Beneteau First 42 Manual - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 64 Old 01-15-2019
Old as Dirt!

Re: Beneteau First 42 Propeller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG View Post
Hello, following with the works in my First 42, recently I have changed the head gasket of the Perkins 4108 and other things in the engine but I have a big doubt about the propeller.

Someone know the size and pitch of the propeller that come originally from factory with the First 42? Or perhaps other owners of First 42 can share what propeller have in his boats?

Thanks
The boat was originally delivered with a Gori 2-blade folding prop. Some years ago we corresponded with Greg Prior at Gori concerning a replacement for our boat (1986 First 42, 4-108 Engine with Hurth Transmission) and, for our sailing/cruising (not racing so much any longer) their response/suggestion was:

Quote:
I have done the full calcs. & the correct sizing for your Beneteau First 42 with the Perkins 4.108 & 2.14:1 gear ratio is the 18" x 12 x 3-blade RH.
FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 64 Old 01-15-2019
Custom User Title

Quote:
Someone know the size and pitch of the propeller that come originally from factory with the First 42? Or perhaps other owners of First 42 can share what propeller have in his boats?

Thanks
I don't remember what the original was, but I'm running a Flexofold and it's much better. Details below:

Beneteau First 42 (1984)
Perkins 4108 (45HP, 3600 RPM, reduction 1:2,14/1,95)

Prop is 16x11 R bladeset, 1 1/4" SAE, 2-blade hub

be excellent to each other
Beneteau First 42
post #53 of 64 Old 01-18-2019
CDG

Re: Beneteau First 42 Manual

Hello svHyLyte and Heinous, thanks for your answers.

I'm having problems with the forum to post a reply. I will try another time.

Seems that the original reduction of the First 42 with the Parkins 4108 is 1:2,14 but my boat have a 1:2,5, so my propeller should be a bit different.

Now my boat with a fix 3 blade 17x13 propeller, reach 6,6 at 2.500 rpm, and at full throttle rpm is around 2800 and 7,2 knts, that seems not tuoo much. Last year with a 2 blade 17x14 was faster.

Perhaps can you tell me about the rpm and speed of your engines, at cruising and at max rpm reached?

post #54 of 64 Old 01-18-2019
Old as Dirt!

In our case, I did not go with the Gori 3-blade quoted to us as mentioned earlier but elected to have our original 2-blade prop reconditioned. That is a 10x20 Gori folding prop. With that, at 2500 RPM we run at about 6.5-6.7 knots in flat water. At 3000 RPM we run at about 7.8-8.0 knots. (The foregoing with a clean bottom and, again, in flat water.) WOT on our boat is around 3600-3800 but I don't go there! As a practical matter, I don't like running for extended periods much beyond 2500-2700 RPM which gives us adequate speed (from our prospective) and keeps the engine temp at about 180 F.

Note that, because of the shallow pitch of the blades, our prop is very sensitive to any debris/growth on the blades and I can always tell when it needs a polish as our speed drops off and the boat become less responsive to throttle settings.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #55 of 64 Old 01-18-2019
CDG

Hello skyLyte, that mean that your propeller is 20" diameter and 10 of pitch?

Seems that the cruising speed of your boat is similar to mine but your maximum speed is greater.... interesting.
post #56 of 64 Old 01-18-2019
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Hello skyLyte (That's "HyLyte"), that mean that your propeller is 20" diameter and 10 of pitch? Yes

Seems that the cruising speed of your boat is similar to mine but your maximum speed is greater.... interesting.
The 2500 RPM throttle setting gives us the best fuel economy vs. range capability. At that RPM we burn just under .75 Gal/hour. That gives us about 45 hours running time under power (with a reserve) or just under a 275 mile range (assuming 6 kns at sea). As a practical matter, however, I rarely let the tank get below 1/4. We carry 3 5-gal jugs of spare fuel in the life-raft well under the cockpit grate and, when necessary, can easily refuel using a "Puff Siphon"

FWIW...

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-18-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Correct Typo's
post #57 of 64 Old 03-01-2019

Thank you for the information.
post #58 of 64 Old 07-24-2019
CDG

Re: Beneteau First 42 exhaust?

Hello,

Recently due to a problem, with the supports we take the engine out of the boat. When we finish the works and put the engine back in his place, we find a salt water leak that only appears when the engine is running, without need to engage the transmission, and comes from the space under the fuel tank

The diagnostic seems clair: a exhaust leak.

As the First 42 have a space behind the engine where is near impossible to access, could someone give me information about the exhaust system and the way to repair it?

Thanks
post #59 of 64 Old 07-24-2019 Thread Starter

I had the same problem as you about five years ago. Originally I started seeing more water in the bilge when I was running which I thought was the packing leaking more. When adjusting the packing didn't fix it I started looking harder and found a leak in the 2" exhaust hose in the rear of the boat after the wet exhaust muffler. It was an absolute pain to get in there and get it loose but I finally was able to. I took the section from the water and bought a new section of wet exhaust hose to replace it. I didn't have to cut holes in the port cabin but it almost came to that.

Last year I had a leak in my exhaust elbow so I pulled the heat exchanger to have it cleaned and rebuilt while waiting on the new elbow. While it was out I replaced the remaining section of wet exhaust hose from the exhaust elbow to the muffler. I think I needed around 22' of hose total to replace the entire wet exhaust hose from engine to outlet.

Last edited by Letrappes; 07-24-2019 at 08:25 AM.
post #60 of 64 Old 07-24-2019
CDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
I had the same problem as you about five years ago. Originally I started seeing more water in the bilge when I was running which I thought was the packing leaking more. When adjusting the packing didn't fix it I started looking harder and found a leak in the 2" exhaust hose in the rear of the boat after the wet exhaust muffler. It was an absolute pain to get in there and get it loose but I finally was able to. I took the section from the water and bought a new section of wet exhaust hose to replace it. I didn't have to cut holes in the port cabin but it almost came to that.

Last year I had a leak in my exhaust elbow so I pulled the heat exchanger to have it cleaned and rebuilt while waiting on the new elbow. While it was out I replaced the remaining section of wet exhaust hose from the exhaust elbow to the muffler. I think I needed around 22' of hose total to replace the entire wet exhaust hose from engine to outlet.
Thanks for the info Letrappes. But I can imagine how did you get access to both ends of the muffler. For me seems impossible!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in