Halman 20 boat launch-retrieval - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-26-2015 Thread Starter

Halman 20 boat launch-retrieval

Question: I am flirting with the interest of the Halman 20 and wanted to know from those that have owned this boat, or know of.. the trailer. Is this a boat (with its 2' 10" keel) that is able to be launched conventionally down a ramp as it is? Or will an extension need to be deployed? Or rope-lowering into the drink? Any thoughts or concerns are welcomed. MANY thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-26-2015

Re: Halman 20 boat launch-retrieval

I have a boat similar in size. You will need a steep ramp to launch and retrieve. Or one heck of an extension if the ramp is not steep. Guiding pipes installed on the rear of the trailer will help in guiding the boat back into proper spot. Launching these boats can be a chore. Some keep these boats on trailers in the off season only.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #3 of 3 Old 08-26-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Halman 20 boat launch-retrieval

2"10" isn't that big a deal...
4' and better, now THAT is a big deal.
Yep, you'll need (shocker) about 3.5' of depth before your car/truck floats, or you'll need an extension that'll get you to that depth. Or you can strap launch and you'll need to have enough strap until you get to that depth again before your car/truck floats.

By the way, cool boat.

This question can only be answered by you and your ramp conditions. Otherwise looks like you could easily launch and retrieve it... Consider a bow/keel roller for when you go to retrieve, when the angle of the trailer is way out of whack from the angle of the boat, the boat needs to ride-up to align properly with the winch.

I trailer launched my Capri 25 (lighter, but 4' of draft) initially without strap launch or extendable tongue... but our ramp is stupid steep (10 feet deep at 40 feet in)... Then I thought better and setup the trailer for strap launching. Tongue weight is a big deal for strap launching, too much and you can't get decent dolly wheels to support the weight, to little and the boat can flip backward on you.

While I COULD do it, I actually switched to my S2 7.9 partially due to the ease of launching. However, I think 2'10" would be tolerable.. My Capri 22 was 2'4" (much lighter than yours of course), but launching was never a big strain.

Yep, keel guides are a big deal too.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in