Cape Dory resale value - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 06-05-2016
HANUMAN

Re: Cape Dory resale value

One more thing... If the owner ever loved the boat, explain to him your plans to bring her back to life. Knowing that the thing isn't going into a dumpster via chain saw might bring him around to his senses.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 06-05-2016

I think your experience with the Bristol is pretty typical of the current boat market. So many boats available in that size and age range it's a buyers market. I'm shopping for a new to me boat, so many available every time I look I find something else I like!
post #13 of 25 Old 06-06-2016
Dakota Lee

Location: Virginia, South Dakota, Washington State, Key West Florida

Dock

I like Cape Dory Sailboats, a lot, especially my current tiller equipped 28.

That being said I would have to agree that planning on making money off a restoration is questionable. There are several Cape Dories that are currently available on the web that have undergone extensive renovation from the keel up and are price accordingly. While worth every penny due to their condition they appeal to a smaller set of sailors who want a turnkey boat and are willing to pay a premium price. The following link is an example of a company that has done Cape Dory renovations and seem to make it a money making proposition.

Restorations - Finger Lakes Boating Center

Recommend you visit the Cape Dory Association web site where you will find Cape Dory boats and their loyal followers. As you will note there are currently 28s that range from 12k to 30k and each are worth the price based upon condition and equipment. You will also find on occasion the die heart Cape Dory lover (noted by Rob) who will gift his boat over to someone willing to bring it back to full glory. However, as my admiral is quick and correct to point out, there is no such things as a free boat.

You didn't mention the Volvo Penta that you had available but the 28 accepts a Volvo Penta 2002 as a perfect fit. That being said that engine does not bring much additional value in terms of configuration. I know this because my 28 has a 2002, which I have had no issues with and have performed flawlessly for me.

Negotiate with the seller for a reduced price, bring the boat back to life and enjoy its use. Do a great job and you'll can recoup some of your costs while retaining all of the experiences. You will find yourself the owner of a Yacht which is to sailboats what a Jeep Wrangler is to an automobile.

I'll never forget the first two trips I took in my Cape Dory 28 when I was complimented about sailing into my slip at the marina (the bolt holding my heat exchanger had backed out resulting in my losing coolant) and the locals were all commenting about those Cape Dory sailors who sail everywhere and don't need engines. And arriving at Crisfield Maryland where a crew who had been stuck there for three days due to weather, expressed amazement that someone had sailed in off of Tangier Sound, only to look out from the boathouse and note, "O you have a Cape Dory, that explains it". Just remember to practice backing up and don't every try it in front of witnesses!

V/r

Pete
capecodda and seabeau like this.

post #14 of 25 Old 06-06-2016
Barquito

I think you could make this work: IF you have an engine that will fit in this boat, AND you can do the work yourself, AND you are willing to sail if for a few years and NOT make a profit. It is also possible you could find a similar boat that is ready to go for the same price (if you sell the engine you have).

Valiant 32
post #15 of 25 Old 06-06-2016
Old enough to know better

Biggest problem in this size range is there is little market for it. So it really has to be in extremely good shape. Keep in mind any boat asking $10,000 is going to likely sell for about $7,000 (and be glad to get it) so your already almost down to what you think you can get it done for. I don't think you would make money, but might break even if you got the boat for $2,000 or less. Keep in mind there is a lot involved in replacing the motor, even if a like for like engine. If it is just a little bit different you are going to be in for some significant work. Engine alignment is really critical, as in down to .1 mm. I would say it is more precise than the engine placement in a car. Often when replacing a motor yourself, the budget for miscellaneous stuff can easily go over $10,000 on top of the motor.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #16 of 25 Old 06-06-2016
Barquito

Quote:
Often when replacing a motor yourself, the budget for miscellaneous stuff can easily go over $10,000 on top of the motor.
Wow. That is more than what I would have guessed for a replacing a diesel with a diesel.

Valiant 32
post #17 of 25 Old 06-06-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Wow. That is more than what I would have guessed for a replacing a diesel with a diesel.
There was someone here who replaced there motor with an Beta, and as I recall that was what the miscellaneous ran into. I think it really depends on how much fabrication you can do, and how many tools you have access to. But this was self done.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #18 of 25 Old 06-06-2016

Although their draft is much too deep and impractical for my sailing grounds, I've always thought that the CD 31 to be one of the most beautiful sailboats ever built. Mr. Alberg really knew how to lay down a line.
Peter Janker likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-06-2016

Why take so much risk and put so much effort into a venture where the best you can hope for is to break even? If you like working on boats, find a boat you absolutely love, and spoil her rotten. Don't sell her. Make love to her by sailing her hard. She will love it. And so will you.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #20 of 25 Old 06-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Why take so much risk and put so much effort into a venture where the best you can hope for is to break even? If you like working on boats, find a boat you absolutely love, and spoil her rotten. Don't sell her. Make love to her by sailing her hard. She will love it. And so will you.
Best response yet. If it were me you would have just told me to buy the boat.

This is exactly what we're doing with our CD-33. We'll never have any hope of recovering in $$$ what we are putting into her, but we don't look at it that way. We are not even thinking of selling her, even though we probably will someday far down the line. We are just thinking of all the pleasure we will get from her, and just how happy the sight of her makes us. It's a love thing. You either get it or you don't. And some people don't even see boats that way. I guess for those people the $$$ better add up.
seabeau likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in