25 year old boat with no deck leaks ? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter

25 year old boat with no deck leaks ?

After 10 years of being boatless I have started the search for my new to me old boat in earnest. I had always thought that a Tartan 33 would be the ideal boat for me and may still yet be but I have been looking at Ericson 32-3 and 32-200 as well from my short list. I have came across a one owner E32-3 fresh water boat that the owner claims has no deck or port leaks after 25 years and none of the hardware has ever been re-bedded or ports replaced. Does this sound reasonable? The pictures of the boat that were sent by the owner looked pristine but it's an 8 hour trip to get to the boat and he wants 20% more than what other asking prices are. I have looked at 2 other Ericsons and both had deck core issues as well as significant leaking around ports and hardware. I don't want to miss a chance at a meticulously maintained boat but I'm wondering if it is possible not to have leaks without rebedding the hardware ? Any thoughts or experience with this out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-10-2015

Re: 25 year old boat with no deck leaks ?

Yes it is certainly possible. Two factors I can think of. First she may have been only lightly sailed...no stress. Second, she may have avoided the biggest problem of all...that of an owner with a power drill and a West Marine catalog...if ya know what I mean.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 36 Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter

You may be right on both counts. The boat was sailed on an inland lake and from talking with the owner you can tell that it was his pride and joy. Maybe worth the extra 20%?

post #4 of 36 Old 05-10-2015

Could well be worth a premium.. but remember the 20% higher price is still just an asking price. Sounds, too, like a buyer that may be fussy about who takes his baby over, and maybe impressing him with your plans and abilities will result in a better deal than that.

Nothing like buying from a knowledgeable, anal PO!
sprega likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 36 Old 05-11-2015

Hi
I have boat Jeaneau 38 from 1986 no leaks at all.

Regards
Damir
post #6 of 36 Old 05-11-2015

Possible, yes. Likely, no. Just to clarify, this owner bought the boat brand new? You would want to know that no owner did anything stupid, like use epoxy or 5200 to insure they don't leak. Works great, until it cracks and you can't get the hardware or bedding material off.

Core penetration is my concern, not a deck leak itself. Leaks are not that tough to repair and I wouldn't pass on a good boat for needing anything rebed. I also wouldn't buy one, assuming it will never leak. If all is as advertised, it's just due for a leak.
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-11-2015

No visible leaks inside doesn't mean there is not high moisture levels in the core. Only a moisture meter and sounding will reveal if there are issues. Read this.
Understanding the Moisture Meter / Electrophysics CT-33 Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

I have an inexpensive Ryobi moisture meter and find it works quite well for this and at a fraction of the cost of the Electrophysics units.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-11-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
that of an owner with a power drill and a West Marine catalog...if ya know what I mean.
THIS^

Looked at a 1 owner 1986 S2 7.9 last fall. That put it at 28 years old. Boat was dry and sound in all the original locations for hardware on deck... with the exception of one winch (which the owner apparently used as a dock tie-off location)... everywhere the owner placed new hardware leaked and rotted core. Methinks the manufacturer was a little more particular about bedding/sealing hardware than the owner.

Oh and the owner grounded the boat with the daggerboard down. Knew he did and wasn't able to retract the daggerboard. I was willing to buy the boat even knowing the core issues, but he was not forthcoming with the details that the daggerboard wouldn't retract, KNOWING that I already had a trailer to come get the boat.

Yeah, I was NOT a happy camper.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #9 of 36 Old 05-11-2015

One of the biggest lies you'll ever hear...get it out in a seaway and see what happens when the boat starts to work......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-11-2015

Must have been kept in a dry barn or shed...

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in