Boat Recommendations - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 08-17-2015

Re: Boat Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcpm View Post
JimsCAL,

You are right - I am.

I consider myself on the lip of a large funnel. I don't know how long it will take the lake house to sell but I expect this buying process to take about a year or so. My heart says either a Ford F-250 4x4 pickup with large wheels (Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, etc) or Porsche Boxster (J80). My head is saying Honda Minivan (Beneteau, Jenneau, Catalina, etc) and my wife is saying go get the boat of your dreams. I guess I posed the question to determine if there is a Porsche Macan of sailboats that would offer me close to j boat performance with comfortable accommodations and a salty appearance for my proposed budget. I couldn't really seem to find anything and wanted to see if others knew of something I'm missing. My reason for posting now was to try to maximize the two days I'll be spending in Annapolis.

I'll probably be keeping to boat in Charleston or nearby. What I have learned from my past ownership experience is that: I don't like to trailer, that I used to judge a boat from the interior pictures - now I fully understand I'll be spending 90+% of my time in the cockpit and that for my purposes deck layout is important, shallow draft is nice but not essential, I loved my CD25 but dealing with a full keel at the dock with a ripping tide was not fun, my CD25 took a good bit of wind to move her, my H212 was way too tender for the family, and while my C30 was a great boat at the time it was just not as satisfying to sail as the j24 or j80, I don't have the time or aptitude for a project and I like newerish as opposed to olderish. So I think what I am looking for is something that has the accommodations of a Beneteau, the performance and underbody of a J Boat and the exterior of a Tartan all for a reasonable price! Sigh.

If I owned a house or condo at the coast I would buy a used j80 and be done with it - or maybe a nice j100 or AE28 if I was feeling rich. The need to stay overnight on occasion complicates things a bit from my perspective. A house at the coast isn't in the cards for another 10 years or so. I need something that should carry me until then and hopefully will continue to satisfy me for many years beyond that.

I threw the Marshall out there because: I think they are pretty, they seem to be ruggedly built, I think it would be easy to daysail with the family, while I've never been on one I did sit in a Sandpiper cockpit once and thought it was super comfortable, the centerboard means I could explore rivers and creeks and there is something to be said from a practical standpoint of owning a boat that is just 22 feet in length. Plus, they don't seem terribly expensive. I'm not sure lacking standing headroom would make me happy if I do cruise her and the thought of gybing in a blow does make me a bit weak in the knees.

For what I need a C30 or 30ish Beneteau would work fine. I was hoping to get feedback on other designs that would offer either more performance and/or a saltier appearance that would still fit my proposed budget and need to single hand from time to time.

My wife is being super supportive but I think I get one shot at this!

I hope this explains some of my schizophrenia!

I do appreciate all that folks have already contributed.

Andy
From what you have said I would skip looking at catboats. Most of the boats you have mentioned that you like have some sort of performance characteristics. Catboats do not. The are sluggish and so easy to sail that in my opinion they aren't much fun. I fell into the trap of buying one because I liked the salty looks. My boat isn't even a true catboat and I wish I would have bought something that was a little more performance orientated.

always in decline-never hitting bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 08-17-2015

Andy,

I threw it out there somewhat in jest, but seriously take a look at a Corsair 31. Nothing daysails like a trimaran, and you won't find a boat that is more fun to sail. The 31 is just big enough to have standing headroom, some accommodations, and carry enough gear. Single handing it may be the biggest problem, but add an autopilot and it will be fine.

Greg
post #23 of 25 Old 08-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

MarkCK I appreciate the candid response and I'm going to take your advise and wipe catboats off the list.

Stumble you have given me something very interesting to consider. I think the trimarans are a bit more than I want to bargain for. I think I'd like something a bit more traditional.

Anyone have any thoughts on a J88? A little less interior than I was looking for but I guess I can always find a hotel if I need one!

Andy

post #24 of 25 Old 08-22-2015

Nor Sea 27 if you wish to trailer
post #25 of 25 Old 08-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcpm View Post
Thanks for the replies.

MarkCK I appreciate the candid response and I'm going to take your advise and wipe catboats off the list.

Stumble you have given me something very interesting to consider. I think the trimarans are a bit more than I want to bargain for. I think I'd like something a bit more traditional.

Anyone have any thoughts on a J88? A little less interior than I was looking for but I guess I can always find a hotel if I need one!

Andy
The 88 is a whole different class of boats. You loose most of the interior, which is fine but it goes from a second home feel to camping.

In this class I would steal you towards the Seascape 27 instead of the J. It was intended for single handed sailing from the get go and shows it.

Greg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in