Thoughts on going from sailboat to motorboat? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 08-22-2015

Re: Thoughts on going from sailboat to motorboat?

Had a Rothbilt 19' with a Honda on the back. Was able the launch and retrieve easily by myself. Great boat for trolling, jigging and fly fishing. Never had a t top and only very low wind screen so easy to fly fish on. Very classy look as I kept bright work up to par. Heavy for size so not at all pukeogenic even when bottom fishing in the swells. Has lap strake hull for very dry ride.
Downside is they are not cheap and few turn over on used market. Sold mine to get a gold wing and still miss it. Sold for more than I paid but I wooded everything and put down epiphanes, replaced prop and replaced electronics.

Other boat to look at is Eastern. Friend (also a sailor) uses his for raking quahogs, fishing Blues and strippers. Helm is enclosed on three sides with t top on top. Never leaves the water

If I ever get a fish boat again it will be one of the aluminum welded boat they make in the pnw. Something like a pacific or the like. I come to believe in having stuff the pros use and less maintenance whenever possible. Still the Rothbilt was beautiful.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-22-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 08-22-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
With the risk of being dragged through the mud here, we engage in both power and sail boating. We even like to fish (the horror!).

I know it's Florida we're talking about, but we like Down East style boats. They are designed for the ride in a seaway, have keels, have single engines, are relatively fuel efficient, and are typically not fast by power boat standards. Get one with a wheel house and you might even stay dry in bad weather, and extend your boating season. Good boats for sailors.

The builders include Calvin Beal, Crowley Beal, Atlantic Boats (Duffy), Holland, Stanley, Webbers Cove, etc. Mostly small builders making commercial boats that a few crazies (like us) convert. They are over built for recreational use, and we like that. A few of them make boats in the low 20' range that are trailerable.

When the wind blows, we go sailing. When it doesn't and we want to get someplace we take the power boat.

Bet I'm not the only one here.
Yea, I can't imagine being out in the water in Florida without some way to get out of the sun. I would rather have some sort of cuddly cabin. The local Hudson river conservation group has what looks like a home made panga style boat that looks nice. I really like it but would not want to be out in the sun all day in it, especially in Florida. I would say an older sport fisher, but they are not tow-able but have enough cabin space below and are available really cheap, at least around here.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I use the sail boat. but would not use it very much if I had to go to the fuel dock an buy hundreds of gallons of fuel. sure they may go faster but why do you need to get there fast if it is time on the water that counts the most. and what do you do on a power boat during a long trip. you sit there and watch the auto pilot and when you are tired of that you sit there and watch some more. sail is sport with physical exercise, power boating couch potato, vegetable exercise .
Did a cruise with a friends power boat, never over 10 knots and pulled up to fuel dock at the end of the week and it was $750. did the same trip in the same size sailboat in which we did a lot of motoring because of lack of wind and the fuel bill was $62
they both have good points and bad points but in the pacific northwest full of nasty bars a powerboat is much more comfortable and safer. No substitute for brute power when crossing a bar to keep you out of trouble. Check out some of the utube videos of bar crossing.

post #24 of 24 Old 08-22-2015

You may also want to tak a look at some of the smaller power cats. I can recommend the Twin-Vee specifically. Fast, fuel efficient, very comfortable, and a lot of room for fishing.

Greg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in