bermuda 40 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-30-2014 Thread Starter

bermuda 40

hello everybody,

followed the forums for many years but this is the first time that i post to ask for your help. I am about to change boat. I now i have a j boat. I raced her for the first two years and for the last four i have cruised her extensively in the north east. I am a good sailor and racer and i achieved some good results in my sailing career. Although, still pretty young, now it is time for me to get a cruising boat that i can sail with some level of comfort with my wife (and occasional one or two friends for a weekend). I am not interested in a modern production boat. I don't like the way they look inside and outside. After cruising for four years on a sprit boat, i am happy to exchange speed (even a big chunk of it) for some comfort and seakind motion. I am interested in a fiberglass boat with lots of wood on deck (obviously, i am aware of the extensive work to maintain it). i like old fashioned, yachty, herreshoff-style interiors. I like classic , balanced lines. And great built quality, in he hull and the cabinetry inside.
budget 150-200k
I am narrowing down to Bermuda 40 and Morris Justine. I like the size of the Justine but i am in love with the look of the B40.
I would like to get your opinion and experience. Maybe new suggestions. and i would love to get in touch with owners of the above mentioned boats and listen to their insights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-30-2014
Frozen Member

Re: bermuda 40

Beautiful boats!. Lots of alternatives out there without the B40 name though as well. This one came up in another thread recently, A Ted Hood Little Harbor and I was looking at an Alden Caravel as another beauty.

Love the classics. Good luck in your search.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-30-2014

Sailed a b40 in Marion to Bermuda several times. Great boat and not draft limited.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 20 Old 07-30-2014

No experience with a B40 whatsoever, but aesthetically it's one of my all time favorites. More to the point of your query, Practical Sailor had a review of them a few issues ago. You may want to search for it if you haven't read it yet.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-31-2014

I have been on a B40 a few times going from the Chesapeake to Southwest Harbor and thought the boat handled just fine. Crossed the Gulf of Maine in a six to ten foot sea and headwind at night and was very confident in the boat even when the other two on board with more experience were seasick due to a diesel fuel spill. I am not a big fan of centerboards though...I sailed a morris double ender years ago and it was a fine sailing boat with excellent craftsmanship...
post #6 of 20 Old 07-31-2014

An acquaintance in my harbor sold his large 'lobster yacht', to return to sailing.

He tried to buy a Hinckley Pilot 35, and failed. So he 'settled' on a Morris Justine 36.

I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either,... But it shows something about the Hinckley attraction. Owners absolutely love them.

Here's a B40 in 4'.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-31-2014 Thread Starter

Thank you.
any hinckley owner or morris owner who wants to share their experience? Is Bermuda 40 as wet as some people say? is the interior space more or less the same in the B40 and Justine?
post #8 of 20 Old 08-01-2014

Sailed a Morris36 that started in duxbury mass and ended up in man of war cay. Morris is in some ways a simpler boat to sail. She points better and has a more comfortable motion to me. She is small inside when c/w a more modern boat and was cramped with four aboard but I suspect would be a great couples boat. Workmanship was impeccable.

Would also look at the rustler 36 which is my favorite boat of this size. It is still in production which may make service down the line easier believe you a get a use one in the same price range for a newer boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-01-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-01-2014 Thread Starter

and what do you think of Cape Dory 36? comparable with the justine in terms of performance, space and quality (even though not quite Morris quality)? And is it worth investing in a Hinckley 40 or is it going to be more trouble (maintaining, more work to sail etc) than it is worth?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaporaz66 View Post
And is it worth investing in a Hinckley 40 or is it going to be more trouble (maintaining, more work to sail etc) than it is worth?
If you're thinking about buying a B40, that is the question.

You'll pay more front for a vintage B40 than any other similar CCA era boat. 2, maybe 3 times as much.

Most of that premium price will be recouped when it comes time to resell.

But a good portion of a B40's value, is in it's current state of maintenance. Most B40's are very well maintained when you consider their age. They look like new!

That high level of maintenance is expensive-either out of pocket or in DIY time(if the owner is capable-which is rare). If you don't keep it up, you'll lose a good chunk of value.
midnightsailor likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Tags
bermuda 40 , hinckley , justine , morris

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in