Boat Recommendations - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-12-2015 Thread Starter

Boat Recommendations

While I enjoy sailing I hardly consider myself an expert on sailing or on boats. I'd love to solicit the gallery for some recommendations on boats to consider.

I used to live at the coast and owned a Hunter 212, a Cape Dory 25 and ultimately a Catalina 30. The 30 was sold when we moved inland about 10 years ago. We have a cabin on a lake and I kept an O'Day Mariner for a couple of years. I have also sailed j24's and 80's and love the way they sail!

We now find ourselves not having the time to get the most out of the cabin and have it on the market. After long discussions with my wife, she has graciously allowed me to purchase another sailboat once the house sells.

I now live about an hour from the coast and plan to visit the boat about twice a month for a daysail for 2-4 hours with an occasional overnight and, ideally, I'd like to cruise for about week a year. About a third of the time I will sail with a buddy, about a third of the time with one of my kids and about a third of the time by myself.

I need a boat that I can ready and launch quickly, that I can single hand without much difficulty and that I can overnight on reasonably comfortably. My wife has no interest in staying aboard and I doubt that will change. I also have no plans for any ocean crossings - strictly coastal cruising and daysailing. I am a sucker for traditional aesthetics but tend to be a function over form kinda guy. I have a budget of up to $200K but I don't necessarily feel compelled to spend that much. I don't need new but I would prefer something less than 10 years old and really don't want a project. A boat that requires minimal maintenance is a plus. I've got a few ideas and I'll probably head to Annapolis this fall for the show to see what is out there. I'd love to hear what you all think will fit the bill.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-13-2015

Re: Boat Recommendations

Based on your criteria, especially the singlehanding, I would think something in the 30 foot range would work. Your budget is certainly generous enough to allow you to buy just about anything you want in that size range. Since you like the performance of a J, then start by looking at those as well as similar higher performance boats like a Bene First or C&C.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-13-2015
Freedom isn't free

Dock

For some reason I read "launch" as trailer launch...

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

post #4 of 25 Old 08-13-2015

Yes, go to Annapolis. Tell salespeople you have $200k to spend and I'm sure they will give you attention.

By "launching" it does sound like you are looking for something trailerable. Are you? What size range are you considering?
post #5 of 25 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the initial replies. I should have been clear in the original post - NO TRAILERING. I did hat with the Hunter and just isn't for me.
post #6 of 25 Old 08-13-2015

Not that I am in any way bias, but something like a Beneteau 381 or the smaller 361 would probably fit. Large enough to install a generator without real issues, have AC, a real gally, and reasonable comfort. Small enough to be easily single handed. I would suggest an electric halyard winch if you go this size however.

Price wise... You would be far less than half your budget.

Greg
post #7 of 25 Old 08-13-2015

Based on the experience you've had with various size boats, do you have an idea of how big a boat you want?

"Reasonable comfort" is too subjective. Some people are happy overnighting on a Mariner 19 and others want AC, generator, refrigeration and a dedicated shower before they'll consider staying overnight.

So, how big a boat do you want and what amenities do you need?
post #8 of 25 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Based on the experience you've had with various size boats, do you have an idea of how big a boat you want?

"Reasonable comfort" is too subjective. Some people are happy overnighting on a Mariner 19 and others want AC, generator, refrigeration and a dedicated shower before they'll consider staying overnight.

So, how big a boat do you want and what amenities do you need?
I am honestly not really sure. I'd like something that affords overnighting that is at least a step above camping. I am in the southeast so AC is desirable but not mandatory. Bug protection (i.e.bug screens) is. I guess in terms of size I'd say something between 25-40 feet. I'm really open to a variety of ideas.

Stumble I really like the idea of a 361. That is a boat I had never considered. That is the type of suggestion I am looking for - thanks.

Thanks for the responses so far.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-14-2015

For what you are talking about almost anything in the 30-38' range from Beneteau, hunter, Jeneau, Catalina, ect... Would work fine.

Greg
post #10 of 25 Old 08-14-2015

With the clarifications, I still think something about 30 foot or so and a good performer is what you want. A smaller lighter boat is easier to singlehand and I really don't see the need for a larger all out cruiser. Two boats that would be at the top of my list would be the J32 and C&C99. Both are quality high performance 32 footers with a decent interior of cruising. My kind of boats.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in