SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Boat Review and Purchase Forum (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/)
-   -   Merit 25 sailors? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/176401-merit-25-sailors.html)

christian.hess 11-19-2014 12:10 PM

Merit 25 sailors?

Im about to buy a 1982...if anybody has particular helpful info with this model year I sincerely appreciate it

I specifically need help with:

blisters on the cored hull
slightly delaminated rudder and possible fixes that can be made on a trailer

best suit of sails for every day sailing in 10-15knots wind.

thanks

christian.hess 12-01-2014 06:14 PM

Re: Merit 25 sailors?

well we ended up buying the boat

a hell of a deal

with nice nissan 3.5hp longshaft

north sails racing mylar and kevlar/carbon sails and full suit of running rigging.

spinnakers, and hardware and

NEW TRAILER!

this is by far the best deal I have ever bought!

very excited to get into racing around here

peace

christian.hess 12-02-2014 08:52 PM

some pics!
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps94ea1459.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...psaaba0f48.jpg

killed some roaches...drained about 20 galons fo cruddy water from inside...took sails out...had some cider with my friend...took some pics and headed on home

aaaaaaaaaaaah first day of ownership!

big plans for this baby

peace

christian.hess 12-02-2014 08:57 PM

SailingUphill 12-02-2014 08:59 PM

Sweet! I know your feeling.. drill out and air out those blisters, and whatever you do, do NOT skimp on barrier coat. 4 coats minimum, 5 is better. Longboard the thing when you are done. Compound, polish, wax... As for core... well that's a whole novel of how to.

christian.hess 12-02-2014 09:02 PM

Im not even going there! it has a new barrier coat and 5 coats of antifoul of which 2 are black and 3 are red...its on the first red layer still

I do need to do some rudder work however well leave that for next year hauloyut...we want to enjoy the boat first

its comes with a full suit of north racing sails

2 spinnakers 3 jibs and one oroginal merit main replacement

full new running rigging gear and extra halyards

this boat was a serious racer as its been gutted too

I would love to get it back in shape

more pics to come!

peace

aeventyr60 12-02-2014 10:27 PM

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk Christian,

Impulsive buy, no survey, no insurance, no threads on buying the merit 25, very, very disappointed in you....surely your in for a lot of misery and countless dollars spent on an old production boat. Are you sure you shouldn't of spent that money on therapy for your sailing addiction? Do tell of your torment in making this momentous decision...all by your self.

SailingUphill 12-03-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 2409818)
Tsk, Tsk, Tsk Christian,

Do tell of your torment in making this momentous decision...all by your self.

Yes don't you know you should be sailing a Mac 26x, with a bluewater bucket? And you should have paid $400 for a survey for a trailer sailor you know.

All I can say is, I'm glad purchases don't require a committee.

The Merit 25 is a cool choice for racing.. Also it's pretty interesting to buy a race boat, you've stumbled across what I've personally found with race boats.. The owners are usually well informed, keep up with mainteance, that have upgraded their sail inventory, rigging, and outfittted the boats with all the go fast options. Usually the boats have decent bottoms. The biggest problem with race boats, is them not being raced/used for long periods, that means the owner stopped upkeep completely.

Again, Merit 25 should be a helluva lotta fun.

christian.hess 12-03-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHNOOL (Post 2410138)
Yes don't you know you should be sailing a Mac 26x, with a bluewater bucket? And you should have paid $400 for a survey for a trailer sailor you know.

All I can say is, I'm glad purchases don't require a committee.

The Merit 25 is a cool choice for racing.. Also it's pretty interesting to buy a race boat, you've stumbled across what I've personally found with race boats.. The owners are usually well informed, keep up with mainteance, that have upgraded their sail inventory, rigging, and outfittted the boats with all the go fast options. Usually the boats have decent bottoms. The biggest problem with race boats, is them not being raced/used for long periods, that means the owner stopped upkeep completely.

Again, Merit 25 should be a helluva lotta fun.

and bingo was his name oh!

thats how this boat was/is

Its got an awesome layer of black moss and grime that has the gelcoat underneath pretty pristine

inside there was rain water...its a lake so no worries with metal and stuff

mast is up but not tuned so the hull was nice and relaxed

in any case

elbow grease and some love and cleaning and we can sail on sunday which is the plan

I already took apart the outboard which just had some crud

I also did my patented pinesol bath for the lower unit and carb clean and we are good to go there

anywhoo

peace

next cleaning and washing sails, doing the downy rinse for my running rigging, varnish tiller and bobs yer uncle

no lollygagging here! ajajaja:D

christian.hess 12-03-2014 10:33 AM

ps Ill take tips for a quick compund buff and polish on the hull

since Im back in the states with all the cool products and stuff it will be easy

Im used to very labor intensive wet sanding and cleaning followed by rubbing compund however

Ill just bleacj the hull fine wet sand then use whatever products you guys can recomend

we have a buffing wheel and as soon as we haulout(well early next year) well tackle the side

btw the trailer is an awesome tandem axle 2 year old trailer! YAY