Catalina-22, O'day-22, or this curveball Starwind! - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2014 Thread Starter

Catalina-22, O'day-22, or this curveball Starwind!

Hi everyone. My virgin post...

Buying a used pocket cruiser for Lake Erie. Maily daysailing with the occasional camp out with my 5 and 7yo. Probably find myself in more open water to the islands (here in Ohio) twice a yr.

I was all set on a 22' but got caught up in keel hysteria and held off buying either due to overanalysis. Anyway, there's a 19' Starwind for sale that seems pretty roomy down below so that's in the mix now too.

Any input on how these boats would handle the open Lake as well as comfort is MOST appreciated. I'm totally new to pocket cruisers. My experience is racing small FJ's and crewing/cruising on bigger boats. Never even owned my very own yet.

BTW the O'day is a shoal keel and the Cat and Star are swing.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2014
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Re: Catalina-22, O'day-22, or this curveball Starwind!

I was very happy with my Jaguar 22 which the UK clone of the Catalina 22. I had the swing keel varient with the pop top. It sailed pretty well and I lived on board a couple of summers cruising first the west coast of Scotland then Yugoslavia.

Big plus for the Cat is the active users groups and the availability of spare parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
Tubesteak (08-11-2014)
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2014

Tube, where are you sailing from? You mention the islands so I'm assuming Western Lake Erie? If so, that's where I sail and I have my boat docked at Sandusky Harbor Marina. Unless you're in Sandusky Bay, I'd probably stay away from anything less than a 22. In fact, I would probably not go smaller than a Catalina 25. My wife and I were sailing on Saturday, planning on going up towards Pelee Island. Winds were pretty fresh from the north/northeast, and on a close-haul we were getting beat up a bit, so we turned around and sailed in the bay instead. If it were just me, I'd likely have continued on, but the wife wasn't enjoying the ride. One thing to be careful of with smaller boats too, is that in the chop (and there was a lot of it this weekend), the outboard will be coming up out of the water.

If I were to choose between the brands though, I'd pick Catalina. I had a Catalina 25 prior to the Beneteau, and it was great, the company was great to work with, and Catalinas have a big support network. I'm kind of looking for a Catalina 22 myself to sail on a small reservoir where I live.
The Following User Says Thank You to bshock For This Useful Post:
Tubesteak (08-11-2014)

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2014

All good boats, but Catalina being the most popular means you have a ton of options for resources.
The Following User Says Thank You to tschmidty For This Useful Post:
Tubesteak (08-11-2014)
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2014 Thread Starter

TQA: 2 summers in Yugoslavia and Scotland sound amazing!

bshock: I live west of Cleveland but would run to the islands from Sandusky. Definately would watch the weather but am concerned about how the boats (especially the Starwind) would handle very light wind as well.

tschmidty: Yeah I know there all good boats and that there really is no wrong decision here....that's why it's tough. Cat and O'day do have the resource advantage I agree.

All 3 are ready to sail. Starwind (83) is the cleanest inside and out...really pretty. O'day is a 74 and is the cheapest. A little rough in the cabin but I like projects. Cat is a 78 and falls in the middle. As far as handling rougher waters I think the Cat and O'day would be pretty equivalent. Not sure how the Starwind would fare. By rough I'm talking like occasional 5ft with 25 mph or so. In a light breeze I've heard the Cats are pretty good but don't know about the other 2. Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2014

Last fall I got a '74 Catalina 22 swing keel, and have been having a great time sailing it this summer. The previous posters are correct, there's immense support for this boat.

As far as handling weather I've been very happy with it. The strongest wind I've sailed in was 20 knots with gusts to 40. I had a single reef in the main and a small "storm" jib up. It was exciting but in no way scary, we never even heeled enough to get the rail in the water.

My lake is too small to have any real waves, so I can't report on how it handles waves.

I have a nylon 170 that I pull out on light wind days. It moves the boat along on days when other people don't go out because "there's no wind."

I find it easy to single-hand. I use a tiller-tamer which helps a lot.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2015

I owned a O'Day 22 for 39 years......I know the boat well.
The "fixed" keel is much superior to the "swing" keel..less noise and maintenance.
Also, if your balsa core deck is "soft," I can suggest a reasonable cost repair.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-27-2015 Thread Starter

Funny this thread popped up again. I went with none of the above. Got a great deal on a Mirage 24 and love it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in