Beneteau Cruising - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 01-12-2019
Captain La

I own a sister ship to Bagheera my fifth sailboat. She is a First 38r, 10 winches, deep keel, tall rig. The finest machine I have ever owned. Continues to impress me with her performance. I have been doing this for over 50 years.
I raced a Hunter 31, quite succesful, last 2 years I raced won every race including 2 figawi races. Hunter copied Beneteau's pan grid construction, very strong boats, but not the quality of Beneteau's. We were going through woods hole, ma once, doing at least 9 knots over the bottom, my father at the helm, wanted to try it. He cut the channel, nasty place and we hit hard, then bounced off the rocks. Boat did not leak a drop, outer hull flexed and broke some stringers continued to MV and had it fixed later.
Beneteau had it right for awhile, would not buy one made after about 1995, engineering made some to thin, especially American made boats.
Some of the best boats made were in the 80's tough as nails. I first saw these first series boats at the Newport international boat show and fell in love with them. True racer/cruisers, scream upwind. Done over 10.5 knots downwind many times, does not creak, rattle, etc. Sounds like a frieght train going through the water, extraordinary sea kindly.
The more wind, the faster she goes, comfortable ride with a well thought out interior, and since i liveaboard, all the comforts of home.
Experienced see this boat and know.
I am an engineer, they got it right. Boat is in 7 books, all of Liza and Andy Copelands books, plus Worlds best sailboats volume 1 and Used boat notebook, top choice for a 40 footer. Most Beneteau's of this vintage are a good choice. Proud owner.
SanderO likes this.

It is the weak who are cruel, and gentleness is only expected from the strong.---Leo Rostern
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 01-12-2019
Captain La

I might add that the original first series boats were 0ver 35ft were open ocean certified and built to the French merchant marine standards and qualified by Lloyds of London. Not the lesser standard of ABYC.
SanderO likes this.

It is the weak who are cruel, and gentleness is only expected from the strong.---Leo Rostern
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Beneteau Cruising

Check the entries to the Pacific Puddle Jump. That rally lets you start anywhere, at any time and go to anywhere in the South Pacific so I think quite representative of the actual cruising community. The first stop from anywhere is 3,000 NM so a real test. Beneteau is by far the most common boat listed. Are there better boats? I'm sure there are. A friend had a budget from between $100-$150k for a boat, a nice amount, wanted it less than 20 years old. He'd heard the stories about Beneteau so was considering the Pacific Seacraft, a great line of boats. For his budget, he could get a 31-37 foot Pacific Seacraft or a 42-47 foot Beneteau.
SanderO and Minnesail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in