SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cabo Rico

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  trisailing 
#1 ·
I am purchasing a Cabo Rico ''77 36'' Center cockpit ketch. I would appreciate any information on Cabo Rico clubs, or specific info on that model. I understand only 35 where made.

#2 ·
The boat you are looking at is in fact a Tiburon 36 C/C ,35 built, later became the Cabo 38 which used the same hull mold and began production in 78. I own Tiburon hull # 10 1976, and have much in the way of info. The one you''re looking at wouldn''t happen to be in Deale Md. by the name of Maya would it? Stay in touch, I''ve done extensive refitting and can give you insight into problems you might run into. Tim Gill s/v Chalice Oxford, N.C. BTW, I bought mine at the same yard in Deale

#3 ·
Hello, I am also interested in purchasing a Cabo Rico Tiburon. I would appreciate any info you have on these boats. Timbuk2 I would like to know what speeds you sail at around 15 knots of wind and how she tracks on a close haul and down wind. I am looking to purchase the boat for extended cruising and would like to know the average motoring speed you have experienced. The boat I am looking at has a perkins 40 horse if that is comparable. ANy other information on sailing performance and problems common with this model would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Seing as the original post is 6 years old and that timbuk2 has only 1 post in that time period, I would not hold my breath wating for his response.

May be some others might be able to help you or perhaps you might want to concider starting a new thread. You may get more responses.

#9 · (Edited)
James;
Have you aquired a Tiburon? I did in Dec. 2010 in Titusville FL and have sailed it to our home in Ft, Myers. I'm trying to find the HIN (hull id number) with no success. It has been sanded off the transom if it was ever there. I think it was as I found the HIN listed on the National Vessel Documentation Center records. I'm hoping someone will reply to this with some help as to where the HIN might be in or on the boat. I have tracked the past ownership back to the person who bought and refitted her in 1995, but that hasn't helped finding the number on the boat! It is a great boat that is now 35 years old!!

Thanks for any replys, Charlie
"76 Tiburon 36 #8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.