C&C 34+ or CS 34 or CS 36 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

C&C 34+ or CS 34 or CS 36

I'm starting to shop and these two boats are on my short list.

I'm hoping to grab someones attention who is thinking of selling but not involved with a broker yet.

The draft needs to be near 5 feet.

The CS must have the sugar scoop transom.

The boat must be located someplace between the Chesapeake and Maine, on the East Coast.

Thanks!

Edit: CS 36, typo on the subject line (should not read "S 36" maybe a moderator can correct that?).

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

Last edited by RobGallagher; 02-21-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

Re: C&C 34+ or CS 34 or CS 36

Corrected..and a clarification needed.. CS 36T or CS36 Merlin? Both great boats but quite different, and both represented here by various SNers so you should get good feedback.

Of the three IMO the C&C34+ (as you know, a 36 footer) is the 'sexiest' of the trio. If it has the same huge galley sink as the 110/115 that seems a water hog to me. Interesting layout and, for you, a continuation of brand loyalty.

I've always found the CS 34 somewhat awkward looking (talking row-away factor). The house runs a bit too far forward for my eye but I imagine there are benefits below from that. I've not been aboard one myself.

The two 36s both have pretty good reps, I think the Wall designed 36T is one of the most robust fin keel/spade rudder boats every built. Assuming CS maintained quality, the Merlin ought to be faster, but as good a boat. I don't think I've ever met or talked to an unsatisfied CS owner. The Merlin's double aft berth will be an advantage, while it's galley is a bit of a tunnel. I suspect the 36T's near vertical companionway ladder might be a bit of a shin buster but other than that she's beautifully tooled and finished below.

Nice dilemma to have!!
eherlihy likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

Love C&C boats, own an older one. Balsa cored hull of the 34 kind of scares me off. Sucks because I really like both the 34 and 37. Have since I was on one of the first 37s at the Toronto boat show back in the 80's.
Not sure if it is much of an issue having a cored hull or not, seen what happens to the decks......have a small spot to repair this spring on the cockpit floor where the manual bilge pump is/was.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

I think wet hull core is much less an issue than decks, though it does happen. Generally hull penetrations are well known in advance and a good builder will avoid using core in those areas.. and once done, they are rarely modified, moved or added to. Deck hardware is often moved around or added over the years so the odds on compromising the core are higher.

That said, I do know of a Buccaneer 305 that had such a saturated core in the hull that a drilled drain hole ran water for weeks. Apparently the area around some hull ports was not adequately sealed. Would not expect that kind of issue with established brands like C&C or CS.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #5 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

Sailed on dozens of C&Cs, live in the land of C&C they were built about an hour from me. Never seen a completely dry one.
Back in the day I was through their factory a number of times, part of the reason I like them, I've seen them being built.
I HOPE you are right about the hulls. Beautiful boats, be a shame to see them being scrapped due to moisture.
So much more character than the modern cookie cutter design boats.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

I was under the impression that only the 36 Merlin had a step in the transom, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

I spend a lot of time on my mooring so the step transom is important to me.

As for the cored hulls, a thorough survey should find any issues. Those boats were built 20+ years ago so I figure if it ain't happened by now it probably won't.

My current boat is a C&C 30 MKII, my previous boat was a C&C 30 MKI, I must be part Canadian.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I was under the impression that only the 36 Merlin had a step in the transom, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
You are correct - in that the CS36T does not have a transom step. But not ALL Merlins do either. It was a change down the production line. Not sure at what hull number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
..... I must be part Canadian.
Nothing wrong with that, eh??

Ron

post #8 of 32 Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

According to sailboatdata.com the Merlins were made to order with a choice of transom.
post #9 of 32 Old 02-21-2016

I wouldn't let a balsa hull scare you away. If they're dry and you don't do something to change that situation it should stay dry. And, if there is some moisture it can be repaired, vacuum bagging has changed the repair industry in a positive way. We like c&c's, they are nice boats and if you can find a Bruckman built boat you've essentially purchased a custom stick built boat. But the cs boats are very good boats to, excellent construction, better then production c&c I believe.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-21-2016 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
I wouldn't let a balsa hull scare you away. If they're dry and you don't do something to change that situation it should stay dry. And, if there is some moisture it can be repaired, vacuum bagging has changed the repair industry in a positive way. We like c&c's, they are nice boats and if you can find a Bruckman built boat you've essentially purchased a custom stick built boat. But the cs boats are very good boats to, excellent construction, better then production c&c I believe.
Agree about the cored hulls. My 30MKII has a cored hull and it surveyed well.

As for the Bruckman Yachts, unfortunately, I think they might be out of my price range.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in