Downsizing to 25' to 30' - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-30-2015

Re: Downsizing to 25' to 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Christian.Hess,

Yes, I have seen the Marieholm 26 online but are hard to find, and they appear to be more on the West Coast.
I am on the East Coast would like to find a sailboat where I could sail her to the Chesapeake Bay and avoid transporting on the road.

I have removed Tartan 30 and Contessa 26. I love the Contessa but there is zero headroom in the cabin. Similar to the CD25 (not the 25D)

Although I am 'only' 47, my plans are to find the right sailboat to extend into my 50's, solo sailing on the Bay and / or with my 12 yr old son, and then start ocean sailing, at least coastal, as time will allow. So the sailboat needs to be seaworthy by means of upgrades or factory built, all within a budget. I don't want to sell my 36, and spend as much or more money on a smaller sailboat.

Top of my list: (keeping my search in the 26 to 28 range, maybe 25 if it is the right design but not more than 28)
Cape Dory 27 & 28 is towards the top of my list right now.
Some others that caught my eye and I am doing some research on are;
- Voyager 26 double ended cutter (Not many around in the US)
- Vancouver 27, cutter (Not many around, and seem to be slightly over-priced).
In fact that most of the sailboats I am looking at are slightly over-priced.... I don't have a set budget but I don't want to break the bank.

Bottom of my list
Albin Vega 27
Cape Dory 26 and 25D (older 25 has no headroom); (These are newer models and appear to priced much higher than 27 or 28, and sometimes even 30C)

One good thing is that I am no hurry but it would be nice to have her by late fall and be able to work on her in the winter.

I can help you search around here...some deals are too good to be true like my b oat and my friends...my boat was 1k with a new trailer!

just needed cleaning and bonus was it was an ex racer...but not heavily raced so it had mods and sails and goodies and expensive equipment that will last...

however I would not recomend my boat as a traditional boat of course...

deals can be had for ex racers however you have to adjust to the boat

not the other way around

a mac 25d will never be a j24 but a j24 or merit 25 can be day cruised and or lightly cruised down the coast....etc etc

cheers

Merit 25 sold...Islander 36 still afloat? who knows...Im still in Columbus, and back...I think...jajajaja!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 07-30-2015

Did not see any one talk about a Nor'Sea 27.

It IS the definition of a 'traditional' looking sailboat!

You can keep it on a trailer in the side yard. Costs less to sail and a LOT less not to sail. AND, it could take you around the world if needed.

You can see a lot more info on our web pages or Youtube pages, listed below.

Greg
christian.hess likes this.

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #23 of 31 Old 07-30-2015

Lightbulb Re: Downsizing to 25' to 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
There were a bunch of well made production boats in that size range that sailed very well. Consider a Cal 29. Solid boat. Maybe not as "classic" as you are looking for, but nice boat, easy to sail, big enough for when the family wants to come along and simple.
Good suggestion. Also consider an Ericson 29 or 30. Well built, fast, and well set up for cruising.

LB

post #24 of 31 Old 07-30-2015
I can't re Member

I love the look of the Ericson 31I, with the clipper bow and all. It would have been my top pick if you could get one from the factory with a tiller.

goat
olson34 and patrscoe like this.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-31-2015
Old enough to know better

Keep in mind you will likely take a bit of a bath (if you want to sell quickly and not have 2 boats) on selling your current boat, then buy a boat that will likely need a few thousand to be put into it once you get it to sort it out the way you like. So it may take quite a while to see any savings. So if you are reasonably happy with your current boat, and can handle single handing it you might consider keeping it. I don't see down sizing as a way to save money, at least not in the short term. Now if you really don't like the performance or looks of your current boat then by all means downsize. Just keep in mind that you may not see any financial gain for a few years.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
....Top of my list: (keeping my search in the 26 to 28 range, maybe 25 if it is the right design but not more than 28)
Cape Dory 27 & 28 is towards the top of my list right now....
Just yesterday I looked at a beautiful Cape Dory 27 in Gulfport, FL (near Tampa/St. Pete).

All original bronze fittings, well-preserved dark wood cabin (looked like I'd stepped into a time machine), original Yanmar 8HP, and despite the heavy rains we've had of late, a bilge dry as a bone in Arizona.

The only updates I saw were very well done - a seriously heavy stainless boomkin with double anchor roller, a similarly over-built stainless dodger/bimini frame with newer, dark green fabric (including over the eisenglass), and lines led back to the cockpit through clutches. The non-skid was worn in places and needs redoing, the coamings and exterior teak need refinishing, and we didn't take her out - but for someone in the market who really appreciates classic plastic, this boat is a must-see, IMO.

Not the boat for me, but for a CD/Alberg aficionado, absolutely. Not all that pricey, either.

Here's a CL link:
******** 27' CAPE DORY SLOOP******

Good luck!

Joe
Beneteau First 265, VT
OPB, FL
post #27 of 31 Old 07-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I love the look of the Ericson 31I, with the clipper bow and all. It would have been my top pick if you could get one from the factory with a tiller.

goat
Here is one with a tiller. Don't know if it is factory.

Scanmar International
post #28 of 31 Old 07-31-2015
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Here is one with a tiller. Don't know if it is factory.

Scanmar International
Good find sailpower. I wonder if it's also got a binnacle/wheel and they've attached the windvane to the emergency tiller. Fortunately I'm more than happy with my Orion, and can't think of anything I'd trade it for.

Have a good one,

goat
post #29 of 31 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Ericson 31 I are nice, double ended with spec data. About as hard to find as a Voyager 26. Looks like they only made 70 Ericsson 31I sailboats.
I was viewing and speaking to someone about a Vancouver 27. Asking $20k; sailed across the Pacific and it looked like it. Interior was in rough shape and exterior was worn.

I have been speaking to someone who owns a CD28 and CD27.

Unfortunately I saw a Ericson 28-2... I know, it is completely opposite from the type of design that I have been looking at but it is in nice shape and priced right. Displacement and ratios are fine. And it is near me. Every CD28 and CD27 is hundreds of miles away, at a minimum except for one that is priced out of typical market range.

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
post #30 of 31 Old 08-03-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

For something entirely different - have you considered a Nonsuch 26. To my eye traditional looking and very easy to sail. Not sure if any were made with a tiller. The Nonsuch 22 has a tiller, has standing headroom and sleeps 2. Cockpit would be crowded with more than four people I think. These boats are dead simple to sail.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in