Merit 25 sailors? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 96 Old 07-29-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Merit 25 sailors?

Sorry Christian, didn't notice the thread...

Keel guides are a must, or at least, if you can fashion something that'll steer the keel to the center of the trailer. PVC pipe works, we're talking very small amounts of pressure to steer the boat to center.

Also, that's a decent fin keel size, so the trailer will need to be in deep. HOW DEEP is obvious, but how STEEP your ramp is dictates how badly you need a bow support. You see the boat floats flat, but the trailer is in the water at an angle.. and even if you get the bow to float up to the winch, its angle will go up dramatically as you pull the boat out (rock back)... so a Better way is to put a bow roller on a support, and winch the boat UP the roller and out of the water as you pull forward (you'll still get rock back, but it shouldn't be as bad)... the advantage of this is that the trailer need not be as deep either... because you are actually pulling at least just the bow out of the water some (and up)...

Picture of what I mean:

and

Boat looks good, spin(s) look good. Not sure I agree with the ditching of the fossil fuel burner, but to each his own. You'll have to pry my 2 stroke motor from my cold dead hands. I'm loving my 7.5hp yacthwin... its quiet, runs well, has lots of power, an alternator, and has very few issues. Loved my Johnson 3.5hp too, was light (35lbs), and had everything in 1 package... plus pushed my Capri 25 to hull speed. NO wires, no fuel lines... just drop it on the motor mount pull and go (1 tank of gas gave me 45 minutes WOT, half throttle was like an hour and a half!).

Strap launching will likely be needed if your ramp isn't real steep (likely)... Do you know if you have nice tongue weight on the trailer with the boat on? If you do, then you SHOULD be able to strap launch/retrieve without having to put rear trailer dollies on. Otherwise get a rotate to lock down trailer dolly rated to like #1500... and place it dead center on the last cross member of the trailer. Keep it about 2-4" above the ground (you really don't want to use it unless you have to)... it'll keep the trailer from flipping up as soon as you try to pull the boat out.

Back the trailer down to about 3 feet from the edge of the water... make sure your truck/trailer are already perfectly aligned with the ramp.

Wheel chock the trailer.

Keep safety chains ON the trailer.

Unhitch, to a heavy duty dolly, preferred a large wheel front landing gear type dual wheel dolly if you can find one.
run your come-along/tow strap from your safety chain attachment point to a secure spot on the trailer (prefer low), and back. I used a
10,000lb rated tow strap (25 feet, and ran from hitch, to winch post to hitch).

Undo your safety chains (secure them out of the way).

Pull truck forward 6-12"

remove wheel chocks..

Lower rear dolly if you need it (again 2-4" off ground)

back trailer down.

get your boat on, use the bow roller/winch to lift the bow UP to the winch, bow ideally will be out of the water 2-4"

SLOWLY pull the boat/trailer out, check to make sure the keel is centered... you likely will have a small range of float where you can push the stern of the boat around, to align the boat to the trailer, its also usually where you CANNOT see the keel.

Reverse above process and hitch back up.

If push comes to shove, and the boat is on, but not entirely forward on the trailer (it happens believe me, and you'll know this by seeing the trailer resting on the aft dolly). You might need drop back, and work the boat forward.

If you get the boat ON the trailer, and mostly centered, and hitched up, but its still not all the way forward... 10 guys/gals can LIFT the boat up, while an 11th can winch the boat forward, and you'll get it where it needs to be... ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Good luck. Shame you aren't closer man... I'd be happy to help in the train wreck
christian.hess likes this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingUphill For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (07-30-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 96 Old 07-29-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

By the way Christian.. I bought one of these pre-feeders for my S2... and I have to say, it was a pricey, but worthwhile addition to my boat.
Spinlock Sail Mainsail Prefeeder

Was looking for a better picture of it, can't find one, but it slides down below the luff groove, and you tighten it in place. There are a pair of rollers on either side that feed the boltrope up into the slot, it really makes it so you can easily just hoist away, can even do it from the cockpit.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #83 of 96 Old 07-29-2015

glad you got a great deal!!! It just makes it sweeter when you feel you have come ahead. I know the feeling--thought I got a great deal--AND I did BUT the trailer needed new tires--not just air, at least one wheel needs new bearings---tongue needed welding to beef it up--BUT the BOAT looks like mostly cleaning and new sheets Soooo a great deal!!! at least I am still happy with it.

post #84 of 96 Old 07-29-2015

recently purchased boat that I shop vacuumed 300 pounds of water out of. laughed when I found a couple of sponges under floor boards---had read about that trick. ha ha What amount of water did you add to the bleach to clean the hull?
As for the brakes for trailer--guess you are talking electric brakes--try searching www etrailer dot com i was looking to put brakes on a homemade trailer and they were super helpful
post #85 of 96 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Sorry Christian, didn't notice the thread...

