Largest Trailerable Sailboat - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 118 Old 01-17-2015

Re: Largest Trailerable Sailboat

I love the design of the Alberg30 as well. I am wondering if you have ever been on a Cat27 so you could compare the two to interior space as well as deck space. The Cat27 seems idea for me for my next step, however if my family never took to sailing with me the Alberg could be my end boat. Plenty of room for two people and be able to take you anywhere you wanted. Just bouncing ideas around. Biggest problem with being in Kentucky not easy to just go out and compare boats you like. I did get to look as a Cat25 and a Cat27 side by side. The difference in room is way more than you would think. I was very surprised at the difference or maybe perceived difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 Old 01-17-2015

I have had the pleasure of sailing on one. Great boats. The Catalina 27 is a more modern design than the Alberg. Faster, and better to wind than the Alberg 30. A Navy colleague of mine sailed his Catalina boat from Norfolk to lake Lake Ontario. A couple from my yacht club took theirs to the Bahamas and back. They are one of the most popular sailboats in North America for a reason. As a coastal cruiser you cant go wrong in a Catalina. More modern layout below and roomier, The Alberg is a full keel the Catalina has a fin. But the Alberg has a very seakindly motion and is build like a tank. I would not consider the Catalina as a bluewater cruiser, The Alberg's seaworthiness and excellent reputation is well known. I chose it for this reason and this particular boat's was price was to good to pass. Your choice I guess depends on what type of sailing you intend to do. Like I said you cant go wrong with a Catalina....
chuck53 and Kyhillbilly like this.
post #103 of 118 Old 01-24-2016

I've been sailing my home designed and built flood-ballasted motor sailer, the LuLu, since her first launch in 2010 out of Morro Bay, CA. She is glass-over 3/4' ply wood, 33 ft by 8.5 ft, draws 2.7 ft fully settled, and has 6.5 ft headroom over 3/4 of her 17 ft cabin, on top of a 1 ft bilge in 1/2 of her cabin. She weighs 7000 pounds dry on her 3100 lb trailer, easily towable any distance with my 2015 3/4 ton Jimmy. Her flood hatches total 3 ft2 of bottom area, allowing to morph into 14800 lb ton cruiser just minutes or so after launch. The 540 ft2 of sail she mounts on her 30 ft mast will drive her at hull speed in a calm sea; her two 25 hp Hondas can add a knot or so to that whether or not the is any wind. LuLu's hull was first laid in 1993, after three years of testing with a 1/2 scale model I built first. We launch and sail her exclusively now out of Marina del Rey, CA, and are planning a full scale cruise to Catalina for this late spring.

I have always wondered if my LuLu isn't the largest trailerable sailboat on record. I invite any replies on that question, or on any other related subject that might be of mutual interest.

My address is old [email protected] gmail,com (Yes, at age 76 I'm still riding my most-treasured Hyabusa)

Brad C. Frederic, Paso Robles Ca.
The Following User Says Thank You to busaboy76 For This Useful Post:
garthbirdsey (01-25-2016)

post #104 of 118 Old 01-25-2016
El Chupa Nibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy76 View Post
I've been sailing my home designed and built flood-ballasted motor sailer, the LuLu, since her first launch in 2010 out of Morro Bay, CA. She is glass-over 3/4' ply wood, 33 ft by 8.5 ft, draws 2.7 ft fully settled, and has 6.5 ft headroom over 3/4 of her 17 ft cabin, on top of a 1 ft bilge in 1/2 of her cabin. She weighs 7000 pounds dry on her 3100 lb trailer, easily towable any distance with my 2015 3/4 ton Jimmy.
Can you please post photos of this vessel?
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #105 of 118 Old 01-25-2016
Barquito

Here is my boat, 'Fugly', at the launch ramp at my local lake:

Sal Paradise likes this.

Valiant 32
post #106 of 118 Old 01-25-2016

Your budget is pretty limited. I would recommend finding a Catalina 25, Chrysler 26, or if you want really cheap (and kind of ugly) a Bayliner. The real trick is that trailers alone easily cost 2-5 thousand dollars, engines for a smaller sailboat easily cost 400 to 1400 dollars.

I bought a 31' Grampian on put it on a trailer.........never launched it again till I sold it. I had a Catalina 25 with a swing keel that I got a great deal on.......never could find a reasonably priced enging.....then I sold it! (made a good profit). THEN I purchased a "project" Tartan 34-2 and a big assed trailer..........you guessed it.........never went in the water, I JUST sold it.

In the meantime I own a 16' Windrider trimaran and had a Gulfstar 37 in the water on Lake Norman, just sold it. NOW I have a Catalina 38, I am working on the bottom and will splash it soon.

Trailerable boats are a great concept but I think you need to stay small for it to be practical, probably under 28 feet and under 4000 lbs. Masts are much heavier and harder to deal with than you may think and they limit the practical size of the boat. My Windrider is the only boat that I have had that is easy to launch and fun to sail.
HR28sailor likes this.
post #107 of 118 Old 01-26-2016
El Chupa Nibre

FYI this thread is a year old and the OP has been banned, so no need to dole out advice. I was just curious as to what the homebuilt plywood flood-ballasted 33-footer looked like.
post #108 of 118 Old 03-07-2016
Senior in age only

Even with the original poster no longer a member here, threads like this are often of interest to others, who may have similar questions, or like in this case, members who are wondering what other largish sailing boats are suitable to be trailered.

For that reason I wonder if this 31 ft boat can be trailered easily.
(see photos below, the first one is borrowed from the web, as I couldn't find one I had taken myself, I believe it is the same boat) Largest Trailerable Sailboat-nis31.jpg
Largest Trailerable Sailboat-dscf2387sm.jpg

As this boat was for sale not far from me, I considered this for a brief moment: making an alloy trailer for it and towing it behind my RV.
That 'moment' passed.

That boat weighs in at 3500 kg (near 7000 lbs).
I see that this boat, Norfolk Island Sharpie (NIS 31), is now also available with an unstayed rig, cat-ketch.
nisboats : Norwalk Islands Sharpies : plans kits building sailing rigging & lots of boat stuff : Bruce Kirby Designs & Straydog Boatworks

Wishing you all sunny skies above, clear water below, fair winds behind, and a safe port ahead.
post #109 of 118 Old 03-07-2016

The weight of 3500 Kg (7,716 Lb) looks ok. That is less than my Nor'Sea. But the beam of 9' 9" you would need permits. Looks like a nice boat.

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #110 of 118 Old 03-07-2016

I hope the OP got the Clipper Marine he loved. As for the rest of us mortals, I would suggest, as a trailerable "larger" first boat that you look at the Catalina 27. Made in large quantities, cheaply had, and the one I sailed really did well in the larger waves. One that I know of has circumnavigated, and there is a book out there to show you how to make one seaworthy. I would still have it today if I didn't decide on a larger, semi-custom design.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in