I've got to find myself a Yawl - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-09-2006 Thread Starter

I've got to find myself a Yawl

I just let my partner buy me out on our Yawl. Patnership was not a good one. I am hooked on the yawl rig. Looking for something in the 33 to 36 foot range with old traditional lines. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-09-2006
Señor Member

Guess your partner said "ketch yawl later" . . . sorry couldn't resist.

Have you considered the advantages of a ketch over a yawl? Since a ketch's mizzen is forward of the rudder post, and a yawl's is aft, on some boats the cockpit becomes more usable. But if it's a yawl you want, a broker at my marina has a beautiful Hinckley Bermuda 40 MKII Yawl listed for 149k that pleases my senses -

True Blue . . .
sold the Nauticat
post #3 of 24 Old 06-09-2006

I have to second the B40. Sailed hull #1 as a kid. One of my greatest memories.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-09-2006

Hmmm, does anyone even make yawls anymore?

From Wikipedia

In its heyday, the rig was particularly popular with single-handed sailors, such as circumnavigators Joshua Slocum and Francis Chichester. This was largely due to the remarkable ability of a yawl to be trimmed to follow a compass course accurately despite minor wind shifts. Modern self-steering and navigation aids have made this less important, and the yawl has generally fallen out of favor.

The Hinkley in True Blue's post is a beauty but I would have to sell the house and live on it. Actually, that doesn't sound too bad.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-09-2006

Y'all just have to move to Mobile, Alabama. Y'alls everywhere.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-15-2006

How 'bout a nice Bristol 35?

Awlgripped, refit, new traveler, new standing rigging, new Yanmar diesel, new cushions, etc., etc. Located St. Thomas, USVI and ready to rock.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-15-2006 Thread Starter

B40 is a little too rich for me too. Ketch rig takes up to much of the cockpitt. Yawl rig much more conducive to single handing and dancing without bumping into any masts.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-16-2006

The Pearson 35 and Tartan 34 keel/centerboarders were both made with yawl rigs, but they are pretty scarce. I recently saw a Tartan 34 on Yacht World that had the yawl rigging available with it, but was not installed. Pearson 35 yawls are (slightly) more common. Also: Allied Seabreeze 35, a very pretty boat but somewhat underballasted, espec. as a centerboarder, and Bristol 35, same centerboard/ballast situation in my opinion. The deep keel Bristol 35 is probably a better choice. There is a sweet little Bristol 32 yawl in my area. I believe they are relatively common.

Other alternatives to the Hinckley B40 would be the Block Island 40 and the Bristol 39/40, both very similar to the Hinckley but generally cheaper, espec the Bristol.

I, too, find yawls attractive, but scarce. I ended up with a sloop, impatience having overcome esthetics. Best of luck; "perserverance furthers." (I Ching)
post #9 of 24 Old 06-21-2006

The B40 is one of the prettiest boats ever made IMHO.
That boat just elicits that feeling we all yearn for from a classic sailboat.
'twould be nice.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-18-2006

I have a Seawolf 41 which is of course a Ketch Rig. But I understand your love of multiple sails. Sailing is afterall an intellectual challenge and an endless exercise of fine tuning to tweak the sails to just the right setting so the boat moves forward efficiently ...Pearson made some pretty nice ketch rigs which might be in your price range.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in