly installed.
The issues ...

The back side DC fuse and or breaker panels and AC breaker panels and AC outlets exposed to the engine/fuel compartment.

AC outlets in the engine/fuel compartment.

Solid core copper AC conductors.

AC connections made with wire twist (marrette) connectors ( in the engine/fuel compartment and elsewhere).

Solid copper fuel lines with no means of vibration control.

Non-ignition protected battery chargers or even worse chargers that were marked "protected" but were not.

Solid copper AC conductors.

Failure to bond the DC negative and AC grounds.

AC fuse panels instead of breaker panels.

Battery chargers mounted directly over batteries.

Unfused positive conductors on batteries.

A total disregard for the proper ventilation (intake and output) of a compartment containing gasoline with some models even venting directly into the accommodation spaces.

AC conductors zip tied to DC conductors and in some cases various parts of the engine.

Propane hose and/or solid copper pipe run through an engine compartment unsecured or not protected from vibration.

Gear clamps used to make propane connections.

Multiple propane connections (and in some cases valves) located within the accommodation spaces or engine compartment

I have seen these issues in every brand in North America that installed these engines.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 07-18-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The atomic 4 is a sturdy little engine and is not problematic in itself however the vast majority (I really mean .... all) of manufacturers who installed these engines were complete idiots.

In 4,593 surveys I've never seen a single Atomic 4 properly installed.
The issues ...

The back side DC fuse and or breaker panels and AC breaker panels and AC outlets exposed to the engine/fuel compartment.

AC outlets in the engine/fuel compartment.

Solid core copper AC conductors.

AC connections made with wire twist (marrette) connectors ( in the engine/fuel compartment and elsewhere).

Solid copper fuel lines with no means of vibration control.

Non-ignition protected battery chargers or even worse chargers that were marked "protected" but were not.

Solid copper AC conductors.

Failure to bond the DC negative and AC grounds.

AC fuse panels instead of breaker panels.

Battery chargers mounted directly over batteries.

Unfused positive conductors on batteries.

A total disregard for the proper ventilation (intake and output) of a compartment containing gasoline with some models even venting directly into the accommodation spaces.

AC conductors zip tied to DC conductors and in some cases various parts of the engine.

Propane hose and/or solid copper pipe run through an engine compartment unsecured or not protected from vibration.

Gear clamps used to make propane connections.

Multiple propane connections (and in some cases valves) located within the accommodation spaces or engine compartment

I have seen these issues in every brand in North America that installed these engines.

With the exception of the the fuel hose and ventilation concerns, I fail to see what these have to do with the installation of an Atomic 4 (or, really, any) engine. These are problems with electrical or propane installations which have little or nothing to do with the motor.
post #43 of 57 Old 07-19-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
With the exception of the the fuel hose and ventilation concerns, I fail to see what these have to do with the installation of an Atomic 4 (or, really, any) engine. These are problems with electrical or propane installations which have little or nothing to do with the motor.
The issues are spark and ventilation (fume/CO) issues with gasoline & propane exposure in a closed compartment with high spark potential from the many sources cited. Not only are most of the issues mentioned illegal in Canada (and some in the US) they are a hazard.

I'm not sure where you are taking issue as I said in that post the concerns were the installation and not the motor. The builders are responsible for installing the motor in that environment.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 07-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.

post #44 of 57 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
The issues are spark and ventilation (fume/CO) issues with gasoline & propane exposure in a closed compartment with high spark potential from the many sources cited. Not only are most of the issues mentioned illegal in Canada (and some in the US) they are a hazard.

I'm not sure where you are taking issue as I said in that post the concerns were the installation and not the motor. The builders are responsible for installing the motor in that environment.
My issue is that nearly all of the (very valid) point you are making have nothing to do with what kind of motor is installed. Wouldn't an unsafe propane and/or electric installation be just as unsafe in a boat with any other motor?
post #45 of 57 Old 07-19-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
My issue is that nearly all of the (very valid) point you are making have nothing to do with what kind of motor is installed. Wouldn't an unsafe propane and/or electric installation be just as unsafe in a boat with any other motor?
The topic was A4's (gasoline powered) so that was where I aimed my points.
The only other inboard gasoline engine I have seen in a sailboat is the OMC saildrive (thankfully, pretty much extinct). but all the noted points would also apply to those.

If you are referring to diesel engines, ventilation of those compartments is not a safety issue, there is no need for ignition protection or worry about sparks in the engine/fuel compartment and a fuel leak will not blow you up.

A few of the points made would also apply to diesel engines but that was not the topic.

post #46 of 57 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
The topic was A4's (gasoline powered) so that was where I aimed my points.
The only other inboard gasoline engine I have seen in a sailboat is the OMC saildrive (thankfully, pretty much extinct). but all the noted points would also apply to those.

If you are referring to diesel engines, ventilation of those compartments is not a safety issue, there is no need for ignition protection or worry about sparks in the engine/fuel compartment and a fuel leak will not blow you up.

A few of the points made would also apply to diesel engines but that was not the topic.
Well, that is precisely my point, many of the problems you list are not the topic, they have nothing to do with an Atomic 4.
post #47 of 57 Old 07-19-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Well, that is precisely my point, many of the problems you list are not the topic, they have nothing to do with an Atomic 4.
Perhaps you should re-read my post as you seem to have missed the point.
The A4 in a tractor is fine. The boat builders who installed them in sailboats put them in an entirely unsuitable environment.

I thought this was a valid point to make to the OP who was considering a boat known to have all of the problems I cited.

I think you are trolling for an argument so I will not be responding to anymore of your comments.

post #48 of 57 Old 07-19-2018
Senior Moment Member

It's a myth that the A4 was a marinized tractor engine. It and its ancestor were designed and built as marine engines.

The Universal Atomic 4 is a four-cylinder, 64.46 cubic inch, 30 horsepower (22 kW) gasoline engine produced by the Universal Motor Company between 1947 and 1984 for use as auxiliary power on sailboats.

Universal Atomic 4
History and Lineage

The Atomic 4 is descended from an earlier Universal Motor Company design called the Utility Four, which was used extensively in World War II by the United States Navy and allies to power the lifeboats for the ships, barges, and tankers of many navies and merchant marine fleets. The Utility Four model was replaced by the Atomic 4 in 1947.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #49 of 57 Old 07-19-2018

Quote:
Perhaps you should re-read my post as you seem to have missed the point.
The A4 in a tractor is fine. The boat builders who installed them in sailboats put them in an entirely unsuitable environment.

I thought this was a valid point to make to the OP who was considering a boat known to have all of the problems I cited.

I think you are trolling for an argument so I will not be responding to anymore of your comments.
I apologize if I misread your post (and no, I am not trolling). You do make very valid points and I have great respect for your expertise, I just did not see the connection with the topic of this thread. But I am more than willing to concede that I may have overlooked something in your post.
post #50 of 57 Old 07-20-2018

Yes, the A-4 (unlike the Kubota, Caterpillar, Ford Leaman and other engines which were "marinized") is the second generation of an engine which was used in lifeboats during WW-2 to begin with. It was designed from the oil pan up to be a marine engine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in