Keel guides are a must, or at least, if you can fashion something that'll steer the keel to the center of the trailer. PVC pipe works, we're talking very small amounts of pressure to steer the boat to center.

Also, that's a decent fin keel size, so the trailer will need to be in deep. HOW DEEP is obvious, but how STEEP your ramp is dictates how badly you need a bow support. You see the boat floats flat, but the trailer is in the water at an angle.. and even if you get the bow to float up to the winch, its angle will go up dramatically as you pull the boat out (rock back)... so a Better way is to put a bow roller on a support, and winch the boat UP the roller and out of the water as you pull forward (you'll still get rock back, but it shouldn't be as bad)... the advantage of this is that the trailer need not be as deep either... because you are actually pulling at least just the bow out of the water some (and up)...

Picture of what I mean:

and

Boat looks good, spin(s) look good. Not sure I agree with the ditching of the fossil fuel burner, but to each his own. You'll have to pry my 2 stroke motor from my cold dead hands. I'm loving my 7.5hp yacthwin... its quiet, runs well, has lots of power, an alternator, and has very few issues. Loved my Johnson 3.5hp too, was light (35lbs), and had everything in 1 package... plus pushed my Capri 25 to hull speed. NO wires, no fuel lines... just drop it on the motor mount pull and go (1 tank of gas gave me 45 minutes WOT, half throttle was like an hour and a half!).

Strap launching will likely be needed if your ramp isn't real steep (likely)... Do you know if you have nice tongue weight on the trailer with the boat on? If you do, then you SHOULD be able to strap launch/retrieve without having to put rear trailer dollies on. Otherwise get a rotate to lock down trailer dolly rated to like #1500... and place it dead center on the last cross member of the trailer. Keep it about 2-4" above the ground (you really don't want to use it unless you have to)... it'll keep the trailer from flipping up as soon as you try to pull the boat out.

Back the trailer down to about 3 feet from the edge of the water... make sure your truck/trailer are already perfectly aligned with the ramp.

Wheel chock the trailer.

Keep safety chains ON the trailer.

Unhitch, to a heavy duty dolly, preferred a large wheel front landing gear type dual wheel dolly if you can find one.
run your come-along/tow strap from your safety chain attachment point to a secure spot on the trailer (prefer low), and back. I used a
10,000lb rated tow strap (25 feet, and ran from hitch, to winch post to hitch).

Undo your safety chains (secure them out of the way).

Pull truck forward 6-12"

remove wheel chocks..

Lower rear dolly if you need it (again 2-4" off ground)

back trailer down.

get your boat on, use the bow roller/winch to lift the bow UP to the winch, bow ideally will be out of the water 2-4"

SLOWLY pull the boat/trailer out, check to make sure the keel is centered... you likely will have a small range of float where you can push the stern of the boat around, to align the boat to the trailer, its also usually where you CANNOT see the keel.

Reverse above process and hitch back up.

If push comes to shove, and the boat is on, but not entirely forward on the trailer (it happens believe me, and you'll know this by seeing the trailer resting on the aft dolly). You might need drop back, and work the boat forward.

If you get the boat ON the trailer, and mostly centered, and hitched up, but its still not all the way forward... 10 guys/gals can LIFT the boat up, while an 11th can winch the boat forward, and you'll get it where it needs to be... ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Good luck. Shame you aren't closer man... I'd be happy to help in the train wreck
its so cool to learn from those that know!

always a pleasure reading your posts...

I love my nissan 2 stroke dont get me wrong...and I wont sell it for cheap, BELEIVE ME having said that my kid and wife really react badly to the fumes...my kid is pseudo allergic to certgain smells and gets an ugly cough that has turned into bad colds...

anyways

I need to take a pic of my trailer and see where you think I can install that roller

I know exactly what you mean about riding the bow up...its just that I have never done a keel boat

I AM nervous however I want to do some maintenance on her...I really do love the boat...A LOT!

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #86 of 96 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
By the way Christian.. I bought one of these pre-feeders for my S2... and I have to say, it was a pricey, but worthwhile addition to my boat.
Spinlock Sail Mainsail Prefeeder

Was looking for a better picture of it, can't find one, but it slides down below the luff groove, and you tighten it in place. There are a pair of rollers on either side that feed the boltrope up into the slot, it really makes it so you can easily just hoist away, can even do it from the cockpit.

shnool preefeder is back ON it ws the old luff of the main that was too stretched and hence got stuck

new one once the rolllers were adjusted for sides is acting beatifully
I have a line on a 2012 kevlar racing genoa from NORTH SAILS about to happen

after that its saving up for the kicker...then its boat out of water and maintenance...then its florida and racing

dreams!

