Beneteau First 42 Manual - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 64 Old 07-25-2019
Old as Dirt!

Re: Beneteau First 42 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDG View Post
Thanks for the info Letrappes. But I can imagine how did you get access to both ends of the muffler. For me seems impossible!
In the port aft cabin, there is a smaller hatch door in the bulkhead between the cabin and the engine compartment situated beneath the base of the berth, which is removable. It is awkward but doable. One must be careful not to damage the wiring from the fuel level gage sender near the top edge of the fuel tank above the muffler.

FWIW I suspect that everyone that owns a mid-80's era First 42 has gone through the exhaust hose replacement exercise or, if not, will. Ours cracked right above the exhaust through-hull in the bustle while we were enroute to Key West from Tampa Bay a few years ago. Fortunately, I had a roll of "Rescue Tape" aboard and was able to make temporary repairs but we had to deal with quite a flood for awhile. A real (literal) pain in the neck! When replacing the exhaust hose, you need the most flexible hose you can obtain, regardless of cost. Trust me! BTDT!

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 07-25-2019 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Correct Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 07-25-2019 Thread Starter

For the aft end of the muffler I had a friends ten year old son loosen the hose clamp and was able to remove it by pulling from the port lazarette. Putting it back on I had to sightly ream and lube the hose but got it back on and had the same kid put a new hose clamp back on. For the front side of the muffler I already had the heat exchanger off the engine so was able to get to it myself and put it back on. I ended up with a free end of spool piece of Parker brand wet exhaust rated hose. It was a pain to get in for sure but it's working fine now. This absolutely was not easy and I really don't ever want to do it again.
post #63 of 64 Old 07-25-2019
CDG

Itís a good idea to have a kid to help changing the rear hose!

It seems that you both have the leak in the hose not in the body of the muffler. I just bought a little endoscopic camera to try to found where is located the leak.

post #64 of 64 Old 07-28-2019
CDG

Hello, finally Iíve found that the front of the muffler is very corroded. After some intents I decided to open a big window under the port bed and take out the muffler. Now I send the muffler to repair and will change also the hoses.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in