AIS-B Installation and range - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter

AIS-B Installation and range

I'm looking for feedback regarding factory installed AIS on a Beneteau. My OC45 came with the NAIS-300 unit that was installed sharing the VHF Radio Antenna. I know this is not the best but the dealer claims otherwise. My range is lousy.
AIS-B Targets <1.5kn
AIS-A Targets <8kn

I want to install a second antenna but obviously feel this should be the responsibility of the manufacturer. The installation as is does not perform anywhere near what should be expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

Dock
Re: AIS-B Installation and range

Your antenna cable is stuffed. Or the connections, or the antenna.

I get about 30 to 40nms for ships when at sea. Currently landlocks i get a few at 30nms

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

Yup.. Guessing one of the connectors has issues..

There is nothing wrong with AIS sharing the VHF antenna as long as you have a quality splitter. Frankly, you will get less range installing a second antenna as it will need to be lower than your VHF antenna (usually mounted on the spreader).

I get AIS-A targets at 25nm and AIS-B targets at 8NM. I have a shared antenna with a Vesper splitter.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter

Ok. Good feedback, thanks. The boat is 3 years old and I've only had it for two of those. Given that I have only started scrutinizing the AIS just recently I suspect it was bad from the start. I will look at the connections to the splitter and AIS unit. The radio seems fine and has good range.

Based on other findings throughout the boat it would not surprise me if there was a workmanship issue with a cable and connector or the like.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

At the ranges you are giving how many targets are there? It is most likely a range issue but in very heavily trafficked areas the number of ships can also reduce the visible range.

The NAIS-300 is limited to 250 targets, so this could be an issue near a large port.

Greg
post #6 of 22 Old 08-19-2015 Thread Starter

Number of targets is not an issue in my case but thanks for the suggestion. Refresh also seems a little slow. I've read that NMEA 0183 should be transmitting in high speed mode but I have yet to figure out if that is programmable or even an issue.

Last edited by Missingyou; 08-19-2015 at 05:06 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

NEMA 0183 is a very slow connection its only 4800 baud. I am not enough of an expert to tell you, but it wouldn't surprise me if the slow connection could also be limiting the number of targets visible.

Again my bet is the above is right and you just have a bad connection, but it wouldn't be impossible for a slow connection to cause it as well.

Greg
post #8 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

If possible I'd go with the two antennas - I have one on my spreader and one on the masthead.

Apart from anything else, it's nice to have the redundancy - I mounted my AIS transponder and VHF right next to each other so I could switch the cable around easily if one antenna failed.

Apparently splitters are pretty good nowadays but they used to be pretty awful, so maybe you have one of the terrible ones.

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Apparently splitters are pretty good nowadays but they used to be pretty awful, so maybe you have one of the terrible ones.
Are you saying that there is a particular brand of splitter that was manufactured poorly? Splitters have been around since the beginning of RF. Dual splitter w/o amp included is 3 dB loss. Been that way since splitters have been around. Can you be more specific on this?
post #10 of 22 Old 08-19-2015

I agree with Mark, I also get targets at 30-40 nm...once at night was getting targets at 80 nm.

I have a Garmin AIS 600, which has a built in antenna splitter, and has been trouble free.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Last edited by bob77903; 08-19-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in