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #87 of 96 Old 07-30-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejai View Post
recently purchased boat that I shop vacuumed 300 pounds of water out of. laughed when I found a couple of sponges under floor boards---had read about that trick. ha ha What amount of water did you add to the bleach to clean the hull?
As for the brakes for trailer--guess you are talking electric brakes--try searching www etrailer dot com i was looking to put brakes on a homemade trailer and they were super helpful
seems we bought the same boat!

solution was straght bleach and cold water rinse...let it sit for a minute rinse

repeat as needed

perfect outcome as you can see without getting into more expense

Im still getting to places where mold was and cleaning those nooks

ps. I found out I have a new portapotty that is useable

now we can pee(wife) out there jajajaja
katiejai likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
katiejai (07-30-2015)
post #88 of 96 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

KEVLAR RACING GENOA ON IT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 155

here we go solo race prep

trailer about to be modified...then I need advice on bottom paint

vc17? whats out there these days for racing and or ocean trailer sailing?

coppercoat?

Im all ears

will be done on trailer though...

I hope

ps. backstay flicker project is on too!

post #89 of 96 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
schnool, aubrey where are you guys? I need some help

I need help getting the boat out of the water for maintenance

I want to fair and sand the bottom...and check the rudder for delamination

I have decided that given the fact that I have a brand new trailer that was only used once I must take advantage of the mobilty a trailerable boat offers

I want to take her down to florida and do some gulf and tampa bay sailing...eventually the goal is to solo ocean race her, maybe next year in a couple of gulf and east coast races...

so tips and suggestions on how to pull a boat up a ramp, how to engage trailer and keel in water and how to strap it if needed, correctly and what if any tips you guys have for trailering will be of great help

I should have a nice tow truck available to me shortly...

the trailer is a 2009...dual axle thing that came with the boat...thing is I never gave much thought to how damn nice and strong it is...new tires too...

I could also use input on BRAKE packages for dual axle trailers that can be added on later...

thanks so much

christian
A little late, but thought I would give you my thoughts. I just pulled my Merit out of the water a month and a half ago.

I agree with SHNOOL about the keel guide. It's absolutely necessary and makes it very easy to get the boat lined up on the trailer. Much easier even than regular boats. It needs to be high enough to catch the keel when the boat is floating though.

Merit 25s evidently don't have bow eyes, so I made a short loop of heavy line, hooked it through the bow chocks, and then connected it to the trailer with the winch while I pulled it out of the water. Afterwords I removed it and secured the boat with a ratchet strap behind the keel.

My trailer had an adjustable 20'-40' extension tongue that we used when backing the truck into the water. Even with a deep ramp and a 20' extension, the back of the truck was in the water. When we were unhooking the trailer to add and remove the extension I made sure we were on level ground and well chocked, but strap launching is a different procedure.

I did a lot of measuring and adjusting before I got to the ramp. When we pulled the boat out, I was only off by 2". The boat was sitting on the pads rather than the keel. I was able to lower each pad one at a time to get it to sit decently. I had 6 pads to work with though and you have to be careful. The correct way to do it is backing the boat back in the water, pulling the trailer out, make your adjustments, then pull the boat back on it.

I can get you the keel measurement if it helps you set your trailer up. I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and had to climb under the boat on the lift to get it. After doing so I found I needed to add an extra board to the keel rest to raise it a bit.

My main issue was the weight of the trailer. It is an ugly homemade steel trailer I found in Oklahoma that weighs 2200 lbs (see pictures and try not to laugh too hard). It also doesn't have any brakes. That puts it at 5500+ lbs with the boat on it, which exceeds the load carrying rating on my F150. I had to get a weight distributing hitch to pull it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
KEVLAR RACING GENOA ON IT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 155

here we go solo race prep

trailer about to be modified...then I need advice on bottom paint

vc17? whats out there these days for racing and or ocean trailer sailing?

coppercoat?

Im all ears

will be done on trailer though...

I hope

ps. backstay flicker project is on too!
I'm planning on using VC17 on mine after I fair the bottom and barrier coat it. I'm on a freshwater lake though. There is something called VC Epoxy that's recommended for trailered and lift stored boats. It doesn't have any antifouling in it. It looks like it's a lot harder to apply than VC17 though. It's for that reason that I think I'll go with the VC17 even though my boat stays on a lift.

There's also VC Offshore that I believe has extra antifouling in it.

Honestly, if you're not going to leave it in the water I wouldn't worry about the antifouling properties of the paint. People go with bare gelcoats.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0132.jpg   KIMG0133.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to CapnRed For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (08-06-2015)
post #90 of 96 Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter

crap maybe im underestimating my trailer weight...looks VERY similar to yours just less beams

hmmmm

I was looking for a discovery beater to haul my boat with...now I might have to rethink that option....

thanks so much for the post

Tags
j24 , merit 25

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in