US (Bayliner) 22 or Chrysler 22 - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By SailingUphill
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB
  • 1 Post By guitarguy56

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-05-2016 Thread Starter

US (Bayliner) 22 or Chrysler 22

I was looking into purchasing a small but comfortable sailboat in the 22ft range. I found both a US 22 and a Chrysler 22 well within my price range and was wondering which was a better bet. Both of the boats have hulls very good condition with no soft spots, blisters or any damage above or below the water line. The US 22 is in very good original condition and would need almost no work. The Chrysler needs a bit of work on the interior but that isn't a problem for me. As someone who has both dinghy and cruising experience I am looking for a boat that is a good balance between the two.

Any advice helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2016

Re: US (Bayliner) 22 or Chrysler 22

I would suggest you for buying Chrysler 22. Though you need to work on its interior, which is not a big deal, but it is one of the most reliable in that range. Also experiencing boating with it takes us to some another level. But yes, be cautious of its transportation work. After buying it, the task on which we generally ignore is its shipping to our destination. One should properly research on boat transport safety norms so that any damage could not compel you to add unnecessary bucks on it.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

I'd disagree, and go with the US 22. Work is done, and it's likely a better sailing boat.

My father owned a US 27, and my brother a US 25, both boats were nice sailing boats... the quality on them wasn't great, and they tended to rot at the chainplates early (leaky windows too)... but their sailing characteristics were good, and stood up to weather well. I think the US 22, was a Gary Mull design... good boat lines to look at too. I'd personally prefer the fin keel model.

I can't help but confirm myself, thank you sailboatdata!
US 22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
RichH and guitarguy56 like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-11-2016
Senior Moment Member

The US 22 was a re-do of the Ranger 22 which, IIRC, was a Mini-Tonner.

IMO it was one of Mull's prettiest small boats and the US version deck did not improve on its looks but the hull remained the same.

PHRF's for both are around 260 so overall performance is not really a factor.

If it was me I'd buy the one I liked better.
guitarguy56 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2016 Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you. Just on the subject of transportation, both have their own trailers (even though the US is Fin-Keel) and I have a friend who is willing to lend me his truck. both are located within 80km of my house (where they would be worked on in a heated tent) and within 50km of the lake they would be sailing on.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
Thanks to all of you. Just on the subject of transportation, both have their own trailers (even though the US is Fin-Keel) and I have a friend who is willing to lend me his truck. both are located within 80km of my house (where they would be worked on in a heated tent) and within 50km of the lake they would be sailing on.
The US-22 with the fin keel will be a blast to sail and race... I had the US-25 fin keel up in Seattle and it was a joy to sail the San Juan's and all over Puget Sound! Excellent construction and a Gary Mull design you couldn't go wrong. I had a well kept boat from the previous owners, no leaks, and other than the carpet against the hull I had no issues. You mention having a trailer for this boat... better yet! I did not have a trailer for mine and wanted to transport it for my son, but it was better to sell it to a fine pilot/sailor in Everett.

I lived on the US-25 for a year while on assignment in Seattle so knew it's in's/out's for that model and they are once again well built boats if kept up by the previous owners.

Good luck with your choice but my bets are you'll pick the US-22.
SailingUphill likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-12-2016
Above 5 knots

Dock

I'm happy to see others liked the US product line... they are a highly bashed boat, or at least were, but I think time has proven some of the bashing was warranted, but mostly they've held their own among some of the better known brands of the time.

I can't imagine having lived on a 25 foot US... they were large for 25, but not THAT large... That to me would be camping

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in