What did I do wrong? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 77 Old 06-03-2016 Thread Starter

Re: What did I do wrong?

Yeah, I liked it a lot but didn't put too much of my emotions into it. I was being super practical & fair, being my own advocate & working around the broker's sales pitches that it was "all good." And it was, until the sea trial w/out the surveyor, then I was on my own trying to determine the reality of the situation (I couldn't haul out the torn, moldy sails).

You're all right, I dodged a bullet.

I for sure wasn't willing to pay what they wanted after that! Oh, and the lifelines were coated, it wasn't visible what condition they might be in, just that they were original & needed replacing ASAP.

I don't know about bringing a lawyer w/ me, maybe just a man?? haha
WheresTheBrakes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 Old 06-03-2016

you don't need a man just a book lol
https://www.amazon.com/Inspecting-Sa...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
post #23 of 77 Old 06-03-2016
One of None

Knowledge is power! Thing is.. they don't expect a lady to know things, so they (not saying only men) try to get over or intimidate sometimes in jest sometimes with intent. But; when she does have the knowledge.... then things go very much in her favor. I've done ok in this area.. but in others... I'm a doormat LOL

That boat was an embarrassment and they really thought you would bite is my take on it. A lazy do nothing owner.. a broker that had no facts or knowledge of the boat. they were hoping to unload to someone without the knowledge of knowing how bad it was.
goat and seabeau like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #24 of 77 Old 06-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller Gregory View Post
I really appreciate all your comments, I'm a female sailor/buyer trying to buy a boat & wanted to make sure I wasn't off track on this deal & somehow the difficult buyer.

The surveyor was actually great, he was kind of booted off by the broker for the main sail (not) coming out. I called him & told him about the fiasco.

Not bummed about the $$ I spent on the survey at all, it really did save me money. I wasn't going to pay more than my original offer (& a very generous one at that). It occurred to me the sellers might be difficult. The boat is actually in great shape, mostly because it seems as if it's hardly been used in the last 15 years. When I first got on & sat in one of the princess seats, it broke right away. It's just been sitting there, rusting.

I even said that if they can't get the price they want, I'd still take it @ my offer. The way they've treated me though, I'm done w/ this brokerage altogether.
"Lovingly neglected" thats what a surveyor friend of mine calls it. Best kind of boat, all you have to do is update it. Nothing worse than trying to undo someone's "I've got a better idea" in some of the boats I've seen.
Is the broker holding any your money? If so get it back, go get it back tell them your original offer stands after you get your money back and wait a day or 2. Then move on...
post #25 of 77 Old 06-03-2016
HANUMAN

FWIW, I meant a lawyer for all the legal/paperwork.
post #26 of 77 Old 06-03-2016 Thread Starter

They're sending my deposit back, I haven't checked the mail yet today.

"Lovingly neglected" would be the right phrase, I wouldn't say it was totally neglected. I don't want you all to have the impression that I don't like the boat & am floored @ what they're charging, not at all. The boat was in really decent shape & gorgeous!!

I just couldn't bite the bullet on their price knowing I'd have to buy sails & lifelines right away too. The price they wanted, with me buying the additional items & equipment it's starting to get into the price range of me just buying a new boat w/ a warranty.

I did tell my broker that if they can't sell it for what they want, let me know. I was just super irked by seeing it on the website.
post #27 of 77 Old 06-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller Gregory View Post
.....I was just super irked by seeing it on the website.
.. that should be its own word.... 'Supirked' Perfect!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #28 of 77 Old 06-03-2016

There are numerous stories like this all over this site.

I'm a believer in vetting who I deal with, including the broker and the seller. There are brokers (not all, but many) in my neighborhood who are in it for a long term relationship with buyers and sellers. Most people who are crazy enough to buy a boat, aren't just one and done, and the sailing community so small and close, that if anyone acts up, buyer, broker, seller, everyone knows about it. The scuttlebutt isn't hard to tap.

IMHO going forward, find a broker with a good reputation who represents boats that you like in your area, and work with them. I know, I know, the contract says they don't represent the buyer, but, in this small world the good ones understand that their reputation is all they've got, and you will be back (I know, this is your last boat, trust me it isn't).

That broker will steer you towards good boats, that are well taken care of. I'm not on the page that boats that sit still are well taken care of. They maybe cosmetically nice, but typically the stuff that matters is broken. IMHO buy a boat that is heavily used regularly by a knowledgeable owner who is proud of their boat. Get to know the owner. If you don't like the owner, you won't like the boat.

Trust but verify. Even with the best broker, and a good seller there can be surprises, so survey anything you buy. And don't forget to check the reputation of the surveyor.

This whole process is supposed to be fun. No one needs a sailboat, although most of us would much rather have one than not! If it isn't fun, then you are dealing with the wrong people.

Best of luck, and hope you find the boat of your dreams soon.
olson34 and Atlas like this.
post #29 of 77 Old 06-03-2016 Thread Starter

That's funny Faster

The prez of the brokerage got back to me & was horrified. She just needed to check & see what exactly happened before getting back to me, that's what the delay was.

That's why I don't want to "name & blame" (although I like that, never heard that one before!)

They're sending over my last offer for me to sign (holding firm, I think it's a REALLY fair offer - even if the sellers don't approve). They all kind of skipped this last step, this will just make it official & I'll get my deposit back.
post #30 of 77 Old 06-03-2016
HANUMAN

....but your deposite was already mailed.... Now you need to sign something before the mailman can stop the truck?
Atlas likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in