INMast Furling System Jams Beneteau Oceanis35 - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 08-17-2019

Re: INMast Furling System Jams Beneteau Oceanis35

I'd second Capta on this, I've sailed quite a few boats on and offshore with hood furl mains and owned one for 10 years. The right amount of wind in the sail, a little tension on the outhaul, and it's like magic. Super easy without putting anyone on deck. As I age I think about nice this was. I've furled in a gale without issue, and enjoyed the infinite easy reefing.

On our smaller boat now we have lazy jacks and full battens and one electric winch for the halyard. It works well when head to wind, the mainsheet is cleared and free to run, and the McLube is fresh on the track. But sometimes that gets hung too and requires someone on deck to pull the last few feet of flogging main down. Inevitably, this is on a sporty day when it's blowing a stink with the usual complications of balance and footwork.

I've also sailed roller furling booms. Seems really sensible, the roller is within reach and even if it gets buggered, you could drop the sail on the deck. But those have their quirks too. Just the right boom angle is critical to get the thing to roll right. But when you do it right, it's kinda nice.

I've sailed boats with dutchman systems. When setup right, really nice. But the exact right amount of tension in them seems to be critical to get the sail to fully drop. Takes a bit to get them dialed in.

Every system has its quirks. I suspect from the OP's initial post, his mast in not in column, but it also could be blown out sails as others have suggested.
slap likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 08-17-2019

Our in mast furls in clockwise, as you look up the mast (not sure if that's protocol for describing this). Therefore, the sail rolls in and out on the starboard side of the furler. As a result, having wind on the starboard side of mast pushes the sail away from the slot and makes it a bit easier to furl in/out. On the other hand, wind on port side makes it much harder to furl or reef and I avoid that.
capecodda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-17-2019

Capta good to know. Havenít owned a boat with in mast. My knowledge and experience is from crewing on them. Your more extensive experience as a owner is informative and I thank you for it. Do you let others reef? When crewing owners have either been watching or do it themselves.
capta likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #14 of 17 Old 08-17-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Capta good to know. Haven’t owned a boat with in mast. My knowledge and experience is from crewing on them. Your more extensive experience as a owner is informative and I thank you for it. Do you let others reef? When crewing owners have either been watching or do it themselves.
Skipping Stone is about the easiest boat I've ever sailed. We don't ever need help, and whatever work (furling/trimming) we do do is the fun part, like docking. So, no we don't let folks handle the RF main. We do accept help furling or setting the jib if they like, but the big 65 electric sheet winches, I'm hesitant to let folks operate those.
SanderO likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #15 of 17 Old 08-18-2019

Been impressed by my Dutchman. The sail was built for it with pockets for the loose ends along the foot. The tops of the fishing line is attached to the topping lift. There’s no way to screw up the tuning. Pull the topping lift until the boom is parallel to the water. Tighten the fishing lines so the pockets have very slight tension with the main up. Done. The prior comment it’s difficult is not true.
Wife finds the noise of flapping sails scary. With full battens even in high winds there’s little or no flapping. I find it nice to be able to reef by myself. The only hassle is due to single line reefing for the first two reefs. For them you need to drop a little bit of main then pull in a little bit of reef line and inch along until the reef is in. The third reef is double lined and a snap to do. Although we have powered winches they aren’t used to reef. The only winch work is at the end to tension the main halyard. I like having the extra roach and lack of noise of full battens. I like being able to point a little higher.
I’m an idiot and at times inattentive. So I keep to the KISS principal. Glad to hear people here have had good experiences with in mast and in boom. My experiences have been not as benign. Fouled in mast. In boom main sails crawling one way or the other as it is being rolled up. Having no ability to shape the main with the vang.
I don’t want anything on my boat I can’t fix or jerryrig a fix while underway. We had old school cringles placed on the main sail as well as the blocks and the reefing hooks at the gooseneck. Should the Dutchman or single line reefing fail the fallback is there in place already. Could even swap out the outhaul for the clew and there’s a cleat on the forward boom placed to secure that line. In short it’s good to have a belt and suspenders. It’s bad to be dependent on complexity.
Many ways to skin the cat. All have pluses and minuses. So far the biggest minus for the Dutchman is putting the suncover on. It’s a PIA with so many slits and fasteners.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Been impressed by my Dutchman. The sail was built for it with pockets for the loose ends along the foot. The tops of the fishing line is attached to the topping lift. Thereís no way to screw up the tuning. Pull the topping lift until the boom is parallel to the water. Tighten the fishing lines so the pockets have very slight tension with the main up. Done. The prior comment itís difficult is not true.
Wife finds the noise of flapping sails scary. With full battens even in high winds thereís little or no flapping. I find it nice to be able to reef by myself. The only hassle is due to single line reefing for the first two reefs. For them you need to drop a little bit of main then pull in a little bit of reef line and inch along until the reef is in. The third reef is double lined and a snap to do. Although we have powered winches they arenít used to reef. The only winch work is at the end to tension the main halyard. I like having the extra roach and lack of noise of full battens. I like being able to point a little higher.
Iím an idiot and at times inattentive. So I keep to the KISS principal. Glad to hear people here have had good experiences with in mast and in boom. My experiences have been not as benign. Fouled in mast. In boom main sails crawling one way or the other as it is being rolled up. Having no ability to shape the main with the vang.
I donít want anything on my boat I canít fix or jerryrig a fix while underway. We had old school cringles placed on the main sail as well as the blocks and the reefing hooks at the gooseneck. Should the Dutchman or single line reefing fail the fallback is there in place already. Could even swap out the outhaul for the clew and thereís a cleat on the forward boom placed to secure that line. In short itís good to have a belt and suspenders. Itís bad to be dependent on complexity.
Many ways to skin the cat. All have pluses and minuses. So far the biggest minus for the Dutchman is putting the suncover on. Itís a PIA with so many slits and fasteners.
My experience echoes what Out writes. I got the system when it was just released and maybe even in beta testing. I fitted it to my boat for going offshore. I have had no problems with it... except to replace the monofilament. No I am not thrilled about the grommets/holes in the sail.. but there is little downside and the upsides are many... larger roach and full battens which give me better shape.. and no flogging of the sail which is not very good for it when it happens. KISS and easy to maintain.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5902.jpg  
outbound likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #17 of 17 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have an 09 Beneteau 31, which with the US-Spar furling mast. I suspect the OP has the same mast.

One important bit with that mast is to make sure there is no down- or up-force on the boom when furling or unfurling other than that from the sail itself. That is, make sure the sheet and vang are slack, and your topping lift should be set so that it is slack when the sail is raised. The boom will rise as the sail is unfurled; if you have too much counterforce it will add resistance, and also make it more likely to get a crease jammed in the slot.

The OP mentioned the mast is bowed; it may have too much pre-bend. A furling mast needs to be mostly straight.

My original sail was incorrect for the mast; it was supposed to have an additional luff tape going down from the feed slot to the tack due to a design change in the mast. The result was that the bottom of the luff would pull free from the slot, then jam going back in. Neal Pryde retrofitted the sail, and we've not had problem since. Hopefully your newer boat would not have that problem.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in