SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Beneteau Designs

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Have you seen the new Beneteau designs??

For what it's worth, it is my opinion that they have cheapened the models with faux interior materials and lesser detailing.

I own an OC 381 with cane paneled interior doors on the cabinets, real wood interior flooring, real wood panelling etc etc.

The newer models seem to be finished with melmalineand other synthetics.

What say you all ??

#3 ·
I was just going to say that I would rather buy and older 456 and fix it up.:) Even the 45f5 is better looking, not sure how it sails though. Not sure if the poster is still around, taking a closer look.

#4 ·
Yeah, the OP was a while ago.

But anyway we attended a boat show recently with these new Benes, the 49, 40 included, and also found the interiors austere, non-nautical and far too wide open. In addition, the wide cabin house, while low for visibility and sight lines, meant the side decks were much narrower than our 34 footer's for passage forward.

Did not like the squared off doors/passageways, the "modern condo" look, but the volume is impressive and there's tons of "space" - without tons of storage.

It was actually kind of gratifying to leave the dock that day and both my wife and I feeling that "our little boat's not so bad".

#5 ·
Yeah, the OP was a while ago.

It was actually kind of gratifying to leave the dock that day and both my wife and I feeling that "our little boat's not so bad".
Same thing happened to us after looking at all the newer designs and materials used. We left loving our Frers 456 a lot more. For the amount of money we have invested here and still be able to beat most newer Beneteaus (at triple the price) we just have one thing left to do: Give her more TLC.

#6 ·
Avasquez, I already told you I know your vintage Beneteau very well. And these are the ones I like.

That's the real Beneteau form when Beneteau was Beneteau..and it meant something...from there, its been a downhill ride caused by the loss of a market niche, buying of other comeptitor brands, less sailing more in marina type sailor demand, and more important..agressive marketing and product placement from other brands, such as German, Italian and even French.

I believe the Coup de Grâce, for quality started in 1993 to 1995, when the First 45 f5 series had to be completely recalled due to osmosis syndrome...

Then the agressive penetration in US market, etc.....

NOw add to this a bunch of "weirdos" atelier de BS designers for the interiors...and the line for doom is traced....they will recover, but very hard and atr a great cost...

Beneteau is losing ground, it will never conquer again.

Cherish your boat, and watch the thru hull carefully...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.