Can anyone Idntfy my boat - SailNet Community
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-04-2015 Thread Starter

Can anyone Idntfy my boat

So I got a killer deal on this boat 200$ and she is 21-23 feet and a flush deck.

Anyone got a idea
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-04-2015

Re: Can anyone Idntfy my boat

if you look on the back of the transom, there should be a hull number probably in the upper right corner, three letters and some numbers. The three letters are a mfg code, here's a list around here somewhere..
post #3 of 17 Old 06-04-2015

I always knew these as a BC built "NorthWest 21".. but if you google that you get a WA built boat that is quite different. Whoever built your boat also built a 26 foot version. However I can't find a backup confirmation.

Sloop Jon B may remember these things..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #4 of 17 Old 06-05-2015
Senior Moment Member

It is a Northwest 21 built here and as Faster noted, not the Wa. built one.

There was also a 26' version but it's pretty rare. One was for sale in Delta a while ago but it was the first I've seen of them for many years.

The 21' is fairly common and a decent boat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-05-2015
Senior Moment Member

O/K I found an old book with the details on it - the name was changed to North-West 650. Designed in 1973 by John Brandlmayr which makes it just about his best looking boat ever.

Built by C.K. Wright in North Van. There were 80 built as of the publishing of this book.

LOA 21' 3"
LWL 18' 4"
Beam 7' 8"
Disp. 1800
Ballast 650
S/A 220'
Headroom 4' 6"

The 26' was called the North West 825.
Faster likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
Faster (06-05-2015)
post #6 of 17 Old 06-05-2015

Thanks Jon.. I thought you'd have that info, but with the only NW 21 hits that other one I was doubting myself..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 17 Old 06-05-2015
islander bahama 24

Smile Re: Can anyone Idntfy my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
O/K I found an old book with the details on it - the name was changed to North-West 650. Designed in 1973 by John Brandlmayr which makes it just about his best looking boat ever.

Built by C.K. Wright in North Van. There were 80 built as of the publishing of this book.

LOA 21' 3"
LWL 18' 4"
Beam 7' 8"
Disp. 1800
Ballast 650
S/A 220'
Headroom 4' 6"

The 26' was called the North West 825.
They look good but all brandlmayr boats look great.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-05-2015
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
They look good but all brandlmayr boats look great.
I beg to differ. I always found his boats to be bland and/or missing the mark in some aesthetic area. He was competent but no more IMO.

I have likened them to carpenter designed houses - very well built but short on artistry.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-06-2015
islander bahama 24

OK I can respect that. However his best known works are the Spencer line personally I love the classic lines of the s42 and the 1330

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-06-2015
Senior Moment Member

The 1330 was probably one of his best but compare it to a CC Norseman 447. The two boats couldn't be more similar on a general specification level but there is no comparison on an artistic level.

Spencers were one of the very best yards here in terms of construction but not in terms of style IMO.

Look at this Spencer 35 - beautiful hull but then he put that lumpy cabintop on it - I'm sure it had a very beneficial effect on the interior but it sure didn't on the exterior. There was lots of that sort of thing from John.
Attached Thumbnails
Spencer.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in