Am I Crazy for Considering a Hinckley Pilot Sloop two? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 64 Old 07-03-2016

Re: Am I Crazy for Considering a Hinckley Pilot Sloop two?

I'd say very sane. Good thread too. Below a link for some very affordable sanity.

1964 Hinckley Pilot 35 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 07-03-2016
s/v Tiger Lily

Now please take this with a grain of salt ... but once I had my old Pearson 35 docked next to a Hinckley Pilot 35 at a marina. The guy gave me a tour of his boat and we chatted a while. I was surprised how similar the overall design was between the two - nearly identical inside cabin, large elongated cockpit, similar deck layout and stern. Now you had to squint your eyes a bit to see the similarities, but I thought at the time that this boat was the model to motivate me through my boats long restoration. They are kind of like twin cousins where one kid is brought up with seersucker suits and crudites and the other is blue collar and baked casseroles. They are both pretty boats, but one is a little more pretty than the other. I still have a lot of work to do.
chef2sail, seaner97 and seabeau like this.

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
post #33 of 64 Old 07-03-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

another grain of salt .. anyone who buys any sailboat has to be a little bit crazy!!

P.S. take this post with a bit of humor!! /././././././.
dvuyxx, seaner97 and seabeau like this.

post #34 of 64 Old 07-03-2016

I'm glad people love taking care of historical pretty boats like this Hinckley: Other people. But my opinion, and I know you have all been waiting for my opinion, is such boats are but plastic reproductions of even older wooden boats. Not even particularly advanced wooden boats. Which is fine for some. Slow underway. Rolly and prone to pitching at anchor. Dreadful in all ways but appearance. And the price. And the maintenance of all that woodwork. Kudos to anyone who takes on those penalties. For me, I take any number of designs that take advantage of the fact that a plastic boat does not need to be heavy and shaped to suit construction with planks.

So, yeah, you are crazy. Somewhat crazier than some of us. A crazy Museum of Sail curator.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #35 of 64 Old 07-03-2016 Thread Starter
Chesapeake Sailor

Tripp, Stephens, Alden, Nielsen; the pantheon of great yacht designers producing the finest vessels of their time which you now call, "Not even particularly advanced wooden boats." That is an opinion not supported by the evidence. The fiberglass boats were modeled on their wooden predecessors because their exclusive clientele demanded vessels that were of the highest quality that performed well, which they are to this day. The Pilot 35's speed is comparable to today's lighter 30 foot production boats. Your description of anchored characteristics is not borne out by my hundreds of nights aboard where the narrow beam and extra weight produce a cutting of waves that are normally coming down the bow. Very comfortable and quiet nights. But I agree it is dreadful having a boat that is rock-solid after 50 years, no blistering, no balsa coring to fail, and attractive. Just dreadful.

Production boats offer a list of advantages, racers a different set, and classics yet another set. I'm sure everyone appreciates informed contributions whether they be positive or critical.
JimMcGee, seaner97 and seabeau like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
post #36 of 64 Old 07-03-2016 Thread Starter
Chesapeake Sailor

For those considering a CCA era boat here are some reviews on commercial sites. While nothing in the sailing world is unbiased at least these articles are by people without skin in the game. Start with a couple of minimal content Pilot 35 articles:
Getting out on a Hinckley Pilot ? The Hand & Eye
A Down East Idyll, with Hurricanes! - Sail Magazine

Here are few of the Pilot's larger sister, the Bermuda 40. The history and vessel construction discussions are applicable to both boats:
LUXURY YACHTS BY HENRY R. HINCKLEY & CO. - CSMonitor.com
BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Bermuda 40
HINCKLEY BERMUDA 40: Everybody's Dream Boat

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
post #37 of 64 Old 07-03-2016

GeorgeDog: I'd think you'd be crazy for not considering a Hinckley Pilot Sloop!
post #38 of 64 Old 07-04-2016

The title of this thread reminds me of the purchase of my Holby Clearwater 35 in Clearwater Beach, FL.

Having put my "new" boat in commission for the 1700 mile delivery trip to Mystic, I noticed a Hinckley 35 that had just been trucked from Essex, CT--about 23 miles from Mystic--to its new owner in the Clearwater area. When I jokingly remarked to the yard manager that maybe we should have swapped and avoided the long delivery trip in 2 directions, his response was equivalent to, "You'd be crazy to swap the Clearwater for the Hinckley, based on sailing qualities alone."

I can understand the Hinckley cult mentality. The Pilot is a pretty, well-built boat for its era, but the elitism of some Hinckley owners can get a bit tiresome, like that of the New York Yacht Club. If you wonder how elitism is received by mere mortals, ask the locals (including harbormasters) where the NYYC has stopped on their annual summer cruise.

P.S. Several years ago, I needed a tow into a port that had been invaded by the NYYC. The towboat operator informed me that there were no moorings or slips available for sailboats. When I told him I could adjust my draft to 2', he arranged for a slip that had 3' at MLW. Had that not been available, I could have anchored inside in a shallow area. A Hinckley Pilot would have had to anchor outside.
post #39 of 64 Old 07-04-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

There's a Hink in my harbor. Only boat that has everyone in matching outfits. Some of the tack that goes along with some Hink owners is the same thing that gets them to dress in Salmon colored shorts with Scotty dogs on them. A certain amount of disposable income insulates a crowd from good taste and makes them annoying to the rest of us, but it doesn't negate the fact that the Hinkleys are some darn good boats. FWIW, I still don't understand the idea of equating speed of a sailboat as the apogee of the worth of a boat. If you want to go fast, they make motors and airplanes. It is cool that the Clearwater can essentially beach like a swing keel C22, however- Although that is what most of us carry tenders for, and my 3'9" gets me most places I want to go.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #40 of 64 Old 07-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
There's a Hink in my harbor. Only boat that has everyone in matching outfits. Some of the tack that goes along with some Hink owners is the same thing that gets them to dress in Salmon colored shorts with Scotty dogs on them. A certain amount of disposable income insulates a crowd from good taste and makes them annoying to the rest of us, but it doesn't negate the fact that the Hinkleys are some darn good boats.
This makes me think I should buy one! Just to bug "those" people.
Dickies coveralls and workboots would make fine Hinckley deck wear. Couple big crazy howling dogs onboard, maybe some burlesque performers I know.....
Kind of like the time we had the Presidential Suite at the Fairmont Banff Springs.....

Trip Advisor
"If one is wanting the room experience of a lifetime, stay in the president's suite. It encompassed the top 3 floors of the fairmont. You have balconies surrounding the entire building, massive fireplace, winding staircase to the 3rd floor library,grand piano, drop dead views from every window. We have stayed in many presidential and governor's suites. This is the best."

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Tags
cca , hinckley , pilot , pilot 35 , quality

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in